The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

25 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Hopefully that's the last of the JML experience for a few weeks.

The JML Experience is a symptom of the larger Bullen Show we've had to endure for months. Insipid anti-football that some likeable players are trying their best under. It should be another round of the Smith Head Coach Lottery in the summer but I suspect not.

34 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

McAdams pulled off three very good saves in the second half to keep us in it - you can criticise almost every outfield player before you have a go at McAdams today.

This '4-3-3' if we're calling that is not going to work with the personnel we have at the moment. JML and Mullin were essentially not in the game today and it was the same last Friday. If your wingers aren't getting in to space then you have no way to get forward but lump it at Dipo, who is always outnumbered in this system. Thank Christ we got Bryden and Daire on when we did, they were both driving us forward and, what a shocker, created space for Dipo. I don't think I've seen a 66th minute sub win man of the match before but you couldn't argue with it. Hopefully that's the last of the JML experience for a few weeks. 

Agree with all this but I also thought that McKenzie made a difference too, had real tenacity that we had been missing. McAlear looks extremely defensive, rarely made forward passes although I did think he tried to get involved. Needs to spend time in the reserves before troubling the first team.

As you say, I hope Bullen actually learns from this and the QP game and doesn't continue with this formation or we're going to have a poor spell. No idea if the McInroy rumours are nonsense but would definitely have him back based on what we saw today.

It’s hard to argue with the progress that’s been made under Bullen, but I’d really like to see some evidence that he is capable of learning from mistakes and evolving a style of play that amounts to more than hoofing the ball in the general direction of Dipo.  

Midfield was static again, wide men not in it and Dipo completely isolated.  Not for the first time either.  Thought Smith came on to a game when he dropped deeper, but I honestly don’t know what we were asking him to do as part of the midfield 3 that started.  Baffled as to why it took so long to hook JML - aside from that goal up at Arbroath, he’s been utterly ineffective.

9 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Dempsey is hardly a speed merchant.

He can drive with the ball and can move the ball quite quickly. McAlear was taking maybe two or three extra touches and everything slowed down with him 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

We played a formation that barely worked for the last 4 months, with some players that haven’t performed consistently since October and performed as expected.

We really need a shake and I thought the loss to Queens Park might have given us it but it doesn’t look like it did. 

This 100%.  Set up the exact same today suggests he's sticking with it.  Makes us rotten to watch and totally ineffective up front.   

1 hour ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Credit to Elgin they deserved that all game. Hester is way above League 2 level can only assume he has a job that he doesn’t want to give up.

We are dugmeat. The subs changed the game massively. O’Connor and McAllister were what we needed.

I want our big money tie now rather than risk being put out by Raith or ICT.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, but for me football is about memories. Winning a quarter final and getting to Hampden is just that - getting pumped off one of the OF most certainly isn’t. The first one also gives you the option of a payday regardless. 

Wasn't at the game but get it back to a 4/4/2 and get McKenzie or Bryden upfront with Dipo, that's what we played first half of the season to get us up the top end of the league and then in the last month we've tried changing it to a 4/3/3 or 4/1/4/1 whatever you want to call it and we've been rotten. Dipo is getting f**k all service and getting run into the ground doing all the chasing about. 

1,800 odd is pretty poor crowd although suppose that's what happens when it's £20 a ticket against a league two side who brought i presume about 50-100 fans at most. 

4 lower league teams and 4 premiership teams most likely in the quarter final draw could produce some tasty ties. Also correct me if i'm wrong but going by the fact there has been 4 TV picks (2 x BBC & 2 x Viaplay) in this round and the last, i'm guessing all ties in the quarter finals will be televised? So cue some stupid kick off time of Friday or Monday night if it's BBC or Saturday or Sunday night if it's either of the ugly sisters. 

34 minutes ago, wuffster said:

The JML Experience is a symptom of the larger Bullen Show we've had to endure for months. Insipid anti-football that some likeable players are trying their best under. It should be another round of the Smith Head Coach Lottery in the summer but I suspect not.

Are you still wanting Mark Kerr back?

35 minutes ago, wuffster said:

f**k sake. 

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Wasn't at the game but get it back to a 4/4/2 and get McKenzie or Bryden upfront with Dipo, that's what we played first half of the season to get us up the top end of the league and then in the last month we've tried changing it to a 4/3/3 or 4/1/4/1 whatever you want to call it and we've been rotten. Dipo is getting f**k all service and getting run into the ground doing all the chasing about. 

1,800 odd is pretty poor crowd although suppose that's what happens when it's £20 a ticket against a league two side who brought i presume about 50-100 fans at most. 

4 lower league teams and 4 premiership teams most likely in the quarter final draw could produce some tasty ties. Also correct me if i'm wrong but going by the fact there has been 4 TV picks (2 x BBC & 2 x Viaplay) in this round and the last, i'm guessing all ties in the quarter finals will be televised? So cue some stupid kick off time of Friday or Monday night if it's BBC or Saturday or Sunday night if it's either of the ugly sisters. 

That would be ideal (as I fly out to Tenerife on the Saturday) 😉

37 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Jesus Wuffster, you’re usually a very level headed poster but that’s a horrific shout. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Nick McAllister btw, aye he isn’t the best football player in the world but he brings an intensity, drive and aggression that just isn’t there without him. Exactly what you need in games like today. 

Credit to McKenzie as well. All the subs changed the game in their own way. 

Bullen is either a genius or extremely lucky.

He seems to be following a trend of last year, blindly sticking to a formation and a starting 11 that causes its self problems, last year it nearly got us relegated and this year we are second.

His post match interviews are honest but it’s two and a row he’s done the same thing then came out and said we were shite. If only there was something he could do about it.

Edited by diegomarahenry