The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Rodders1910 said:

As the first team coach/manager I think that if Bullen said he didn't didn't want to shop in that market then Mathie etc would have listened. 

I think that market had been identified as being a good one for uncovering a gem and selling on for a large profit. That strategy was mentioned several times by Mathie and was the direction the club had chosen to follow 

I can only see retaining mcallister and reading as squad players or as competition with others. They do a job at this level, and both came onto a bit of game under Brown. But hopefully he has genuine quality lined up in these positions. He must. It’s been a glaring weakness for 2-3 seasons. 

Really don’t see the need in 2 years though unless they really rate him. Should be a year take it or leave it. If you don’t want it fair enough there’s the door.

We gave out 1 year deals for years to our best players now we’re handing out multi year contracts to everyone and their dog.

You don't sign squad players to two year contracts FFS. He actually had a decent spell with Murphy in front of him but he's going to have to keep that up to be worth starting every week.

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I think that market had been identified as being a good one for uncovering a gem and selling on for a large profit. That strategy was mentioned several times by Mathie and was the direction the club had chosen to follow 

I understand that but the point is that Bullen was either too lazy to look for proven championship level players in the Scottish market or didn't have the back bone to push for more of these types of signings. Either way it looks bad on him imo.

Watret, McAllister, McGinty, Stanger, Reading, (Sanders offered), Musonda (offered)

We're not bringing in another 2 defenders after that, 1 at a push unless McGinty is binned. If Musonda signs, he's our 2nd left back btw.

1 minute ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

I can only see retaining mcallister and reading as squad players or as competition with others. They do a job at this level, and both came onto a bit of game under Brown. But hopefully he has genuine quality lined up in these positions. He must. It’s been a glaring weakness for 2-3 seasons. 

That might work on the left hand side but on the right Watret should be the cover player if he's as good as  others are saying 

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

The market does exist as seen with Dipo or as I've seen with Dapo Afolayan who was at Solihull Moors and has just been promoted to the Bundesliga.  

The problem is the rarity of these players and it feeling like it's the only place we really look.  

f**k knows why we signed Rose, he wasn’t right for the way Bullen played, Amartey was a player who we didn’t use enough and then didn’t fit in to Browns system. 
Not heartbroken about either leaving, both could end up at other Championship teams and good luck to them.

Reading. Not arsed, he needs competition and if that competition is to be Musonda, then we are just making the same mistakes over and over again. The defence needed a flush out, it was horrible last year. We need a new centre half and left/right back to improve things. 

Hopefully the wages freed up will get a couple of deals across the line now. 

2 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

I understand that but the point is that Bullen was either too lazy to look for proven championship level players in the Scottish market or didn't have the back bone to push for more of these types of signings. Either way it looks bad on him imo.

Bullen finished second in his first season and perhaps the feeling was that these type of players worked. Last season it all unravelled pretty quickly but would also say we played the budget tight as the resources were going into the new stand 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Bullen finished second in his first season and perhaps the feeling was that these type of players worked. Last season it all unravelled pretty quickly but would also say we played the budget tight as the resources were going into the new stand 

What resources?  Smith paid for it all. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

What resources?  Smith paid for it all. 

The cash being made available for players or being put into the club. Costs of the stand rocketed and the club were quite right to balance the books.  

11 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

The cash being made available for players or being put into the club. Costs of the stand rocketed and the club were quite right to balance the books.  

They mothballed sections of the main stand due to the increase in costs. Smith is paying for it.
The pitch was going to impact the club but we finished 2nd and made a small profit. The Dipo money was spent, partly I assume, on the 3 players we had to sign as an emergency. 

Just now, muZZa__44 said:

Do find it interesting that Reading got the 2 year deal while McAllister only got a 1 year deal

McCallister initially signed a 2 year deal, he only signed a 1 year deal last season and again this year. I think there are still doubts at our end, he’s capable to play 36 games at this level.