The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

22 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I’m not sure why St Johnstone are jumping in so quick.  

They're not, really. He ticks some boxes so they've asked permission to speak more to him about the job. 

Depends on who the unnamed manager is but I'd think Brown will be probably be 3rd or 4th on the list. Lynch feels like he's the most likely if they could get him.

I struggle to see the sense in Brown considering a move to St Johnstone. Why go to a team that’s in decline, or at least in stagnation,  than stay at club that’s got a lot going for it and is tangibly improving.  Brown’s not daft, he seems like he picks battles  well and goes where he has a decent chance of success. What’s the point in going to Saints if that’s his reasoning? It’s like taking the Ross County job or something. Go to a club of similar stature to finish, at best, 9th in the spfl. What’s the point?  

The only sense (and it’s tenuous) in him signalling interest might be in trying to get some leverage over Smith? Just to keep the pressure on him to keep providing Brown with what he feels he needs to win matches. Even that seems too far fetched, OTT Machiavellian to be true.  Also pointless cos he is well backed. 

Seems like really daft blunder in the sense that A) he goes and has a typically dreary st Johnstone season and advances nothing, or B) he stays, alienates Ayr fans who have, for the most part, warmed to him and knocks a good bit of the sheen off the feel good factor around the club. 

31 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Training has been described as "intense" and "high risk high reward" by people on the inside.  Players are dropping like flies and incurring injury when returning to training.  It's clear. 

Also heard someone describe it as extremely demanding and tense.

Possibly a case of too much for some. 

However I do wonder if it's also got something to do with where they train. Isn't it on 4g turf? It might no suit the type of training they're doing. I've seen it a couple of times at Craigie and it's exhausting watching it 😳

7 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Go to a club of similar stature to finish, at best, 9th in the spfl.

Why would finishing 9th be the maximum ambition for us?

We've had more top 6 finishes than not in the past decade, played in Europe about 6 times, and won 3 major trophies

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would finishing 9th be the maximum ambition for us?

We've had more top 6 finishes than not in the past decade, played in Europe about 6 times, and won 3 major trophies

It’s not the maximum ambition. But It’s the likelier outcome. 

45 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Training has been described as "intense" and "high risk high reward" by people on the inside.  Players are dropping like flies and incurring injury when returning to training.  It's clear. 

35 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I honestly forgot there were people who thought injury crisis' were just simply bad luck :lol:

It’s not clear. It might be the reason, it might not be. It’s most probably a bit of this and a bit of that. It’s far too early for it to be clear.

1 minute ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Can’t believe you just admitted to that! Do you really shop in Asda?

Mostly Sainsbury's, but the wee mans nappies from Asda were a better fit, so she gets mine there

Jeezo guys whether we like it or not we haven’t been in the top division since the 70’s and probably still a little short to get there yet. While St Johnstone have consistently been a top flight team with the resources and the budget associated with this. No brainer for Brown I’m afraid.

4 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Jeezo guys whether we like it or not we haven’t been in the top division since the 70’s and probably still a little short to get there yet. While St Johnstone have consistently been a top flight team with the resources and the budget associated with this. No brainer for Brown I’m afraid.

I think it's the fact Brown hasn't even been in charge for a full season is the most grating aspect of it all. That he hasn't actually accomplished anything and the first round of fixtures aren't even complete 

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Can't argue with the above.

Just reckon there would be more Kudos taking ( and possibly keeping ) Ayr United in the Top League, than simply surviving ( and possibly pushing for a top 6 ) with St.Johnstone.  

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m quite interested in what “high risk, high reward” training actually is…

Thats a completely different thing from intense training. 

I think Jamie Murphy alluded to it on Open Goal and mentioned how Brown is big on full body contact. Although I've no clue how that works in training 

4 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

In the last 3 seasons that’s where you’ve finished, more or less. You’re currently 10th and playing shite. 

Exactly. We play shite and finish 10th so why should a manager who expects to do better than shite only realistically think they can finish 9th?

We genuinely have 2 of the best strikers in the league. A decent manager sorts the defence and gets them firing and should be looking to push for the top half.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Exactly. We play shite and finish 10th so why should a manager who expects to do better than shite only realistically think they can finish 9th?

We genuinely have 2 of the best strikers in the league. A decent manager sorts the defence and gets them firing and should be looking to push for the top half.

Sarcastic Yes Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Managers sometimes need to strike while the iron is hot. If Brown is interested and St Johnstone were to offer him the role then fair enough.

I wouldn't be happy with it, but its a club in a higher division, with success in the past decade that we haven't come close to, ever. 

If he goes then we move on and try to bring in someone who can get something out of this squad, which is on paper, decent for our level.

I'm not sure Brown will go though. I don't think he's really achieved enough to be considered. Having said that, we have started the season very well. Although I do have to agree with others though, the rate of injuries really is quite concerning and is a valid question to ask.

Edited by AUcal