The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If that’s true then we’re as well keeping him and losing him for nothing next summer as that’s embarrassing. Best chance we’ve got is if Gillingham panic and offer far more to get him but by that point we’re leaving it late ourselves to get a replacement. 

5 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

I’ve always felt part of our transfers coming in also depended on if Dipo went which if he isn’t I don’t see another striker coming in unless a Bryden goes out on loan 

Same as last season though really - if he gets injured we are fucked. Hopefully Amartey is an improvement on the other striker options. 

If Dipo does stay in the end, we could have some team if we just addressed the issues we need to and got in some Chalmers style quality out wide. 

Try their fans' forum. They know zilch about Scottish football but seem to think Ayr's level is about tier 8 of the "worlds best football pyramid". They're questioning if they should even be considering players from such a lowly level. The superiority complex is quite stunning. And this from a team who barely avoided the relegation spots in League 2. They probably think this is the 4th best league in Europe.

1 hour ago, Rb123 said:

Maybe going to be a case of what happened with Shankland at start of 2018/19 season after just being promoted as champions where he destroyed the place in the league cup, the first few league games in August and then the last 16 tie away to Dundee meaning clubs bidded for him before end of August. 

Same could happen to Dipo if he comes firing out of the blocks...

I hope so but a lot for me would depend on the availability and talent of any replacement/s coming in so late in the window.

45 minutes ago, jm86 said:

Try their fans' forum. They know zilch about Scottish football but seem to think Ayr's level is about tier 8 of the "worlds best football pyramid". They're questioning if they should even be considering players from such a lowly level. The superiority complex is quite stunning. And this from a team who barely avoided the relegation spots in League 2. They probably think this is the 4th best league in Europe.

I've seen Gillingham play Sunderland. They were brutal, with Steve Evans as their manager at the time looking one good fart away from a clutcher.

Dreadful mob

Edited by Peil

All well saying to laugh down the phone at Gillinghams offer but nobody apart from the inner circle at the club know the stance of Dipo

Is he content to kick about for another year up here or is he going to start demanding a move away by August time regardless of the value of the offer?

Edited by Rb123

Gillingham finished 85th in the English pyramid last season. Their direct equivalent up here is Largs Thistle who finished 85th in Scotland.

Gillingham are to Man City what Largs are to Celtic.

12 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Gillingham finished 85th in the English pyramid last season. Their direct equivalent up here is Largs Thistle who finished 85th in Scotland.

Gillingham are to Man City what Largs are to Celtic.

Mate Scottish leagues are in no way comparable to the English leagues. Gillingham’s average attendance last season was almost 5,000. Let’s just get real here.

1 hour ago, jm86 said:

You should try living here.

Always remember flying out of Southend ( don't ask) to Barcelona ( 2012), we were going to see Barca play.

Overheard a couple of Richard's saying Messi wouldn't make it in the EPL.

Had to check I hadn't wet myself before I boarded the flight.

Wonder whether Dipo would want a move to Gillingham?  There are lots of things he would have to consider - travel time & cost from (say) London to Gillingham each day,  contract duration,  salary,  team coach/manager,  family circumstances, etc.    Bullen is working away from home and you would hope that Ayr try  to allow both him and Dipo time to see family.

If that bid is correct then its a strange one. Not sure whether i'm more surprised by how meagre it is or by the lack of interest from other clubs. Thought a few would be happy to get in early and pay a decent amount  as they were aiming for a decent league campaign. Didn't think it would go the way of taking a chance to get a better deal down the line. Who really knows what goes on behind the scenes though 

30 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

All well saying to laugh down the phone at Gillinghams offer but nobody apart from the inner circle at the club know the stance of Dipo

Is he content to kick about for another year up here or is he going to start demanding a move away by August time regardless of the value of the offer?

If Ayr had received a bid of around £200k and knocked it back then you could understand if Dipo was annoyed, especially if there was some sort of gentlemens agreement in his contract, however Dipo himself will surely appreciate the stance the club is taking with Gillingham if this £60k bid is correct.

We've covered it all before but I'd say Dipo is worth MUCH more to the club and the support than £60k which would then be required to fund a like for like replacement.

Does anyone think that's realistic or indeed even possible ??

18 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Mate Scottish leagues are in no way comparable to the English leagues. Gillingham’s average attendance last season was almost 5,000. Let’s just get real here.

Well said . Scottish Championship clubs’ level is equivalent to the English National League at best.

McKay at Ross County today admitted their stadium has more seats than the town has residents ( and that’s pathetically low) . St Johnstone can’t fill their ground for home games and so it goes on throughout Scottish football. 
The Jags were one week away from not being able to pay players and or staff but were lucky with the cup draw. 
League One average wage bill in England is 7 Million. Scottish Championship?

Where will Dipo go if given a reasonable offer?