The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Agreed, McAllister is just lacking a bit of pace at this level, he gets caught out a bit and he isn't quick enough to recover. If he was a few inches taller i think he'd make a brilliant centre half. As it is, I think he's a utility player at best for the Championship, could easily start in L1. 

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I would keep Ashford if it means letting Bryden go out on loan. Ashford still offers more up front than Bryden does as well as having a greater impact from the bench and being able to cover out wide in an emergency. Bryden needs to go out on loan and develop his game, as opposed to small bits of game time. 

51 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I would keep Ashford if it means letting Bryden go out on loan. Ashford still offers more up front than Bryden does as well as having a greater impact from the bench and being able to cover out wide in an emergency. Bryden needs to go out on loan and develop his game, as opposed to small bits of game time. 

26 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Ashford changed the game when he came on last night and although not a goal threat think he’s the reason we got the pen and he was really causing problems to their defence 

Last night was probably one of the first times i've actually seen him play in his actual position as a striker and what a difference 

5 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

Maybe Sam’s da was right all along

Steady, two plodder centre backs had an easy time with two physical forwards then had to start dealing with someone that's pacy late in the game and struggled to switch it up.  😂

Anyone have thoughts on what Mark McKenzie's best position is? For all the team played well last night, I don't think he affected the game too much. Is he better wider/deeper/sitting down?

Just now, Iain said:

Anyone have thoughts on what Mark McKenzie's best position is? For all the team played well last night, I don't think he affected the game too much. Is he better wider/deeper/sitting down?

Definitely best as a support striker, with an out and out goal scorer beside him as he doesn’t really have a goal threat.  He is actually good at bringing others into play and laying off to others. 

Just now, ryanayr1987 said:

Definitely best as a support striker, with an out and out goal scorer beside him as he doesn’t really have a goal threat.  He is actually good at bringing others into play and laying off to others. 

Potential for a logjam at #10 if he, Ashford and McGeady all play best in that spot?

i feel Ashford does best coming off the bench, McGeady will probably be the same so McKenzie is probably the best to be a starter can keep going and running for the full 90

Edited by muZZa__44

All in all it was a very good performance last night and we also played quite a bit of football through the Midfield as well as mixing it up with some good long balls, however it remains clear that the full backs are our weak link.

McAllister tries his best and gives his all but he tends to dive in and is also caught out of position quite often. On the other side Finn had a tough first half but did get better, what I would say about him is that while still lacking defensively he does pass the ball out of defence pretty well and linked up well with the Midfield but purely on the evidence of last night I'm not convinced that he's anywhere near to being ahead of Reading as yet (and we all know he's also got his faults).

Stanger was solid enough and took his goal brilliantly (although what a ball from Murphy) and McGinty was his usual solid self for the most part, although quick passes in behind still look like causing us serious issues at the back.

Dempsey and Murdoch were both good last night and both got stuck right in, as well as playing some decent passing football.

McKenzie and Bryden were both a nuisance factor and chased and harried all night but neither looks good enough to be seen as a reliable goalscorer / starter and Amartey looked a real threat when on the ball. He's direct, he's strong, he's quick and he looks like he's got much more of an end product than our previous guys. Albinson was his usual top quality and looked assured throughout.

Again though, it must be stated that Murphy was the stand out, the guy looks like he's still mid 20's, he showed good pace, a great engine as he continuously ripped St Johnstone apart up top but would also track back and help out Ecrepont throughout the match but the thing that stuck out most is his top quality delivery and link up play which we've been sadly lacking, if he keeps up this sort of form then there's no doubt he'll be one of the top players in this league.

All in all it was very promising, especially with Rose to come in, Musonda to come back, the unknown quantity of Pendlebury and hopefully more than a cameo from McGeady, that said it's abundantly clear that we need a quality RB (also a LB if available) and probably an attacking Midfielder (unless McGeady can be relied on for this) but there's no doubt we've definitely got quite a bit to be working with.....

41 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I think he will 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Absolutely - the guy was impacting games a level up a few months ago. He is a starter when fit - just depends how often we can make that happen. 

He played 9 times last season. It’s a level down but the physicality of this league will be higher than what he had last year. Realistically if we get 15 games out him we will be lucky. I hope he gets more but I see him being deployed from the bench more often than not 

6 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

He played 9 times last season. It’s a level down but the physicality of this league will be higher than what he had last year. Realistically if we get 15 games out him we will be lucky. I hope he gets more but I see him being deployed from the bench more often than not 

The top league in Scotland is hardly not physical! Plus there is obviously a huge drop in standard down to here. 

If he doesn’t play much it’ll be down to injury, there is no chance he will be on the bench when fit while Sam Ashford or Mark McKenzie run about!

Edited by No_Problemo