The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

Connor Smith, scored 6 and 4 assists last season in a poor Hamilton team apparently agent doesn't want him playing in league 1

He was on loan from Hearts last season and I think they want him to go out on loan, Championship seems to be about his level for now so I think he'd be a good signing for us.

20 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

He was on loan from Hearts last season and I think they want him to go out on loan, Championship seems to be about his level for now so I think he'd be a good signing for us.

Agree...would've taken both him and his brother who was at Airdrie...both scored in the play off finals

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Garry Agnew was left-back that day. Gardner did play, though can't remember too much apart from the game being awful.

The guy I was thinking of didn't sign for Ayr until 2 years after the final, Stuart Robertson, I googled him and it said he was born in 1959 and I thought, surely it can't be him. 

It was Lee Gardner that got injured, I remember someone shouting "just run it off Lee" and then laughing. He was in a knee brace for months. 

45 minutes ago, Iain said:

I remember going to the final against Hamilton and thinking our keeper (Purdie?) took about a week to get down at the goal. Not a fun day out.

When Purdie was the first choice keeper at Ayr, he was second choice for his work team. 

It’s a national competition, actually an international competition. I’d give my left hand to win the cup. For a club that has won f⚔️ck all in its history should be doing its best in every competition. Let’s face it it’s our best (only?) chance of winning a cup.

If you look at some of the winners in the past. Stranraer beat Dundee United. Yes Stranraer have won a national cup and we haven’t. Stenny beat St Johnstone, QOS have won it twice. Rangers, Dundee United, Ross County, Livi, Dundee and St mirren have all won it. 

The Dundee final (6 or 7 thousand Ayr fans) was one of the biggest disappointments following Ayr and the Hamilton game was so disappointing in other ways. 

I’d love it, love it if we won it. 

5 minutes ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

It’s a national competition, actually an international competition. I’d give my left hand to win the cup. For a club that has won f⚔️ck all in its history should be doing its best in every competition. Let’s face it it’s our best (only?) chance of winning a cup.

If you look at some of the winners in the past. Stranraer beat Dundee United. Yes Stranraer have won a national cup and we haven’t. Stenny beat St Johnstone, QOS have won it twice. Rangers, Dundee United, Ross County, Livi, Dundee and St mirren have all won it. 

The Dundee final (6 or 7 thousand Ayr fans) was one of the biggest disappointments following Ayr and the Hamilton game was so disappointing in other ways. 

We have not won f**k all in our history. That's DKB banter.

5 hours ago, Nelson said:

Murphy was a huge gamble given his recent fitness record and it’s blown up in our face after one league game.  

Was never a gamble based on last seasons fitness , that’s a pretty decent amount of games last season and did not miss one game through injury , this current injury was blocking a shot 

IMG_7456.png

37 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The guy I was thinking of didn't sign for Ayr until 2 years after the final, Stuart Robertson, I googled him and it said he was born in 1959 and I thought, surely it can't be him. 

It was Lee Gardner that got injured, I remember someone shouting "just run it off Lee" and then laughing. He was in a knee brace for months. 

When Purdie was the first choice keeper at Ayr, he was second choice for his work team. 

Cammy Duncan was our first choice - he got injured about a week before that game and we had to fall back on Purdie who was pretty dreadful at Accies goal.  Down in instalments.

40 minutes ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

Stranraer actually beat St Johnstone, but the essence of your point that we've won one more national cup than you is 100% correct ✅

Purdie was of Ruddyesque levels of uselessness. Just checked Ruddy’s “career” and he seems to have only made 27 first team appearances in his 9 years as a senior. 11 of them for us unfortunately. "Going down in instalments" was a speciality of his, usually once the ball was already past him.

12 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Was never a gamble based on last seasons fitness , that’s a pretty decent amount of games last season and did not miss one game through injury , this current injury was blocking a shot 

IMG_7456.png

Hard to know if the online stats are completely accurate, but he rarely seems to have played 90 minutes - mostly sub appearances.  Looking back, his record seems quite patchy since he suffered the knee injury with Rangers.  

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Cammy Duncan was our first choice - he got injured about a week before that game and we had to fall back on Purdie who was pretty dreadful at Accies goal.  Down in instalments.

If I recall correctly Purdie also had a poisoned toe which did not help. Truly awful game. 

Don't think Murphy was ever injured with us.

He got subbed off in games generally because we were losing and he'd been ineffective, I can't remember it ever being from a knock. He didn't play because of not fitting the shape we ended up using.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't think Murphy was ever injured with us.

He got subbed off in games generally because we were losing and he'd been ineffective, I can't remember it ever being from a knock. He didn't play because of not fitting the shape we ended up using.

I think I’m just still battle scarred from Chris Maguire.  Never injured, but never fit. 

Murphy has been fit for us this season right up until he got injured. He’ll get a knock or two and because of his age he’ll take a bit longer to recover but from what I’ve seen the signing was a no brainier from the club as he’s clearly good enough to contribute this season. If McGeady can get fit enough to start games and we have one of them fit at any one time then that’s a big plus for us as McGeady showed against Inverness that he’s got something to offer as well. 

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

We have not won f**k all in our history. That's DKB banter.

I’d love to know what we have won of note then. Our history is embarrassing compared to similar sized clubs.

It’s a very English mentality calling cups ‘the diddy cup’. If Ayr United enters a competition we should be trying our absolute best to win it.

11 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I’d love to know what we have won of note then. Our history is embarrassing compared to similar sized clubs.

It’s a very English mentality calling cups ‘the diddy cup’. If Ayr United enters a competition we should be trying our absolute best to win it.

Did you miss the 9 divisional titles?