The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

I started attending Ayr games during the Robert Connor era and I'm somehow still here. Anything is possible.

Aye but it was only £12 an adult back then. There should be some sort of sliding scale for the pricing for U16-21 in my opinion. 18-21 being covered by Youngscot/student cards. 

Just now, Hawk89 said:

Aye but it was only £12 an adult back then. There should be some sort of sliding scale for the pricing for U16-21 in my opinion. 18-21 being covered by Youngscot/student cards. 

Up to the age of 8 should get in free imo. For teenagers and students up to the age of 16, shouldn't be over £10 entry. Even if they involved the wee pizza place in the deal 'Entry and Pizza for £12 for under 16's' or something along those lines.

£15 to get into Somerset for a youngster is just criminal. It's not just pish results on the pitch that keep the next generation of fans away, it's also greed. 

A minor thing is not announcing in advance the price rises this season. I'm sure previous ones they usually dropped a wee statement to say prices were going up and why. Just to give the fans a head up.

Also highlights.

Also lottery.

Bangala.

Edited by UpInTheAyr

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Doubt it with having to submit them beforehand, they can just cherry pick the ones he wants to answer or just softball any others. He's pretty good at that.

Q - How would the long term plan be impacted by relegation?

A - Well Callum, I think we need to ask ourselves what constitutes relegation for a club like Ayr United *continues to waffle on for 5 minutes*

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think we have plenty of players capable of creating tbf, we just have no one capable of getting them on the ball within sixty yards of goal. No striker to hold it in, midfielders to control the game and get us higher up or even adequate full backs to link with - without any of the three they are pretty fucked. 

Murphy is probably the best of the four, but I still think that he is going to struggle in this team when he returns. 

The rest is obviously spot on, calamitous.

I would be going back to a 4-2-3-1, with Murphy in the ten role, and hoping he can drop in to support the young guys and link things up for us. Amartey up top, as he has some actual physicality, particularly compared to Rose and at the very least his pace stops teams squeezing the game too much. 

I think you're probably right.

It's probably just because there is such a dearth of attacking intent - due to how incapable we are of linking play - that I feel there's no creativity. 

There is creatively capable players there, we just can't make them tick or give them the ball where they can hurt teams. The other night was the perfect example, how many times did we actually play through the lines or attack the wide areas to give the ball to the likes of Chalmers? Genuinely can't remember one time. Completely starved of service.

Edited by AuAl

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The Brian Reid era was a magnitude of times better than what came before and after it.

Aye, Brian Reid was actually a football manager. He had his faults of course but he was miles better than most in the last 20 years.

8 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I think you're probably right.

It's probably just because there is such a dearth of attacking intent - due to how incapable we are of linking play - that I feel there's no creativity. 

There is creatively capable players there, we just can't make them tick or give them the ball where they can hurt teams. The other night was the perfect example, how many times did we actually play through the lines or attack the wide areas to give the ball to the likes of Chalmers? Genuinely can't remember one time. Completely starved of service.

Yeah - I think it was literally once when Chalmers received the ball high up early on. I counted once against Dundee United too, when McGeady got a shot away. It’s just really poor stuff! The easiest fix probably is a target man to hold it up and bring them into play tbh. 

3 hours ago, WalkerMcCollsAvenue said:

The toxicity around Somerset is worse than I can ever remember so it just makes a very tough task that much harder though.

Sorry, got to say that this is far off the mark for me. The Hopkin era was incredibly toxic up until he was sacked, and that was only a few years ago!

I remember standing in the SRE during Dalziel's last season and every home game it felt like the entire stand was singing, 'Dalziel, Dalziel, get to f**k!' We're not quite at that stage yet. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah - I think it was literally once when Chalmers received the ball high up early on. I counted once against Dundee United too, when McGeady got a shot away. It’s just really poor stuff! The easiest fix probably is a target man to hold it up and bring them into play tbh. 

Aye, tbh if we had started the season with a target man type (not necessarily anywhere near the quality of Dipo) and had played a style that enabled him to hold the ball up and bring Murphy, McGeady, Chalmers, Amartey etc into play (not that I'm advocating completely for hoofball football), I think there would a lot less negatively - mostly because we would have scored goals. This team is crying out for someone to bring all those guys into play in attacking positions.

The problem, that we have all been pointing out for a few weeks at least, is that our game set up, approach and our signings are largely at odds with each other. Nothing seems to tie in. Which is why we're seeing the performances we are.

Edited by AuAl

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Aye, tbh if we had started the season with a target man type (not necessarily anywhere near the quality of Dipo) and had played a style that enabled him to hold the ball up and bring Murphy, McGeady, Chalmers, Amartey etc into play (not that I'm advocating completely for hoofball football), I think there would a lot less negatively - mostly because we would have scored goals. This team is crying out for someone to bring all those guys into play in attacking positions.

The problem, that we have all been pointing out for a few weeks at least, is that our approach and our signings are largely at odds with each other. Nothing seems to tie in. Which is why we're seeing the performances we are.

It’ll be interesting if we get anyone in before Partick, but I’m at an absolute loss who that could be given the style of player we need. 

Reid had us playing a certain way very well, well drilled and effective. Teams had to work hard to beat us. 

Bullen did the same thing last season, kind of. We were solid defensively and it was up to the opposition defenders to cope with Dipo. 

Both didn’t really have a plan B