The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

34 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

The League Cup groups have killed off the concept of getting a decent team up to Scotland for a preseason friendly these days.

They are guaranteed income so unlikely to change anytime soon.

Shame if you are left playing a Celtic and DKB XI to open the new stand.

Cellic 5th july

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Are we really classing either as glamour? 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'd class both as slumming it tbh.

The only reason I'd want to play Killie in preseason is if the Ayrshire Cup was brought back.

Will be money spinners

Circa 5,000 plus crowd for each plus sold out hospitality for both i'd imagine at a rather large sum i'm guessing.

Will help claw back loss of earnings from last season etc along with putting more money back in the pot, whether that goes to the squad or to completing the two ends of the stand who knows. 

Tbf, even if it’s them or the Glasgow 2 it’s cash for the new season. If we had another Scottish team or an English outfit, unless it was their 1st team I won’t pay to get in. It’s a dodgy time for friendlies, make the most money  but sell your soul? Choice is ours/theirs…

I say take the money.

Whoever can bring in the largest crowd - go with that.

Come December, no one will be bothered who we played, but I’m damn sure we will all be calling for a signing or two come January.

I understand why folk don't want to be associated with the OF. But like it or not, with Scott Brown & Aiden McGeady in the place, we do have links, which we'd be crazy not to capitalise on. Whether in terms of organising friendly games, or signings/ loan deals. For me, it would be quite nice to see Somerset Park full & bouncing, to kick off the new season.

Where do we fit them all in though? Surely we wont end up with the new stand being full of Celtic fans on the opening day? 

The reality is if you want a glamour friendly in the summer now, the best you’ll get is one of those two. Pretty much every English Premier League team goes to America now and below that is meh. Don’t exactly want to be opening a new stand against Barnsley or something.

I would take one against Blackburn, I know they aren't the club that once were but Ally McLeod was a legend as a player there so we have that link, but yeah Celtic or Killie it will be and it's a bit meh but will hopefully bring in some money for Brown to invest in the squad.

I know this goes against the grain with many, but any chance to play the DKBs is ok in my book.

There can be too long in between competitive games against them sometimes.

And as far as Celtic is concerned, I’ll take that too - beats getting pumped by the likes of Cowdenbeath (which leaves a scar that is hard to remove).

I don’t care who we play pre-season, the games mean nothing and the results reflect nothing.

playing Kilmarnock I guess, benefits them as it will definitely be a competitive game that they need before being pumped out of Europe by a team of Gibraltarian waiters.

Celtic, we’ll get a big crowd and some cash, almost to the point that Ayr fans need not turn up.

Maybe we’ll have signed a player by July.  

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t care who we play pre-season, the games mean nothing and the results reflect nothing.

playing Kilmarnock I guess, benefits them as it will definitely be a competitive game that they need before being pumped out of Europe by a team of Gibraltarian waiters.

Celtic, we’ll get a big crowd and some cash, almost to the point that Ayr fans need not turn up.

Maybe we’ll have signed a player by July.  

Aye, feels like it's all went a bit quiet now.  Not even any news on anyone accepting or rejecting contract offers.

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Aye, feels like it's all went a bit quiet now.  Not even any news on anyone accepting or rejecting contract offers.

The players must have a deadline, Nathan McGinley is still technically an Ayr United player for f**k sake, if we offered him a contract, I’m sure he’d sign it within seconds, assuming they had made a mistake. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The players must have a deadline, Nathan McGinley is still technically an Ayr United player for f**k sake, if we offered him a contract, I’m sure he’d sign it within seconds, assuming they had made a mistake. 

He's gone, was only a pay as you play deal and was away after Partick game I am sure.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

He's gone, was only a pay as you play deal and was away after Partick game I am sure.

He’s one of the players mentioned as expired contracts. In the same section as Musonda, Reading and Albinson they announced the three that were freed and never mentioned him. IMG_3660.thumb.jpeg.7a3e5e50ff0745e17534bba33776bac8.jpeg

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I remember being absolutely buzzing when we pumped Motherwell 4-0 in a friendly and thought we would win the league. 😂