The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

image.png.e85b5df558f33075089aafbe688ed8cd.png

our squad depth shows that besides likely getting in one or two midfielders due to injuries (likely one permenant and maybe a Loan) besides Ashford i struggle to see us letting anyone else go permanently, Maybe a Bryden or Ecrepont on  Loan but thats about it 

2 minutes ago, diege said:

Interesting, who would we lose?
Ashford seems the logical option if anyone is interested in him, as he hasnt really been utilised. 

Bryden out on loan seems sensible to me if we find another striker, McKenzie is not a wide player, he could potentially be a casualty?

Depends on what the budget allows us to hold on to ultimately

McKenzie was one of our better players today, I felt.  I don't want him starting every week but he's a very useful squad player.

Can't disagree with Bullen's interview - other than Frankie being iffy in midfield (but he's probably got to praise him playing out of position when we're so short in there).

One good centre mid and we'll be there are there-abouts.

7 minutes ago, diege said:

Interesting, who would we lose?
Ashford seems the logical option if anyone is interested in him, as he hasnt really been utilised. 

Bryden out on loan seems sensible to me if we find another striker, McKenzie is not a wide player, he could potentially be a casualty?

Depends on what the budget allows us to hold on to ultimately

Agree, Ashford is now so far down the pecking order given the veritable smorgasboard of talent we have out wide. He could well be fifth choice.

Similarly, I'd loan Bryden out to a League One team so he can hone his craft. He would score a decent load at that level and come back the better for it. He needs games.

McKenzie could well be shipped out as well. Although it depends what we do up front.

Ecrepont is another one that Bullen doesn't rate. So he could also be shipped out. Bullen made it very clear that he believed the lack of competition is the reason that Reading's form fell off a cliff. I still think a left back is an outside bet but Finn would have to go.

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

McKenzie was one of our better players today, I felt.  I don't want him starting every week but he's a very useful squad player.

Can't disagree with Bullen's interview - other than Frankie being iffy in midfield (but he's probably got to praise him playing out of position when we're so short in there).

One good centre mid and we'll be there are there-abouts.

Respectfully disagree, McKenzie is not best utilised on the wing in my opinion.

Hopefully with our options, with Chalmers, Almartey, McGeady and Murphy it wont happen often later on and he can get more central when required.

Edited by diege
forgot mcgeady

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Our squad is pretty big as it is. I'm delighted Chalmers has signed as he is class. However, we are carrying almost 2 options in every position. That's not going to be cheap.

We need some of the dead wood offloaded. I'm expecting outgoing and incoming. Losing Murdoch & Dempsey exacerbates it so we'll definitely bring in a central midfielder. Thereafter, I fear it'll be 1 out and 1 in.

Outgoings ✅

That was my first game of the season, and it went pretty much how I expected.

McGeady was great to watch, and got us into great positions, unfortunately he lost the ball a bit needlessly for them to get their 2nd just as we were about to bring on Chalmers.

Speaking of Chalmers, what a player. He’s going to be vital to any success we have this season. A shame that Bryden somehow didn’t put that cross into the net.

I thought Pendlebury was very average and just loved a sideways pass. Not sure how he’s got on in previous games.

McGinty up to his usual tricks a few times lumping it to absolutely nobody, but other than that he did his job at the back.

McAllister is a trier but that isn’t good enough. Lost possession for the 1st I’m sure, and just didn’t offer much going forward.

I thought Reading looked like a new man compared to last season, and I hope he can prove us wrong in the long run.

Overall I’m not happy or angry at yesterday, I just wish Chalmers had came on at 1-0 rather than 2-0. I feel we could have got an equaliser as Livingston weren’t up to that much. We need to get a tune out of Rose pronto, didn’t help we didn’t get the ball into feet once in that second half. Also the pitch was hilariously slow yesterday, and the balls being used looked like they’d been nicked from a fives park some years ago. 

22 hours ago, railwayend said:

I think you should remember it’s Ayr United you’re talking about not Arsenal or City . It’s baby steps we are taking out of the darkness and we’ll get there , road bumps and all . 

Having a reasonable sized squad yet not having enough players that are either fit, capable or provide cover for all positions. Perhaps in July a case could be made but not several weeks into the season. Is getting the basics correct really that big an ask from full time employees with a focused remit? 

To be fair, we have four CMs signed, that's as much as we could reasonably expect to carry at this level. At full back we have two players for each position, regardless of what the fans think of those players. We have Murphy, McGeady, Chalmers, Ashford, Amartey for wide positions, however I think Franny will eventually play up front. I will concede that Rose needs a partner with much more capability than Bryden and McKenzie - i think a big target man type who they can play off is needed. 

2 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

That was my first game of the season, and it went pretty much how I expected.

McGeady was great to watch, and got us into great positions, unfortunately he lost the ball a bit needlessly for them to get their 2nd just as we were about to bring on Chalmers.

Speaking of Chalmers, what a player. He’s going to be vital to any success we have this season. A shame that Bryden somehow didn’t put that cross into the net.

I thought Pendlebury was very average and just loved a sideways pass. Not sure how he’s got on in previous games.

McGinty up to his usual tricks a few times lumping it to absolutely nobody, but other than that he did his job at the back.

McAllister is a trier but that isn’t good enough. Lost possession for the 1st I’m sure, and just didn’t offer much going forward.

I thought Reading looked like a new man compared to last season, and I hope he can prove us wrong in the long run.

Overall I’m not happy or angry at yesterday, I just wish Chalmers had came on at 1-0 rather than 2-0. I feel we could have got an equaliser as Livingston weren’t up to that much. We need to get a tune out of Rose pronto, didn’t help we didn’t get the ball into feet once in that second half. Also the pitch was hilariously slow yesterday, and the balls being used looked like they’d been nicked from a fives park some years ago. 

Aye pretty much agreed on all of the above. I think the main question about forward wide players is how we make it work when everyone is fit. Maybe a 4-2-3-1, with one of McGeady/Murphy/Chalmers in behind the striker.

Was quite frustrated that Bullen didn't make any changes at half time or early in the 2nd. We clearly needed something, Chalmers and Amartey came on later and gave us that. But we waited till livi scored the 2nd and by that time the game was gone. Reactive as per.

Agree with others that we could really do with a decent midfielder. Really hope Ahui comes onto a game, because McAllister is not really up to it. Reading on the other hand has continued proving me wrong. Tendency to turn backwards when he could be braver going forward but overall he's looking comfortable. Keep it up Paddy, please. We can't afford to have too many liability positions.

Rose still doesn't look quite right. Hopefully he gets up to speed soon. With all that creativity immediately behind him there will undoubtedly be chances.

1 hour ago, Iain said:

I see celtic are negotiating a release for James McCarthy. Any chance he's a mate of Aiden's and might fancy a year playing with him? 😂

I reckon he’d be the only midfielder we could sign that would be slower than Joe Chalmers. 

Hopefully Paddy continues his current form I don't think it's any coincidence that he's not having to do both the attacking and defensive work on the left since we have upgraded the wingers he can concentrateon the defensive part of the game. Let's just hope we can pull an experienced CDM out of the hat because both Smith and Pendlebury are really young and are going to need that experienced head to help them out.