The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Aye, I'd argue that the our wildly inconsistent form and ability to completely bottle every big game in the last couple of years (other than that night in Inverness), has been more detrimental to the general interest in the club from supporters outwith all of us core supporters than it would be to have a manager that is less interested in "community" aspects.

I'm all for community engagement and increasing the image of the club, but the best way to do that is by winning games. Fair weather fans may look kindly on the club if we're doing good stuff out with football, but I don't see them buying season tickets if it's clear we are rotten to watch on the pitch.

Give us a manager that knows how to win games.

Edited by AuAl

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I know it's a low bar but compare the club's media output under McCall to that under the next two managers. I'd argue that it was better than Bullen's as well for that matter. But my main beef was with the idea that McCall somehow didn't care or put in the effort. His problem is the exact opposite.

At no point did I say McCall didn’t care or put in the effort, but I do think he prioritised what HE considered to be important, which I think could be a source of tension with the current setup.  That wasn’t always a good thing - his total disinterest in the Academy meant he completely missed the emergence of Luke McCowan (at the same time as he was out signing dross like Calvin Miller).  And as far as I can tell, there were plenty of occasions where Scally did take training on a miserable January morning.

But in the end, if we’re looking for an experienced manager, on our budget, with a proven track record of success at our level, then McCall would be an obvious choice.  If he hadn’t been Ayr manager previously, with the alleged baggage of his walk out (he didn’t really walk out on us), I’d say he was just about the outstanding candidate available.  Should you never go back?  Ally did it I suppose, and it worked out fine.

I just don’t have a great deal of confidence in the current setup getting it right, given we’ve spent 2 years prioritising enthusiasm, commitment and likeability whilst completely taking our eye off the ball in terms of real progress on the park.  

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

We could barely get him out his West End coffee shop to take training at times.

17 minutes ago, Nelson said:

At no point did I say McCall didn’t care or put in the effort

Edited by Thumper

We are probably 48 hours away from a full meltdown of the support as time passes on without an update and rumours of another rejection come out. 
Be even worse if Clyde get a result tonight. 
Monday will be the last full week of the active window to get folk in or out the club. 

This is were the club needed to have a hand on the collective shoulder of the support from the start, which has been a problem for the last couple of years. 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We are probably 48 hours away from a full meltdown of the support as time passes on without an update and rumours of another rejection come out. 
Be even worse if Clyde get a result tonight. 
Monday will be the last full week of the active window to get folk in or out the club. 

This is were the club needed to have a hand on the collective shoulder of the support from the start, which has been a problem for the last couple of years. 

What does this even mean?

What are people expecting them to say right now that would satisfy everyone? If it had been weeks then yes you’d expect some sort of update but it’s been 4 days. Clubs don’t tend to keep supporters updated with every step of appointing a a manager. Putting loads of info in the public domain while the process is still ongoing generally isn’t a good idea.

It’s also not their responsibility to release a denial statement in response to some rumours floating about on Pie and Bovril. We’re not Rangers.

I’ve said it already but I don’t understand the clamour for statements/updates every 5 minutes that goes on in this thread sometimes.

Just now, eez-eh said:

What are people expecting them to say right now that would satisfy everyone? If it had been weeks then yes you’d expect some sort of update but it’s been 4 days. Clubs don’t tend to keep supporters updated with every step of appointing a a manager. Putting loads of info in the public domain while the process is still ongoing generally isn’t a good idea.

It’s also not their responsibility to release a denial statement in response to some rumours floating about on Pie and Bovril. We’re not Rangers.

I’ve said it already but I don’t understand the clamour for statements/updates every 5 minutes that goes on in this thread sometimes.

I think if communication was generally good then people would be more patient. The fact they've struggled a bit in that area lately means many people will simply transfer their existing overall negative impression to the specific matter of the managerial search.

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

I think if communication was generally good then people would be more patient. The fact they've struggled a bit in that area lately means many people will simply transfer their existing overall negative impression to the specific matter of the managerial search.

The secrecy over team news is a black mark. No denying that. I’m sure there’s other things I’m forgetting as well. But it feels like some people want statements for the sake of it sometimes.

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

We sacked a manager and are looking to appoint a new one and haven’t heard a thing from the guy who runs the football side of the club…

As I said before, last time Mathie was clear about updating throughout in terms of the progress, a timeline and what they were looking for etc. If you previously set a standard, then people will look for that to be matched. A singular update with a timeline would be absolutely fine - are they waiting on applications, are they approaching people, when are they interviewing people etc etc. 

I don’t see why that’s a particularly difficult thing to do over an entire week, and it isn’t much to ask for. 

Edited by No_Problemo