The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

36 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Re: Charlie - sounds like he was unhappy at being told at the last minute he wasn't playing at Ibrox after being in the original lineup and bringing family and pals up to watch.  Was then offered a new deal and said no and has now been told he won't start again and is now looking for a new club back in England.  

Footballers are so emo.

11 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Aye.  Won't play again was actually the quote which is clearly not true as he played for reserves midweek and is obviously gonna come on if Clarke gets sent off etc 

Plus, even if he doesn’t want to stay - he is here for as long as the current starting keeper so no idea how that’s even relevant to anything!

29 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Aye.  Won't play again was actually the quote which is clearly not true as he played for reserves midweek and is obviously gonna come on if Clarke gets sent off etc 

If he says he won’t play, he’ll be in breach of contract and won’t get paid. Much the same as the club can’t just punt a player out, ban them from training etc.

If it’s true then I can understand why he’d be pissed off. But he’s also a professional footballer who will play based on form and he can’t be surprised if he’s dropped. 

I think he’s the best keeper at the club and playing someone else looks like someone is trying to prove a point. 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I think he’s the best keeper at the club and playing someone else looks like someone is trying to prove a point. 

This is a super-aggressive position to take. For me, you could reasonably argue for any of the three senior goalkeepers at the club to start when fit. 

45 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If he says he won’t play, he’ll be in breach of contract and won’t get paid. Much the same as the club can’t just punt a player out, ban them from training etc.

Almost as if this wild hearsay about the actual livelihoods of young people was irresponsible!

For what it's worth, considering the form he was in it's perhaps best that friends and family weren't present for a day which could have been considerably harsher on the visitors.

Edited by Thumper

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Plus, even if he doesn’t want to stay - he is here for as long as the current starting keeper so no idea how that’s even relevant to anything!

Is there not a bit of reading between the lines required if true. His time at Ayr is up and he needs to find a new club. In the meantime whilst he keeps being paid then can do a job if and when needed. Would be sorry to see him go as had some good games for us 

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

Re: Charlie - sounds like he was unhappy at being told at the last minute he wasn't playing at Ibrox after being in the original lineup and bringing family and pals up to watch.  Was then offered a new deal and said no and has now been told he won't start again and is now looking for a new club back in England.  

Tough titty to him. Sounds like he needs to grow up. 

He’s the best keeper we have but that’s tragic if that’s the reason why he isn’t playing. He needs to get a grip

Maybe he thought he did well enough last year to get a move and he's just not been in the right frame of mind all season.  He's regressed back to the poor goalkeeper that arrived so it's really no loss.  If it was last season it certainly would have been.  

IMO Clarke makes the same saves and mistakes and we have him for the season.  

I always look at these things like:

Clarke is a Celtic Player on loan here

Albinson is one of our own 😊

Both will probably be gone at the end of the season. 

So hopefully someone will come in and challenge Mutch, or we get Clarke in on loan again 🫤

Personally, I'd like us to do better than both. 

39 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Maybe he thought he did well enough last year to get a move and he's just not been in the right frame of mind all season.  He's regressed back to the poor goalkeeper that arrived so it's really no loss.  If it was last season it certainly would have been.  

IMO Clarke makes the same saves and mistakes and we have him for the season.  

I think this is pretty much the crux of it - both seem to pull off outstanding saves and make basic errors every so often. As long as Clarke doesn’t make them every game!

Other than that, Albinson is better coming from his line (not that he is great at it, but Clarke seems poor at it) while Clarke is better with his feet. 

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If he says he won’t play, he’ll be in breach of contract and won’t get paid.

"Told he won't play again" that should have said - I was saying it seems a strange thing to tell someone they won't play again yet still play them in the reserves and name them on the bench.   

As far as I can tell the guy himself is gutted at the whole thing 

1 hour ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

He’s the best keeper we have but that’s tragic if that’s the reason why he isn’t playing. He needs to get a grip

Really?  So if we offered Dowds or for example Chalmers or...anyone a contract for next season and they said no just now you'd happily have them told they weren't playing anymore this season?   

Edited by Hursty

4 hours ago, Hursty said:

And played 90 minutes against a decent  Motherwell team on Thursday 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

And played 90 minutes against a decent  Motherwell team on Thursday 

It's a shame how it's ended and personally I think he could have been treated better.  

Football wise he's a middle third Championship keeper IMO.  Therefore replaceable but one that we could easily make an arse of and downgrade.   

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

No one said that tbf. 

A whole lot of people reacting to it as if it was, though.

At least the Burnley U23s nonsense was started by the club, as opposed to a dozen people leaping on something literally labelled as conjecture in the post that brought it up and running with it as gospel.

Edited by Thumper

On keepers, Ecrepont getting rave reviews again this week from big ears Kennedy after EK win over East Stirling. Wish he was just that tad older and would love to see him challenging for No.1 next season.