The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I dont think its the recruitment thats the issue, more the management of the squad, and the squad building.

It was glaringly obvious over that over the summer we needed to build a new attack to replace Dipo and 2 new full backs.

Up front Rose is not a like for like replacement for Dipo (and anyone watching the 5 minute youtube video of his season at Weymouth could see that), and give the league cup games it did look like we were trying to change our style of play to suit, but that seems to have been abandoned after 2 league games. The issue is he's getting no support, being a target man isnt his game, and the only alternative is Bryden or Mckenzie

On paper our wide players look decent in Murphy, Amartey, Chalmers and McGeady, but are not being utilized properly. As we have issues at fullback and in midfield there are having to drop deeper leaving Rose isolated.

Centre mid is obviously an issue, last year it was obvious that Dempsey, Murdoch and Smith were all very similar players. Pendelbury at least looked like offering something different and more of an attacking threat in the brief appearances he had but that ship has sailed. We did nothing over the summer to counter that, and when Dempsey and Murdoch have got injured, we seem to have replaced with 3 players all exactly the same. I get it was late in the day and we need to replace 3 players but a 2 year deal seems insane for Sylla.

CH and GK I think are ok, if we are playing McGinty just have him play a simple pass to however his CD partner is to play out and there isnt an issue.

I dont know where to start with FB, RB especially. Surely before Bullen got shot of Houston and Hewitt he must have seen who the list of targets were and had an idea of what we were going to get. Either we have been knocked back  / out bid on a huge list of players to end up with Ahui or something had gone terribly wrong somewhere.

2 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I dont think its the recruitment thats the issue, more the management of the squad, and the squad building.

It was glaringly obvious over that over the summer we needed to build a new attack to replace Dipo and 2 new full backs.

Up front Rose is not a like for like replacement for Dipo (and anyone watching the 5 minute youtube video of his season at Weymouth could see that), and give the league cup games it did look like we were trying to change our style of play to suit, but that seems to have been abandoned after 2 league games. The issue is he's getting no support, being a target man isnt his game, and the only alternative is Bryden or Mckenzie

On paper our wide players look decent in Murphy, Amartey, Chalmers and McGeady, but are not being utilized properly. As we have issues at fullback and in midfield there are having to drop deeper leaving Rose isolated.

Centre mid is obviously an issue, last year it was obvious that Dempsey, Murdoch and Smith were all very similar players. Pendelbury at least looked like offering something different and more of an attacking threat in the brief appearances he had but that ship has sailed. We did nothing over the summer to counter that, and when Dempsey and Murdoch have got injured, we seem to have replaced with 3 players all exactly the same. I get it was late in the day and we need to replace 3 players but a 2 year deal seems insane for Sylla.

CH and GK I think are ok, if we are playing McGinty just have him play a simple pass to however his CD partner is to play out and there isnt an issue.

I dont know where to start with FB, RB especially. Surely before Bullen got shot of Houston and Hewitt he must have seen who the list of targets were and had an idea of what we were going to get. Either we have been knocked back  / out bid on a huge list of players to end up with Ahui or something had gone terribly wrong somewhere.

Surely all of those things are recruitment issues?

In terms of Rose, it has been difficult for him and whatever we are doing isn’t suiting him as he looks terrible and like he has nothing about him but any striker should be able to take a ball in and lay it off - it is absolute basics. You can accept that he can’t do what an Adeloye or Akinyemi can do if receiving the ball back to goal, but he should be able to lay it off. There must have been ten occasions last night where he had a pass on and made a mess of it in a variety of ways. 

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Falkirk got the better if us twice in a year. Both teams weaker than last season and we never even had a shot on target last night (that I can remember). 

The fact that a fucking League One team beat us last night and it was not even a shock (it would have been more of a shock if we had won tbh) speaks absolute volumes.

We’ve signed 12 players by my count and at least 6 of them just look completely out their depth at Championship level.  

I don’t see how that’s not a recruitment issue.  As things stand, only Stanger, Murphy and Chalmers look like good signings, plus the keeper is decent enough backup.

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The fact that a fucking League One team beat us last night and it was not even a shock (it would have been more of a shock if we had won tbh) speaks absolute volumes.

I thought we'd have at least laid a glove on them last night. The Falkirk fans were here saying it wasnt an important game for them. At least in the SC they had decent players like Max, Kennedy, McGinn. Last night it was just Morrisson and to a degree Nesbitt 

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So the only difference between us and Arbroath last season is we've spunked a load of money on top?

I mean I think it is still very early days for Ayr, the game at the weekend was pretty close and United will run over the top of plenty teams throughout the year. 

But yeah I can see the frustrations, we came from a real position of strength before a ball was kicked last year too and somehow ended up in a much poorer place than when we started.

We lost some important players, tried a very unorthodox and wild recruitment strategy in comparison to years before to try and replace them, plucked a ‘big name’ signing out in Scott Allan and then proceeded to try and play the way we did the year previous (and in general over the years) despite having not one striker in the squad capable of it and no real strikers or wide players full stop. 

This year we’ve reverted back to what we done before in trying to sign the best part time players in the leagues and the new hybrid signings are ones of a decent calibre with a good solid CV behind them from being at good clubs (Jermaine Hylton and Jay Bird two of them who scored at the weekend). 

It’s been pretty unremarkable really but much more like what we’re used to. 

I feel like there are plenty of similarities with what I’m reading about Ayr and ourselves last year however it is only 4/5 games into the season and you have had a couple of big injuries in midfield to contend with as well and that would have a big affect on any team within this division maybe United and Raith aside.

Perhaps the biggest flag for me from the last two games is the chat about McGinty and the bench; subbed off on Saturday and apparently scunnered last night? Whatever you think about McGinty the footballer, I don't think anyone can really question his providing stability as captain as we transitioned out of the Hopkin/Duffy era. He's a good guy and pro and seems (seemed?) to have a strong relationship with Bullen. One to keep an eye on mibee, fck knows. 

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Wildest take from today so far, the Arbraoth guy saying we will "run over plenty of teams throughout the year" 🤯

Aye maybe if we luck out and draw some clogger in the first round we are in the SC. Doubtful though as we couldnt even hammer Pollok 

I meant Dundee United 

😂

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Christophe Berra might be a shout. He's done coaching with us and Livingston. Not with any club at the moment.

He's coaching at Falkirk at the moment though don't believe we're employing him in an official capacity 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Falkirk got the better of us twice in a year. Both teams weaker than last season and we never even had a shot on target last night (that I can remember). 

We've certainly improved from last season but rested some key players last night. However having been at both games it is fair to say that Ayr have regressed significantly all over the park, not just with the loss of Akinyemi 

38 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I feel like there are plenty of similarities with what I’m reading about Ayr and ourselves last year however it is only 4/5 games into the season and you have had a couple of big injuries in midfield to contend with as well and that would have a big affect on any team within this division maybe United and Raith aside.

I don't think our situation would be all that different without the injuries tbh.