The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

56 minutes ago, Iain said:

Would be nice if it was done strategically though and not as a reaction to the initial plan for continuity breaking down!

I know what you mean.

Just take a look at the play off games, and that shows you how our squad looks.

At the end of, effectively, year one, we have increased our income by a fair bit, and will no doubt, add to that selling Dipo.

Year two will be about how we spend that money, while mounting a top 4 challenge, and I’m sure, will be focusing on players in who we can get on 2/3 year contracts and those that we can sell on next summer.

Might be a step back to take 2 steps forward.

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

Let's not pretend that Mullin was a bad player for us, that's just not true. 

He was a good player largely in his time at Ayr but his form since signing, his wage demands and his age mean the majority of folk aren't arsed he's left. 

Having said that, 24 out of the 29 players we have could leave and no one would miss them. 

I'm sad to see Houston go, not because his form had been great or anything but he has been at the club a while and did show some promise. 

Probably best for both parties that he moves on, he obviously wasn't going to succeed at Ayr but if the club was hampering his development, he now has a fresh start to kick on in his career. 

The team that does loads of big signings early normally struggle. Raith are early favourites. 

8 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I know what you mean.

Just take a look at the play off games, and that shows you how our squad looks.

At the end of, effectively, year one, we have increased our income by a fair bit, and will no doubt, add to that selling Dipo.

Year two will be about how we spend that money, while mounting a top 4 challenge, and I’m sure, will be focusing on players in who we can get on 2/3 year contracts and those that we can sell on next summer.

Might be a step back to take 2 steps forward.

Going by the interviews I think the majority of signings will be decent lengths, and will be a mixture of experienced players along with some hidden gems / rough diamond types that we will be able to improve and sell on.

It will be getting the balance right of signings we can build a team around over the next few years and those we can keep for a year and hopefully sell on

Mullen on a 3 year deal, From our experience with him, that is a dreadful deal. 

He was playing well up until his exit from Livi, as soon as he signed full time for us it was like the handbrake went on. 

He'll score in all 4 games against us next year though. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mullen on a 3 year deal, From our experience with him, that is a dreadful deal. 

He was playing well up until his exit from Livi, as soon as he signed full time for us it was like the handbrake went on. 

He'll score in all 4 games against us next year though. 

Not sure why it’s a dreadful deal.  He’s a proven player at championship level with bags of experience who provides a solid return in terms of goals and assists.  His form dropped off between January and his injury, but the whole team generally was pretty rotten through that period.  Any comparison with the likes of Ashord, McKenzie or JML surely puts Mullin in a bit of perspective.

Always feels like there’s an element of denialism when good players move on (“he was never really that good, etc”) - I vividly remember folk on here saying that about Ross Docherty - 3 seasons later we still haven’t been able to replace him and Docherty might well be heading for the premier league…

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Not sure why it’s a dreadful deal.  He’s a proven player at championship level with bags of experience who provides a solid return in terms of goals and assists.  His form dropped off between January and his injury, but the whole team generally was pretty rotten through that period.  Any comparison with the likes of Ashord, McKenzie or JML surely puts Mullin in a bit of perspective.

Always feels like there’s an element of denialism when good players move on (“he was never really that good, etc”) - I vividly remember folk on here saying that about Ross Docherty - 3 seasons later we still haven’t been able to replace him and Docherty might well be heading for the premier league…

A three year deal for a thirty year old isn’t something we should be doing. He’s had a bad injury this season which looked to slow him down a bit. 

He was a good player but you had to play him as a proper wide midfielder to get the best out him. Couldn’t accommodate him on the left or in a 4-3-3 really. 

I'm gutted mullin is away to be honest, he was definitely one of our best players and think we should've tried our best to hold on to him. His form after January did dip but that could potentially be attributed to the woeful style of football we were playing 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

A three year deal for a thirty year old isn’t something we should be doing. He’s had a bad injury this season which looked to slow him down a bit. 

He was a good player but you had to play him as a proper wide midfielder to get the best out him. Couldn’t accommodate him on the left or in a 4-3-3 really. 

Mullin’s injury record is very good though.  It really was unfortunate - the player himself mentioned that it was about the most serious injury he’d had in his career.  He looked well short of fitness when he came back, and perhaps shouldn’t have come back so quickly (we really needed him back), but I’m struggling to see any reason why a 30 year old won’t recover fully from a broken bone over the Summer and through pre-season.  Let’s be honest, if we’d announced Mullin today on a 3 year contract, there wouldn’t be many saying it was a bad move.  

I guess we can only judge when we see our own signings, but I do sometimes wonder what market some of our fans think we are shopping in.  Talk of Chalmers and McCowan just sounds fanciful to me.  

I think Raith signing both Mullen and Hamilton is a good bit of business. Mullen will provide plenty of good crosses for him.
I suspect we weren’t keen on offering him that length of contract and I support that tbh. He’s good but 3 years is way too long for someone with no possibility of selling on. 

30 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

I'm gutted mullin is away to be honest, he was definitely one of our best players and think we should've tried our best to hold onto him. His form after January did dip but that could potentially be attributed to the woeful style of football we were playing 

If rumours are to be believed we did offer him a deal. A two year deal at that. It's uncommon for a 30 year old to get more than that, especially at this level.

He was good for us and I'd have rather kept him, but his form did nosedive at a couple of points (again not unusual at this level, especially for a winger) and he is getting on in his career.

Could well work out for him at Starks. I hope it doesn't work whenever he plays against us though.

Edited by AuAl

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Mullin’s injury record is very good though.  It really was unfortunate - the player himself mentioned that it was about the most serious injury he’d had in his career.  He looked well short of fitness when he came back, and perhaps shouldn’t have come back so quickly (we really needed him back), but I’m struggling to see any reason why a 30 year old won’t recover fully from a broken bone over the Summer and through pre-season.  Let’s be honest, if we’d announced Mullin today on a 3 year contract, there wouldn’t be many saying it was a bad move.  

I guess we can only judge when we see our own signings, but I do sometimes wonder what market some of our fans think we are shopping in.  Talk of Chalmers and McCowan just sounds fanciful to me.  

I don't see there being any real difference in terms of standing or indeed wage demands of Mullin v the other two. If we are capable of attracting the likes of Mullin and offering a 2 year deal, then that same offer wouldn't be far away from either McCowan or Chalmers demands i wouldn't think.

Putting it in perspective, McCowan was seen as a good squad player at a team in the same league as ourselves and Chalmers was surplus to requirements at the relegated side in the league above, so none of them are in any way well above our level, especially if we have a bit of cash to spend and are willing to make either of them a top target.

Of course much depends on whether Luke is offered a contract in the Premier with Dundee and whether or not United want Chalmers back as a first team choice but I certainly don't think either of them are in any way miles outwith our likely budget.