The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Only way they put a positive spin if we don’t make the playoffs would be by spending early and getting a few bigger names in.  No doubt get someone like snodgrass and he will turn out to be completely gash for us 

There is no way of putting a positive spin on it if we finish outside the playoffs after the whole "doing something special " chat from Mathie, Bullen and co.  Serious questions would need to be asked. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

The unfortunate thing is that there’s a lot of good stuff off the park that will be used as a stick to beat the club with. Wrongly imo but it’ll happen regardless. 

Plenty good happening off the park, only criticised by me when they use it as some kind of get out of jail card for a bad result.  Though they haven't been as bad with that this year.  The hub stuff was brutal. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

There is no way of putting a positive spin on it if we finish outside the playoffs after the whole "doing something special " chat from Mathie, Bullen and co.  Serious questions would need to be asked. 

Dunno top of the table at Christmas to not even finishing in the playoffs is pretty special.  Only an idiot club like Falkirk does that. 

8 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Might go to the player of the year just so I can witness the moment Sam Ashford receives his award after 10000 votes from his dad.

Saw him and his old man leave after the game on Saturday. Can only assume the bold Mark took that lad up on the offer of a square go 😏

Edited by Thereisalight..

47 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye we’ll be lucky to get fourth now. Will be a huge task for Mathie to spin some positivity over the summer if we finish 5th or 6th. 

If that ends up happening someone needs to take serious accountability for that.

I think there's a chance Bullen could walk if that happens

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

If that ends up happening someone needs to take serious accountability for that.

I think there's a chance Bullen could walk if that happens

Bullen should  walk if that happens as it will mean it was a complete collapse. Mathie and Smith aren't blameless in all this either, our January window was a complete sham. We were right in the mix at that point and somehow managed to come out the window weaker than what we entered it. That's inexcusable. 

16 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Plenty good happening off the park, only criticised by me when they use it as some kind of get out of jail card for a bad result.  Though they haven't been as bad with that this year.  The hub stuff was brutal. 

The stuff should rightly be celebrated but aye the predictable Hub building updates after a loss was soul destroying. 

Fully just waiting for the summer now to see what the clubs response is to our inevitable collapse. Call me daft but I have enough belief in Mathie that he won’t try and sugar coat it if we do finish outside top 4. Not saying there will be a sacking on the cards but I think he’ll be pissed off given how big an opportunity we had at Christmas. 

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I wonder if the players will turn up for that. 50/50 chance I reckon.

Bullen will wait until there’s 10 minutes left before going up for the buffet by which time it will be done and there will be nothing left.

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Bullen should  walk if that happens as it will mean it was a complete collapse. Mathie and Smith aren't blameless in all this either, our January window was a complete sham. We were right in the mix at that point and somehow managed to come out the window weaker than what we entered it. That's inexcusable. 

The January window is what it is. No one came out of that window stronger besides Dundee and Arbroath. 

It’s an extremely difficult window to do business in for a club our size as we can’t buy out contracts, everyone is in for the same loan options and there’s always a risk that you lose a player that cannot be replaced. The club didn’t do anything wrong really. We tried a different approach after Chalmers left by getting McAlear in. Good signing on paper but hasn’t worked out. Not convinced Bullen is actually using him properly but that’s another issue entirely. Maguire was probably the only gamble we could take and I think everyone was on side with his signing. We were begging the club in the summer for an experienced forward. We rolled the dice and again it didn’t pay off. However I can see him going elsewhere in the summer and with a proper pre season he’ll be fine. 

January was incredibly frustrating and it has played a part in our collapse but it’s not the whole story. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Tbh Livi playing hardball with Mullin didn’t help. Having him here permanently instead of on loan will have cost and I don’t think it’s something we planned for.

Part of the problem is the focus on that meant we all treated it like it was a new signing and thought it was the sign of a good window when it was nothing of the sort.

I wonder where we’d be if Chalmers had stayed. His ability masked our tactical shortcomings a lot of the time. He’s been on the bench more often than not for Tranmere, maybe with hindsight he’d have stayed.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

It wasn’t until a week or so ago I started to notice Inverness could get close to us - it seems so quickly I’ve went from that to being incredibly confident that they are beating us to a play off place. 

Ditto. I hadn't appreciated how close they were. I genuinely expected us to get past 54 points, which is my magic number for top four more often than not. I'm really not sure we'll make it. Raith and QP look like our best opportunities for wins. ICT still have one eye on the cup and also have to play Dundee. Its poised for us needing a draw up at Caley on the last day, isn't it?

Performances/selections/tactics haven’t inspired much confidence lately so it’s hard to see where the necessary points will come from.  Realistically we can beat QP (should they continue to implode) and Raith, but then again our home form isn’t amazing. Given the form of Partick and ICT,  it’s much harder to think we can get anything from those away games.  This league has thrown up bonkers results but at times but we haven’t really turned up in the games where the pressure has been on us.  

I do think that if we finish outside the playoffs then there needs to be serious conversations behind the scenes.  I’m not advocating that Bullen be sacked if that happened because we are going to finish higher than we did in the last two seasons and he will have probably achieved the season objective.  I can even understand a poor January window as throwing cash at it in January would be contradictory to the aim of running the club on a financially sustainable business model.  But the fact that, on the pitch, our tactics have been dogmatic and selections don’t always make sense (e.g. Saturday we played two wide men who aren’t really wingers while 2 actual wingers sat on the bench) mean that conversations should be had about how Bullen plans to progress the team tactically next season.  

One think we desperately need are more leaders on the pitch.  McGinty is a decent enough captain and McAllister has a good bit of fight about him but I don’t hear many others on the pitch other than maybe Albinson?