The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

It's good to know Brown isn't scared of being a bit ruthless with his changes if he feels it needs to be done. Tomlinson actually did very well going forward, but we did look quite vulnerable defensively down that side in the first half. Hopefully Tomlinson gets some more game time soon, just needs to be the right circumstances.

Also, McGeady hasn't appeared off the bench in the last couple games. Hopefully means Brown has noticed that he's just not got it. Was concerned that with them probably having been pals that he might just stick with bringing him on regularly.

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

How was Amartey when he came on?

Good to see he hasn’t been completely bombed out, as I still think he can offer something in that McKenzie role in certain types of game. 

I can't really remember him doing much of note tbh. If we had got him running at them a bit more I think we could have seen him cause problems as the game was starting to get a bit stretched as they pushed for a way back in. Having said that, seem to recall him getting the ball lost in his own feet a couple of times as he ran forward. Not had much game time recently so will give him the benefit of the doubt, I think his pace and direct running can offer us an option in some games.

Edited by AUcal

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

How was Amartey when he came on?

Good to see he hasn’t been completely bombed out, as I still think he can offer something in that McKenzie role in certain types of game. 

Gave the ball away a couple of times in the middle, luckily Ballon D'Or was on hand today to mop up. Franny had a couple of runs at them but seems to have shat it, once in the box.  Could have won the game today for us but equally could have lost it, which explains Broonies outburst. 

Got to be delighted with the start Brown and Whittaker have made 6 out of 9 points in the league could easily have been 7 maybe even 9 but for two mistakes by Charlie and gave a good account of ourselves at Ibrox, cant wait to see what they both can do when they get a pre season and a full transfer window behind them.

Really solid performance today. Dowds was excellent and linked up really well, McGinty, Sanders, and Reading were all very solid at the back, and Syla has been getting better every week since Brown has come in. Tomlinson was excellent going forward but defensively he isn't up to it yet, if McAllister is still out next week I'd like to see Stanger there as Musonda is solid defensively but doesn't do enough going forward.

Brown's game management is also a real step up from before. Was willing to drop Chalmers after a poor performance last week, made the right subs, and saw things out at the end well. 

Plenty to be positive about and I'm confident we'll be fine this season, hopefully we'll still be able to make another signing before the end of February though, obviously excluding a new keeper in on loan in Mutch is going to be out for a while.

Given all our January signings were loans till the end of the season, I get the feeling Brown will be wanting to bring more of his own players in in the summer. I wonder if we will see a move away from trying to sign players from the English low leagues en-mass. 

13 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Given all our January signings were loans till the end of the season, I get the feeling Brown will be wanting to bring more of his own players in in the summer. I wonder if we will see a move away from trying to sign players from the English low leagues en-mass. 

We have got to seriously invest in a quality squad next season to build for promotion.  With the new stand open , the hospitality needs filled and to do that,  the product on the pitch needs to shine.  Brown will be more demanding of funds for the right players. Smith has to see that. You don't see our recruitment practise at Dundee , Dundee Utd, or even Raith this year.

21 minutes ago, Only me... said:

Daire O'connor hat-trick, Rose brace, and even Sam Ashford scoring today. Even Brad Young got one last night. Papa Bullen will be so chuffed. 

If only we still had them all because we would have won 10-2 instead.

McGinty was brilliant at Ibrox last week as well. I think Willoughby will be decent once he gets a wee run, he will need some time to get up to speed with the style of play though. It's good to have options. 

Wonder what points total will be needed to finish 8th?  The league is so crazy tight that it could be quite high this season.  Worry about it when we hit 40 points I suppose.  

At least if we have to play Hamilton in the playoffs we can always force them to play Rose….,

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Wonder what points total will be needed to finish 8th?  The league is so crazy tight that it could be quite high this season.  Worry about it when we hit 40 points I suppose.  

At least if we have to play Hamilton in the playoffs we can always force them to play Rose….,

Maybe we can recall Ashford from his loan at Cliftonville. He's always good for a goal against Hamilton.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Maybe we can recall Ashford from his loan at Cliftonville. He's always good for a goal against Hamilton.

Is he only on loan?  I thought we’d punted him altogether.