The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, rb123! said:

For all the moaning being had out of interest when was the last time we actually got to the QF of the Scottish Cup? I'm thinking back to Brian Reid days?

2017 against Hibs I’m sure. Scott McKenna red card and McGuffie wondergoal. 

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

2017 against Hibs I’m sure. Scott McKenna red card and McGuffie wondergoal. 

Yeah forgot about that one

*Wouldn't mind a trip to the capital for Hearts away IMO, probably be my most preferred tie by avoiding the ugly sisters and Killie, still a good payday too*

Edited by rb123!

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Yeah forgot about that one

*Wouldn't mind a trip to the capital for Hearts away IMO, probably be my most preferred tie by avoiding the ugly sisters and Killie, still a good payday too*

Aye, I've never been to Tynecastle. Would also mean seeing Sir Lawrence & Forrest again. 

43 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, I've never been to Tynecastle. Would also mean seeing Sir Lawrence & Forrest again. 

I've been to Tynecastle once and it's a happy hunting ground, we slaughtered them 5-0 and there were good times in the away end (other than by a weird contingent of Aberdeen fans who had somehow got tickets).

Unfortunately this was the game https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14486531.

I'm not sure the Honest Men would score five against Hearts. At least not away from home... 😉. But it would be a twenty minute bus ride to get to the game and a good pay day for Ayr.

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

Jesus that was grim viewing until 88 minutes. It’s a no brainier, 4-4-2, with McKenzie or Bryden up with Dipo. Smith and McAlear were awful, and Mullin just didn’t get into the game at all. Would have loved it if Dipo’s chance at 1-1 had went in, but we got there eventually. I really don’t know who I want in the next round, but I’d rather avoid Rangers or Killie. We’re well overdue Celtic home or away, or Hearts away. Definitely going to be ICT away though isn’t it? 

14 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

We’re well overdue Celtic home or away

When was the last time we had Celtic away? I've been going regularly since about 1992 and can't remember ever having them away.  Seen us play them at home in mid then late 90's and also in the semi final at Hampden but can't ever remember going there 

7 minutes ago, Hursty said:

When was the last time we had Celtic away? I've been going regularly since about 1992 and can't remember ever having them away.  Seen us play them at home in mid then late 90's and also in the semi final at Hampden but can't ever remember going there 

92 would have been the last time at parkhead .would love too get a trip and tick another ground off .them or hearts ..

I think Bullen is possibly in the McCall realm of managers - maybe not the best tactically at times, but an excellent man manager and creates teams with a fantastic work ethic and will to win. 

I do think the formation is being fixated on a bit too much though, it’s the deployment of the 4-3-3 that’s been the issue IMO. The link between central midfield and Dipo just hasn’t been there. I thought that was going to be McAlear’s role though - but he hasn’t been played there so far. Not like I can say that we don’t look more effective in an attacking sense in the 4-4-2 though! 

Edited by No_Problemo

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I thought that was going to be McAlear’s role though

Same - will obviously give him time as he's clearly not fit and has done very well at this level before but he looks miles off the standard of McInroy for example

27 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

92 would have been the last time at parkhead .would love too get a trip and tick another ground off .them or hearts ..

Only time I've been at Tynecastle was 1998, was on the Valspar / Ayr Boswell u13/14s bus and we broke down at some point on way home.   Lost 4-1 to a very good Hearts side, Finbogasson in nets having a stinker for one of their goals 

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think Bullen is possibly in the McCall realm of managers - maybe not the best tactically at times, but an excellent man manager and creates teams with a fantastic work ethic and will to win. 

I don’t ever recall McCalls teams having a great level of fighting spirit. When we went a goal down very rarely did we win matches at this level. There’s been times this season that we’ve very clearly raised our game after half time which would suggest Bullen knows what to say to get the best out of them.

McCalls team would probably have put 5 past Elgin in the first half but had they been in our position with ten minutes to go there was no way we’d have won the tie. 

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

I suppose the concern is that Dipo has turned out to be a transformational signing who has inflated our season way beyond what was expected at the start of the season.

The concern is that Akinyemi's talent is masking the complete failure of the club to evolve tactically from where it was in the seasons before, e.g. in the bottom three for most of the campaign. If Hamilton played like they did on Friday against Ayr right now they'd obliterate them.

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Bullen is similar to McCall in a lot of ways, but his utter fucking infatuation with playing the most appalling football seemingly by default is not one of them.