The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

Now all of us that have been criticial the past few months just have to clamp it now.

There's lots that could have been done better and a couple of dice rolls going the other way could have resulted in the Smith era being a total disaster. But that's football and that's why it's fucking lovely.

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Tonight counts for nothing if we don't turn up in the next two games. 

I don't think that's true. Finishing second rather than fifth is both a massive financial boost and a historical 22-year high in the league, and indeed means more now than it did then because it still comes with the potential for promotion (and even without promotion, 2-4 nationally-televised ties, which is another massive cash boost).

Fucking up to Falkirk was a collossal waste, but let's face it that it would have led to a demolition in a cup final. This is a reasonable shot at a promotion to a level most of the human race have never seen Ayr play at, against teams that Ayr could be expected to be competitive against, and that absolutely wasn't on the cards to begin with. Fair enough that the season was heavily lopsided but that first quarter's massive goal different has just given the club a quarter of a million pounds.

a 5-3 aggregate horsing by Partick in the next three weeks would still be a tremendous end to the season which only bodes well for the next.

The financial benefit of this cannot be overstated. Just under £500,000 for finishing second and hopefully a decent sum for Dipo’s services puts us in a strong position for next season. 

Chuffed for Mark McKenzie who will now always have that one goal that fans will remember 

but note bringing on Bryden and O’Connor and a minute in Bryden with the pass to O’Connor to send it across the box to McKenzie

fucking get O’Connor starting for those play-offs Bullen I’m begging 

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

I don't think that's true. Finishing second rather than fifth is both a massive financial boost and a historical 22-year high in the league, and indeed means more now than it did then because it still comes with the potential for promotion (and even without promotion, 2-4 nationally-televised ties, which is another massive cash boost).

Fucking up to Falkirk was a collossal waste, but let's face it that it would have led to a demolition in a cup final. This is a reasonable shot at a promotion to a level most of the human race have never seen Ayr play at, against teams that Ayr could be expected to be competitive against, and that absolutely wasn't on the cards to begin with. Fair enough that the season was heavily lopsided but that first quarter's massive goal different has just given the club a quarter of a million pounds.

a 5-3 aggregate horsing by Partick in the next three weeks would still be a tremendous end to the season which only bodes well for the next.

I would wager that if we lose in the semis in a powderpuff showing, where we set up wrongly, No one will think, ah well, at least we were there. 

If we go in to the game, play well and compete, no one can have any complaints if we get beat.

We are capable of both types of performances. 

To suggest that it was just as well we didn't win against Falkirk and make the extra revenue from the semi as we'd only have got beat in the final if we had made it  is a strange point to make to back your argument up here. 

4 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

fucking get O’Connor starting for those play-offs Bullen I’m begging 

In fairness to Lee Bullen, if there's one thing he can generally be relied upon for, it's starting the same XI as finished the preceding game.

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

To suggest that it was just as well we didn't win against Falkirk and make the extra revenue from the semi as we'd only have got beat in the final if we had made it  is a strange point to make to back your argument up here. 

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been good. However if you look at e.g. Reid's last season, he beat half the fucking SPL in two cups and got to Hampden, and not only is the season considered to be an utter dismal failure, but half the support thinks that the semifinal was a disaster as well (for what it's worth I'm in the tiny minority who thought he got his tactics entirely right).

If the club had missed the playoffs then yes, the easiest string of ties ever to a cup final would have been difficult to forgive. But finishing second means making a huge f**k-off pile of cash even before people start waving money at Akinyemi. The long-term plan for the club can do with that money. And tbh I'd fancy Ayr's chances far more in four games against the shite they're going to be paired up with than against probably the best Celtic team since the O'Neill era.

Edited by Thumper

22 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Agreed. This 2nd place finish makes basically every bad thing that's happened this season irrelevant, except maybe Falkirk. Now all of us that have been criticial the past few months just have to clamp it now.

100%. My lips are sealed.

Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

In fairness to Lee Bullen, if there's one thing he can generally be relied upon for, it's starting the same XI as finished the preceding game.

I’m all for it given Reading was on the bench at FT. 

We're fucking 2nd! I am genuinely stunned, I had emotionally prepared myself for 5th. Winning in Inverness, we never really do that. Winning, a big match/six pointer, we never really do that. Well we fecking did today! Still buzzing.

Fair fucks to Bullen. Its been brutal at times but 2nd place is 2nd place. 

Tip Of The Cap GIF by Giphy QA

Fair play lads, going 5th to 2nd to 5th to 2nd was a great distraction from what I was watching. Think Mullin's return could really be key to a good run here, hopefully you can do something great in these play-offs.

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been good. However if you look at e.g. Reid's last season, he beat half the fucking SPL in two cups and got to Hampden, and not only is the season considered to be an utter dismal failure, but half the support thinks that the semifinal was a disaster as well (for what it's worth I'm in the tiny minority who thought he got his tactics entirely right).

If the club had missed the playoffs then yes, the easiest string of ties ever to a cup final would have been difficult to forgive. But finishing second means making a huge f**k-off pile of cash even before people start waving money at Akinyemi. The long-term plan for the club can do with that money. And tbh I'd fancy Ayr's chances far more in four games against the shite they're going to be paired up with than against probably the best Celtic team since the O'Neill era.

I didn't say finishing second wasn't a success, what I said was, it'll all count for nothing if we shite it again. 

To use your Reid analogy, He was 20min away from taking Ayr to penalties and a potential cup final. We lost and his negative approach is seen by many fans as a criminal offence despite the fact they had worked well in the cup that season. Had a hand ball been picked up on in the build up, who knows what would happened. 

Similarly, if we revert to the dross we experienced through the winter and spring, any good grace built up from tonight will be gone. 

22 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I would wager that if we lose in the semis in a powderpuff showing, where we set up wrongly, No one will think, ah well, at least we were there. 

Ftlof

10 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Saturday night 

One of the bizarre things about living in NL is that it's still 1992 musically everywhere. This belter was on the radio when I was at the dentist the other day:

18 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I didn't say finishing second wasn't a success, what I said was, it'll all count for nothing if we shite it again.

But it won't count for nothing. It will at the least put Ayr on a bona fide financial footing to be competing for the same thing next season without external investment. It will attract players who see that as Ayr's ambition. It will light a fire up the arse of a board who didn't have anything planned this season beyond mid-table until they accidentally signed a Champ Man cheat mode striker.

I admit that finishing second is not a guarantee of anything. Ask Arbroath fans about that. At the same time, couple that with off-field developments and things are a whole lot more promising.