The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Just watched that interview. He looks like a broken man, I genuinely thought he was going to tear up at a point there. He's done as much as he can, the board need to take him out the firing line if he doesn't make the decision for them.

I thought it was telling that he was embarrassed with himself for having seemingly given them so much abuse at half time that they stopped caring entirely. So at least slightly more self-aware than John Hughes.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Pretty sure I saw him in the press area on Saturday. Can only hope that opening half an hour would have put him off applying for the job if/when it comes up 

He's on the list of Sportsound commentators with an irrational love for a trip down the A77. Wouldn't read more than that into it.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd be punting Mathie as well. Guy swans around like he owns the place whilst being part of the mess of dross signings we've had. If Bullen goes, get this chancer away as well

To paraphrase the Mary Whitehouse Experience: he's on the board. He does own the place.

Getting extremely tired of people demanding the heads of folk whose jobs they literally do not understand. Mathie's had exactly one managerial appointment to go on. You turn over board members like that and you end up with the club in liquidation.

We really need to finish the season as strongly as possible to (I know it’s only one of many reasons) try and fill up the new hospitality suite.  Could end up being pretty empty on the basis of Bullen-Ball

9 minutes ago, Iain said:

In the event Bullen is punted, who do we think will report it first?

a) The club;

b) VOR;

c) Scott Burns/other media 'insider';

d) ITK P&B user; or

e) other

Voice presumably.

30 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Bullen is a nice guy and I have no personal animus towards him. He has given it his best shot but he's been found wanting.

I will be amazed if he is in the dugout on Saturday. It won't just be Bullen who gets pilloried it will be Mathie & Smith. It is an abdication of leadership to allow this farce to continue.

I’ll be amazed if he isn’t in the dugout on Saturday. I only see him going if we actually drop into the relegation places.

Kerr wasn’t Smith’s guy.

Hopkin walked.

Duffy wasn’t Mathie’s guy.

Bullen is both Smith and Mathie’s guy. And they appeared like a happy family at times last season. I wouldn’t be shocked if they hadn’t even considered sacking him.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Kerr wasn’t Smith’s guy.

Hopkin walked.

Bullen is both Smith and Mathie’s guy. And they appeared like a happy family at times last season. I wouldn’t be shocked if they hadn’t even considered sacking him.

Aye, this. 

As worrying as it is, I don't think you're wrong here at all. 

Depressing.

Kerr was at least supposed to be Continuity McCall (he is the most McCall's Guy in football). Hopkin and Duffy were supposed to be safeish options to keep the club up during major off-field upheaval. Bullen is the first one you could say any real thought went into.

I definitely do think he's on a shoogly peg even with the board at this point. You can't be letting League One pish like Muirhead score perfect hat-tricks against you and be safe. I'm at least currently on board with the notion that they're giving his replacement a good thought as opposed to a desperate scramble or a lazy internal fix.

24 minutes ago, Iain said:

In the event Bullen is punted, who do we think will report it first?

a) The club;

b) VOR;

c) Scott Burns/other media 'insider';

d) ITK P&B user; or

e) other

I think we know it won’t be a)

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Kerr wasn’t Smith’s guy.

Hopkin walked.

I think that Smith will see that he (Bullen) is wasting his money and jeopardising his project. Whatever else people may throw at him, he isn't dumb or blind.

I think it's more likely to be a question of timing - would much be achieved by exiting him before Saturday's match given that a caretaker would have not have any time to have any impact. That wouldn't stop them sounding out replacements quietly though.

Just now, rgreig said:

I think it's more likely to be a question of timing - would much be achieved by exiting him before Saturday's match given that a caretaker would have not have any time to have any impact.

If the manager has lost the dressing room then history has ample evidence to suggest you can replace him with a pile of jerseys and get a result in the next home game.

The most important thing timing-wise right now is that the sooner a replacement is in, the more time they have to fix some of the more glaring deficiencies during the window. The worst case scenario is for the club to spend the next three weeks begging their third choice to take over and for the club to have its typical window of last-minute unseen signings from the Evostik South sneak in at the last minute.

5 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I think that Smith will see that he (Bullen) is wasting his money and jeopardising his project. Whatever else people may throw at him, he isn't dumb or blind.

I think it's more likely to be a question of timing - would much be achieved by exiting him before Saturday's match given that a caretaker would have not have any time to have any impact. That wouldn't stop them sounding out replacements quietly though.

Our usual caretaker team have repeatedly achieved positive results on short notice.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

If the manager has lost the dressing room then history has ample evidence to suggest you can replace him with a pile of jerseys and get a result in the next home game.

That's a very fair point - if Mathie knows from speaking to some of the senior players that the squad no longer believes in him as manager to the extent that his presence is toxic then there is zero point in delaying the inevitable.

I don’t think anything will happen before Saturday.  Defeat then, and probably even a draw might prompt action.  But personally, I think Mathie and the board are going to resist making a change for as long as humanly possible.

It feels inevitable that he'll go but at the same time I'm almost certain he'll be here till the end of the season.

And for people defending Mathie, if he's in charge of recruitment (who knows if he is or not, I've got no clue), then let's just have a think about Bangala, Pendlebury, Rose, Ahui. Absolute disasters.

I don't think Mathie will or should go just now but he needs to prove he's learned from these monumental baws ups.

Just now, Scott-ish said:

It feels inevitable that he'll go but at the same time I'm almost certain he'll be here till the end of the season.

And for people defending Mathie, if he's in charge of recruitment (who knows if he is or not, I've got no clue), then let's just have a think about Bangala, Pendlebury, Rose, Ahui. Absolute disasters.

I don't think Mathie will or should go just now but he needs to prove he's learned from these monumental baws ups.

You can provide ample players we’ve signed since Mathie came in that have done well though. 

I don’t think Mathie has anything to prove tbh. He just needs to show that he can make a decision before the situation gets worse. 

Dave Smith is our best hope here. He didn't become a wealthy man by allowing sentiment to dictate his thinking.

Furthermore, he is a fellow fan and he has eyes. Mathie is too invested as he appointed Bullen. It is Smith that is signing these cheques. There is no way he'll allow Bullen and Mathie (to a degree) to keep pissing his money up the wall. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Dave Smith is our best hope here. He didn't become a wealthy man by allowing sentiment to dictate his thinking.

Furthermore, he is a fellow fan and he has eyes. Mathie is too invested as he appointed Bullen. It is Smith that is signing these cheques. There is no way he'll allow Bullen and Mathie (to a degree) to keep pissing his money up the wall. 

He didn't even want to move on from Hopkin. Not sure this is where we should pin our hopes.