The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I think it's fair to say that fans wanting the home team to shoot into the home end in the second half has a bit more behind it than "that's how we've always done it". Especially given that the SRE's shallow terraces mean that actually being able to see the away goal line is mostly wishful thinking. This is maybe less of a consideration if you either a) watch most games these days from the prawn sandwich area or b) have no real concept of grounds that aren't massive all-seaters, which might be what led to the current situation.

I’m not entirely sure we have a Prawn Sandwich area.

Surely previously,  you then had that same problem in the first half instead…

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Exactly 

Prior to this season I usually swapped between the North Terracing and the SRE depending on where we are shooting. Granted you cannot see a thing or have any concept of distance at the Railway End when viewing from the SRE however it’s a problem you have to deal with for at least 45 minutes. I don’t see the difference whether that’s the first half or the second half. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There is now!

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Indeed, but if you're chasing a game (and Ayr United are always chasing a game) you want the exciting goals to happen where you can see them.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t see the difference whether that’s the first half or the second half. 

I'm generally of the mind to stand at the halfway line on the NT in the first half and then the SRE in the second. One chief advantage of doing it this way around is that the NT is unfortunately located in Scotland, and thus is usually fucking baltic. That obviously gets worse as the sun goes down.

Edited by Thumper

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

There is now!

Indeed, but if you're chasing a game (and Ayr United are always chasing a game) you want the exciting goals to happen where you can see them.

I'm generally of the mind to stand at the halfway line on the NT in the first half and then the SRE in the second. One chief advantage of doing it this way around is that the NT is unfortunately located in Scotland, and thus is usually fucking baltic. That obviously gets worse as the sun goes down.

Won’t be an issue once you join the prawn sandwich brigade and can watch the full 90 from the comfort of a big glass box with your arse cushioned in leather. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Won’t be an issue once you join the prawn sandwich brigade and can watch the full 90 from the comfort of a big glass box with your arse cushioned in leather. 

Is it still the case that even in the PSB area you're forbidden from actually consuming drink while there is football being played? In which case it is always going to be a strictly inferior experience to smuggling a bottle into the SRE, leather seats or no leather seats.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

There is now!

Dowds effort against Morton that came off the bar is a prime example, I’m not sure most folk in the SRE  knew it hit the bar. Had they done, it might have raised the atmosphere a bit. 

Other managers have talked about the benefit of playing that way in the second half, it can give the team a lift and can “suck the ball in to the net” 

Brown or whoever has decided they don’t need it, at a time when the support are displaced. There is no clear reason why. Maybe because the away form is better, they are playing as the away team in some weird Gary Caldwell style act. It’s not really changed anything since it’s happened either. 

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Is it still the case that even in the PSB area you're forbidden from actually consuming drink while there is football being played? In which case it is always going to be a strictly inferior experience to smuggling a bottle into the SRE, leather seats or no leather seats.

Well the one benefit to having a bottle in the SRE or NT is that you quickly forget just how freezing it is or how many goals have been scored for that matter. The concrete is also much comfier with a bottle in you so there’s that. 

Not that I’d know of course. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Maybe because the away form is better

The funny thing here is, you would assume that the idea behind the away form being better would be that when Ayr are away, they only have the hardcore support and not the apathetic ones. But then it takes exactly one second to think, where exactly do you think those hardcore fans stand when they're at home games?

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

The funny thing here is, you would assume that the idea behind the away form being better would be that when Ayr are away, they only have the hardcore support and not the apathetic ones. But then it takes exactly one second to think, where exactly do you think those hardcore fans stand when they're at home games?

I’ve seen some of the other theories to it and they don’t really hold up. Like the pitch is maybe better that end….for warming up? It’s better for stretching on? They’d prefer to attack a plowed field in the first half? The pitch is in good condition. The weather, it’s more sheltered that end? Nope. 
Maybe we’ll get to ask someone at the club once they break cover on Friday to ask for season ticket money. 

Maybe the change in ends is that the SRE lifts the team in the first half to score, in order to flip the 'chasing games' philosophy.... okay, it may not work but by god I'm glad different things are being tried. As mentioned  on this thread a lot, this league really is one of very tight margins so trying something different, might just make the difference between bottom play off and top play off.

Edited by F.T.O.F.1910

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

I’ve seen some of the other theories to it and they don’t really hold up. Like the pitch is maybe better that end….for warming up? It’s better for stretching on? They’d prefer to attack a plowed field in the first half? The pitch is in good condition. The weather, it’s more sheltered that end? Nope. 
Maybe we’ll get to ask someone at the club once they break cover on Friday to ask for season ticket money. 

It'll be almost entirely psychological, like everything else in football. The club now actually has staff for that sort of thing, so one would hope that they were given the chance to work their magic instead of indulging a squad that has basically been afraid of winning games at its own ground for about 18 months.

Hi guys, I've got a question for any of our older fans on here. I'll qualify for an OAP season ticket next season, do I need to provide some sort of proof of age?

Also, and I realise nobody may know the answer to this, will the seated part of the North Stand have allocated seating for a season ticket or will it be "sit anywhere"? Just trying to decide whether to get a standing or seated Season Ticket.

1 minute ago, Stewart, Malone, Murphy... said:

Hi guys, I've got a question for any of our older fans on here. I'll qualify for an OAP season ticket next season, do I need to provide some sort of proof of age?

Also, and I realise nobody may know the answer to this, will the seated part of the North Stand have allocated seating for a season ticket or will it be "sit anywhere"? Just trying to decide whether to get a standing or seated Season Ticket.

I don’t know the answer to the first bit, I’d hope there would be a check of some sorts or there would be a load of 40 year olds going in with a junior season ticket.

The second part, they posted at the start of the week that you can pick your seat in the new stand when you purchase a season ticket, you can move from the main stand if you want to as well. 
The full details will be out tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t know the answer to the first bit, I’d hope there would be a check of some sorts or there would be a load of 40 year olds going in with a junior season ticket.

The second part, they posted at the start of the week that you can pick your seat in the new stand when you purchase a season ticket, you can move from the main stand if you want to as well. 
The full details will be out tomorrow. 

Cheers for the quick reply. I'll probably head down to the club shop and ask about the proof-of-age thing.

I'm very keen to get back to the North Terrace/Stand, like some others I haven't really enjoyed my season in the Somerset Road End, with regards to the view.

On 10/04/2024 at 10:41, diegomarahenry said:

I’m not sure if this is a grudge thing or not but here goes.

As detailed in the quote I posted, new legislation brought in, means that a player who has been at the club for more that two years has a right to appeal if they are not offered a new contract. This is a legal process. This means that the club has to have grounds to NOT offer a contract that isn’t simply Mathie saying to the player - cause yer shite. Otherwise, because of the law, a player could take the club to a tribunal. So any reason would have to stand up to scrutiny. Or the player might know themselves that it is time to move on and a conversation is had. 

This happens outside of football as well. If there is a workforce reduction and you are told to leave, you have the right to fight your case as to why you are losing your job rather than someone else if you feel you outperform someone. 

At no point did I say that you can no longer free any players ever again. 

If any employer, football or otherwise, isn't tracking performance data and can't evidence why they do not want to extend a fixed term contract, then hell mend them.

29 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

Would’ve been fairly easy for Amartey to take the huff given he wasn’t playing. Seems to have a real desire to play for us and his comments on Brown are pretty positive. 

11 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Noticed Graeme Mathie is now chairman of the local Youth League in Ayrshire, is he wangling for a blazer at Hampden ?

Step 1 of this nefarious plan for world domination was moving from Hibs to Ayr United.