The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Agreed. Rowe should be starting games, he offers much more going forward and isn't any worse defensively.

He would surely have been an improvement defensively today too, Houston was rinsed time after time from Gibson. 

If Rowe doesn’t start next week then he’ll be wondering why he bothered coming here, particularly as he was one of Bullen’s own signings. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Aye, Houston and Maxwell in particular were so so poor today. Houston I just don't think is near good enough to be a championship starter. Maxwell also blows very hot and cold. Cold far too often.

The relatively decent performances that we got from Dempsey and McInroy today only helps the theory that we should have gone 4-4-2. Muirhead at the back or on the bench and 2 up top. If any of Murdoch, Dempsey or McInroy are out for any games in the run in, we have to just go 2 in the middle. Shoehorning a mediocre CB into centre mid just doesn't work.

From about the 10th minute onwards it was clear we needed to switch it up and find a way of playing that could actually create chances. Tomi came on far too late. He had some decent moments, was unlucky not to have assisted/scored and granted he did have a couple of poor touches. But he offered a lot more than we had all game and actually caused their defense problems. He is far and away our best attacking option.

Agree with others on here, he gets a ridiculous amount of criticism from the crowd compared with others. 

4 hours ago, AuAl said:

Very few with pass marks today. Muirhead in the middle just never works. Maxwell had a shocker. McKenzie out wide does f**k all against a team like queens at home. Really disappointing one after the last couple of results.

We offered so little. At home, with the forward/attacking midfield presence we now have, we should be able to take a game to QOS.

But you didn’t. You so didn’t 

Edited by lesterplunkett

3 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

But you didn’t. You so didn’t 

I see you've edited your original response because you realised it wasn't me that told you to drink at the Prince of Wales. 

Am I to believe that a bunch of queens fans went looking for that pub?😂

5 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I see you've edited your original response because you realised it wasn't me that told you to drink at the Prince of Wales. 

Am I to believe that a bunch of queens fans went looking for that pub?😂

Hardly! Only thing we went looking for today was 3 points. 

That defeat goes down to Bullen for me NEGATIVE set up, making two changes when one was needed midfielder for midfielder and a wasted 45 minutes when changes should have been made at half time. Not one player played to any related form and Queens knew we were away from them if they lost and all over the park we were second best and should be on there mantle piece now or will be when we go back down there.

FAR to passive for me Bullen don’t like how he sets up at home lost count of the times we had no one up the park when they had corners, how on earth were we meant to get out and they just took the invitation to pile in.

8 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

Hardly! Only thing we went looking for today was 3 points. 

Well you clearly cared about it enough to come on here having a go (at the wrong person).

Hope you enjoyed your big day out.

Edited by AuAl

Am I to believe that a bunch of queens fans went looking for that pub?[emoji23]
Please tell me I had QoS fans looking for the Prince of Wales? Would liked to have seen the original response! Maybe try The Horseshoe next time [emoji106]

We started sluggishly yesterday, stood off far too long for their goal and despite a bit of a late flurry, ultimately got what we deserved. 

O'Connor's effort right at the end summed up our overall quality in the final third as well. People taking extra touches or a dreadful first touch to begin with. Nobody actually picking their head up for that final pass or cross, just swing it in and hope for the best. Their keeper didn't have an awful lot to do. 

Our fate is still very much in our own hands and everyone else drawing means it's not as bad as it could've been. 

We might actually be a team that at the moment playing away from home suits better. It happens in football and it's for the management team to find a solution to. 

13 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We started sluggishly yesterday, stood off far too long for their goal and despite a bit of a late flurry, ultimately got what we deserved. 

O'Connor's effort right at the end summed up our overall quality in the final third as well. People taking extra touches or a dreadful first touch to begin with. Nobody actually picking their head up for that final pass or cross, just swing it in and hope for the best. Their keeper didn't have an awful lot to do. 

Our fate is still very much in our own hands and everyone else drawing means it's not as bad as it could've been. 

We might actually be a team that at the moment playing away from home suits better. It happens in football and it's for the management team to find a solution to. 

Yeah, with the weather conditions and bobbly pitch, effort and winning the ball were the effort of the day yesterday. which we didn't do. Not the first time we have been better suited to playing away, sure McCall said that a few times during his tenure. With Raith having an all weather and having not won in 10, that's another game we can win, depending on how we set up of course.

Yesterday was really bad.

We obviously missed Murdoch but even so playing Muirhead in midfield rather than going 4-4-2 with Tomi up top was a criminal decision. How Bullen didn't come to realise that until 60+ minutes is even more frightening. We had a bench of 9 and 5 subs and he stood there doing the square root of f**k all. It really was like Duffy and/or Hopkin had taken over.

Onto the players. Several gutless performances. Queens looked more up for it and wanted it more which is unforgiveable given the importance of the game.

We barely won a second ball all game. Maxwell, McKenzie, Houston, Baird, Muirhead (in midfield) all stunk the place out. The remaining players were just about 6/10 if I'm being generous. I would have struggled to pick a man of the match.

All the positive momentum has now evaporated. We actually had a decent attendance as well and the team produce that utter garbage, it really doesn't help. 

I do worry we are retaining too much of this squad. Hopefully yesterday is a reality check for Bullen, we're still in the mire and he needs a plan B when plan A (4-5-1) isn't working. We cannot be so inflexible.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

All the positive momentum has now evaporated.

It really hasn't or certainly shouldn't.

If we start feeling sorry for ourselves that's when the problems really will start. It was a 1-0 defeat yesterday with valid reasons for it. We weren't great, that's for sure, but we were far from a lost cause either. 

Nothing was going to be straightforward to stay up, all 5 teams are still tightly placed. 

We've got more to be positive about than not, something I definitely wouldn't have said or thought under Hopkin or Duffy. 

Keep believing.