The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Hearing Kris Doolan talk at full time about how they replaced their best players with proven championship players and former winners shows how you can recruit successfully and with minimal risk.

We really have had a disastrous transfer window: bringing in substandard replacements and not addressing glaring defensive issues

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Disconnected from reality.

Quality contribution once again. 

It might genuinely be because he looked lost against Falkirk and tonight looked better but I’m not in favour of writing him off yet. He was far from our biggest failure tonight. 

I thought Stanger was poor as was McAllister. I’ve said my bit on the midfielders and why we’ll struggle with them but Young looks decent as someone who can recycle possession but that’s a bit of a luxury in a team that is down the bottom end. Syla was better tonight but looks a bit rash and is one to watch for bookings this season. Chalmers stood out but Ngwenya was hopeless defensively and he has a habit of trying to make everyone look complicated. He was still our best player on the night and should be a good foil for Dowds. Good to see Murphy, and I don’t think it’s a huge coincidence that Reading plays better with him on the park, but I’d have had him off after an hour and stuck Amartey on as he was clearly tiring. 

A 4-0 result isn’t one where you can spend time looking at the positives but there is a bit of potential in the squad but I fear it’s going to be held back by Bullen and/or a lack of experience in key positions. 

2 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

They were very good for half an hour and knocked it about very nicely. The problem is that neither of them looked fit enough to play more than 45 minutes. 

I think that's the step up from under 23s which is nowhere near as fast and physical. The fact they were fine for a half is what makes me think they'll get there.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not actually entirely sure but he had more about him tonight that we’ve seen before. He was getting in behind a few times and I thought he was quite encouraging. 

The issue is that both he and McKenzie look like they’d be decent foil for a goalscorer. They’re players who create space for a partner but I don’t think you can play them together.

Quite encouraging isn’t enough, though.

Honestly folk constantly making excuses for strikers who never actually score or assist because they round around lots might be my biggest modern football pet peeve.

2 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

We really have had a disastrous transfer window: bringing in substandard replacements and not addressing glaring defensive issues

This is it. Replacing Akinyemi was a huge ask but it is completely astonishing the way the club went about their business. The only comparable situation is when Falkirk got relegated.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Quality contribution once again. 

It might genuinely be because he looked lost against Falkirk and tonight looked better but I’m not in favour of writing him off yet. He was far from our biggest failure tonight. 

I thought Stanger was poor as was McAllister. I’ve said my bit on the midfielders and why we’ll struggle with them but Young looks decent as someone who can recycle possession but that’s a bit of a luxury in a team that is down the bottom end. Syla was better tonight but looks a bit rash and is one to watch for bookings this season. Chalmers stood out but Ngwenya was hopeless defensively and he has a habit of trying to make everyone look complicated. He was still our best player on the night and should be a good foil for Dowds. Good to see Murphy, and I don’t think it’s a huge coincidence that Reading plays better with him on the park, but I’d have had him off after an hour and stuck Amartey on as he was clearly tiring. 

A 4-0 result isn’t one where you can spend time looking at the positives but there is a bit of potential in the squad but I fear it’s going to be held back by Bullen and/or a lack of experience in key positions. 

Listen up everyone!  Rose being utter dugmeat was actually a figment of your imagination.  

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not actually entirely sure but he had more about him tonight that we’ve seen before. He was getting in behind a few times and I thought he was quite encouraging. 

The issue is that both he and McKenzie look like they’d be decent foil for a goalscorer. They’re players who create space for a partner but I don’t think you can play them together.

If you play in a forward position in front of the midfield then part of your remit is to score goals. Regardless of whatever else your role is.

On the basis of that tonight for large parts we actually played well and makes me feel a bit for Bullen as he clearly got a bit of a tune out of them.

However he's been given utter shite upfront to work with and we're now pinning our season on Anton Dowds

What a mess....