The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

29 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think it’s more nuanced than that through. We can do better in midfield this season, as his final ball/decision isn’t particularly good. With development this can improve. We obviously don’t want to lose him this season, but we need to decide who has the greater potential out of him and Reading - I would imagine it’s quite possibly Maxwell but we don’t really know.

McCall won’t be signing him as a midfielder, it’ll be as a left back. If we want him permanently then your only option is to release Reading.... on a budget like ours you can’t run with both and shoehorn one in. 

That's a good point. On top of this we have Ecrepont in reserve who has been given next to zero game time. Don't know how good he is but comes with a decent background that suggest he could turn into a first team player. I wonder whether other clubs and managers at our level  would have tried to get him more game time 

I know we probably need 6-8 to be challenging for promotion but to be fair that boats sailed and the best we can hope for is finishing 6-8. Obviously if the opportunity is there to get someone in for the next couple of years then great, but if we are lining up like this after Jan we should be more than capable of staying up

Adams,

New RB, 

New CH x 2

Reading

Bradley

Murdoch

New CM

O'Connor

Moffat 

Adeloye

Subs, Albinson, Ecrepont, Baird/Fjortoft, New CM, New winger, New CF plus however is left. Anyone not listed I wouldnt miss

Im assuming that Muirhead is away, otherwise he would start and Maxwell, who would be equal with O'connor on who starts so dependant on form.

Im thinking if we lose Muirhead, then 2 new CH's and 1 CM as definite solid actual signings, get those right and we will be clear of relegation. then the new players on the bench I would be happy with loans to see us through to end of season.

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

I know we probably need 6-8 to be challenging for promotion but to be fair that boats sailed and the best we can hope for is finishing 6-8. Obviously if the opportunity is there to get someone in for the next couple of years then great, but if we are lining up like this after Jan we should be more than capable of staying up

Adams,

New RB, 

New CH x 2

Reading

Bradley

Murdoch

New CM

O'Connor

Moffat 

Adeloye

Subs, Albinson, Ecrepont, Baird/Fjortoft, New CM, New winger, New CF plus however is left. Anyone not listed I wouldnt miss

Im assuming that Muirhead is away, otherwise he would start and Maxwell, who would be equal with O'connor on who starts so dependant on form.

Im thinking if we lose Muirhead, then 2 new CH's and 1 CM as definite solid actual signings, get those right and we will be clear of relegation. then the new players on the bench I would be happy with loans to see us through to end of season.

The difference in the players morale and attitude over the last few days has been very noticeable, I am hoping that this shows through on the park , could be the problem has been the atmosphere driven  by the previous managers attitudes to how they wanted the team to play and a number of players suffered under that like Moffat ( especially under Duffy ) Bradley ( under Duffy ) and O’Connor under Hopkins , the guys look like they are enjoying training again 

Edited by Finlay21

Realistically January is normally quite a hard period to get players in. We’re likely looking at players deemed not good enough at their premiership clubs and loans. I expect 4 or 5 to come in with the same amount (hopefully) being fired into the sea.

I’d like to see players coming in on longer term deals than just the end of the season which will allow us to build for next season regardless of what league we’re in however not sure given our perilous position if that will be possible. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I think it’s more nuanced than that through. We can do better in midfield this season, as his final ball/decision isn’t particularly good. With development this can improve. We obviously don’t want to lose him this season, but we need to decide who has the greater potential out of him and Reading - I would imagine it’s quite possibly Maxwell but we don’t really know.

McCall won’t be signing him as a midfielder, it’ll be as a left back. If we want him permanently then your only option is to release Reading.... on a budget like ours you can’t run with both and shoehorn one in. 

Reading will almost certainly leave in the Summer.  As a player we can develop and potentially sell on for a fee, Maxwell is exactly the market we should be looking at.  

I haven’t actually seen much to make me think that he is a left back - he’s not particularly strong in the tackle or good in the air.  Think he played more as a wing back for Queens, but might be wrong.  I think he could well develop into a strong running midfielder.  He managed to win man of the match against Accies despite playing as a right midfielder which says a lot.  He might be a bit raw at times, but he’s been one of the few bright spots in this grim season.

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Reading will almost certainly leave in the Summer.  As a player we can develop and potentially sell on for a fee, Maxwell is exactly the market we should be looking at.  

I haven’t actually seen much to make me think that he is a left back - he’s not particularly strong in the tackle or good in the air.  Think he played more as a wing back for Queens, but might be wrong.  I think he could well develop into a strong running midfielder.  He managed to win man of the match against Accies despite playing as a right midfielder which says a lot.  He might be a bit raw at times, but he’s been one of the few bright spots in this grim season.

It is definitely possible that he could develop into a midfielder. In terms of qualities to play from full back, he drives from deep with the ball very well at times. 

I obviously agree he is the type of profile of player we should, and I’m sure will be looking at. If we knew Reading was leaving, it would be a no brainer. 

10 minutes ago, HMIP said:

To be frank, if Reading leaves its another missed opportunity. He's exactly the sort of player we should have been signing on a 2/3 year deal, developing and looking to sell on. The trouble is that anyone who joins us is reluctant to sign for more than one season which makes it all the harder.

If we are to sell players on then it's infinitely better to bring our own players through who we should be able to tie on longer term deals. This should be supplemented with youth players released or loaned from Premier league clubs (like Maxwell) however it's hard to get them signed for so long.

Also, Rangers are a bit cannier now than they used to be. They usually insist upon an initial fee, a buy back or first refusal and a percentage of the next sale. Which reduces the amount you can make if you successfully develop the player. I'm sure that's the arrangement with Houston although he's probably not a great example.

Maxwell has been a bright spot but he's still a square peg in a round hole at the minute. He should be left mid or left back but obviously then displaces O'Connor or Reading. Playing him at right mid must be hellavu frustrating for him and I can't imagine would make our task any easier to sign him permanently. Especially in the absence of the new manager.

Finally, Thistle will probably chuck more money at him as well. As they did with Smith, it's frustrating but it's where we are at the minute. 

4 hours ago, eez-eh said:

They got rid of nearly a dozen players including bringing in over £250k in transfer fees.

I can’t see many teams lining up to take any Ayr players in January, never mind spend money on them.

Yes and they also built a team that without much change won the league the following year, we don't need to reach that much.