The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Wages would have to be paid up until the contracts end or redundancy paid, not sure what impact that would have on finances, would the club scrape through? Maybe the board would have to fire in some additional cash.
One thing is certain though, we wouldn’t be the only club in turmoil. Raith, Falkirk, Morton, Queens would all definitely be in a spot of bother. Alloa too if you listen to their chairman.

QOTS at least turned a profit in their recent accounts but I’d imagine everyone in Scotland outside the obvious clubs will struggle.

If they’re ending the leagues early without finishing then I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable for the prize money to divvied up more equally amongst the clubs.

8 hours ago, HMIP said:

I can only judge from your own comment.  You’re suggestion that the SFA “shat it” was what drew my attention.   The idea that we can continue to play football in the current situation is absurd.  The government are saying that they expect 60% of the population (about 40 million people) to catch the virus with 8 million people experiencing severe symptoms and 50% of that number requiring hospital treatment of some kind.  The idea that we can plough on with non essential activity is just plain irresponsible.

All of that is true, but Sturgeon stated that the ban was being implemented take pressure off the emergency services. Most events with 500+ in attendance do not require police and a fair amount do not require professional medical cover.  The peak is not expected for a good few weeks yet so police and ambulance services aren't stretched, currently. We all know that they will be stretched like they never been, but that isn't just now. With all the doom and gloom in the media there is an argument that people need some sort of distraction . Of course when (not if) players contract the virus the game's a bogey.

I'm speaking as someone who works in the public sector and who could well be taken off my normal job to support people / communities affected, so i am very aware of the gravity of the situation.

Edited by RedEd

57 minutes ago, RedEd said:

All of that is true, but Sturgeon stated that the ban was being implemented take pressure off the emergency services. Most events with 500+ in attendance do not require police and a fair amount do not require professional medical cover.  The peak is not expected for a good few weeks yet so police and ambulance services aren't stretched, currently. We all know that they will be stretched like they never been, but that isn't just now. With all the doom and gloom in the media there is an argument that people need some sort of distraction . Of course when (not if) players contract the virus the game's a bogey.

I'm speaking as someone who works in the public sector and who could well be taken off my normal job to support people / communities affected, so i am very aware of the gravity of the situation.

This. There is not long left of the season really and cant see it being restarted if peak is weeks/months away yet. Your point about the emergency services is spot on. They could have just let this carry on a little bit further until the tipping point was reached. The extra gate money could make the difference for certain clubs surviving as only missing three instead of the five remaining home gates etc. Let’s hope Sturgeon digs deep and offers some support should the clubs need it 

8 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

This. There is not long left of the season really and cant see it being restarted if peak is weeks/months away yet. Your point about the emergency services is spot on. They could have just let this carry on a little bit further until the tipping point was reached. The extra gate money could make the difference for certain clubs surviving as only missing three instead of the five remaining home gates etc. Let’s hope Sturgeon digs deep and offers some support should the clubs need it 

This is insane.  How are you defining tipping point?  Even if we could define it, we don’t know when it will happen.  People should be distancing themselves from each other as much as is practical.  

This is insane.  How are you defining tipping point?  Even if we could define it, we don’t know when it will happen.  People should be distancing themselves from each other as much as is practical.  
You're going full panic mode right away, here.

This is not going away anytime soon chief, it's going to be with us for many months.

It is already too late for complete lockdown to bring it under control - that simply can't happen now (statistical certainty and all that). We need to manage the situation as best we can.

Now if we go full lockdown then you only have a limited amount of time before society starts to crack. Supplies become severely affected, people start to lose faith with the effort, everyone is sitting around on social media with no normality in their life - and shit breaks down.

I'm suggesting that the sfa didn't take the expert advice into consideration regarding the best timing for shutdown. They looked at how people would react from a pr perspective and they shat the bed, and took the easy decision.

And btw, there's plenty of data from other countries who are further down the line. We have a pretty clear idea what's coming next.

There's probably some really creative solutions out there that didn't even get aired.

You could've intervened heavily and stage managed an end of season (shortened season, fewer in attendance, heavy restrictions etc.)

22 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Tipping point is when the emergency services start saying the trends are moving towards pressure on the system or enough players pick up the virus. We have had a mild winter in Scotland and little bed blocking. Hospitals have existing capacity at the minute without even adding in the extra being built. The posts above mention the emergency services are quiet at  and this situation will last for months. We know what’s coming and it will be a shit show but no need for a blanket ban right now 

24 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Tipping point is when the emergency services start saying the trends are moving towards pressure on the system or enough players pick up the virus. We have had a mild winter in Scotland and little bed blocking. Hospitals have existing capacity at the minute without even adding in the extra being built. The posts above mention the emergency services are quiet at  and this situation will last for months. We know what’s coming and it will be a shit show but no need for a blanket ban right now 

^Pretty much my view. I think sporting bodies and governments have opted to be seen to be 'doing something'. The fact is social distancing has limited effect in delaying the virus and wont stop it. There is no stopping it. I also wouldn't be taking my lead from an authoritarian regime in China whose record on public health is ropey at best. 

The fact that it's okay for us to work in organisations with more people than attend the football and go on public transport where there is no option for social distancing makes me sceptical over the benefit of stopping football at this time.

^Pretty much my view. I think sporting bodies and governments have opted to be seen to be 'doing something'. The fact is social distancing has limited effect in delaying the virus and wont stop it. There is no stopping it. I also wouldn't be taking my lead from an authoritarian regime in China whose record on public health is ropey at best. 
The fact that it's okay for us to work in organisations with more people than attend the football and go on public transport where there is no option for social distancing makes me sceptical over the benefit of stopping football at this time.
And the schools are still open, yet all kids football off. It's not very co-ordinated.

29 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

You’re just making stuff up to justify denying the severity of the situation.  

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Things like the old firm game I can understand as mass crowds, subway travel and busy pubs may cause issues. Also European games where fans are travelling doesn’t seem right. Games like Stirling v’s Elgin it makes no sense 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I dont think anyone is denying the severity. It's the timing we are debating here. 

What debate?  This can no longer be contained, so if we’re going to delay as the government wants, non essential social contact should be restricted as much as possible.  The true debate is what constitutes non essential contact.  Football is clearly non essential.  

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Things like the old firm game I can understand as mass crowds, subway travel and busy pubs may cause issues. Also European games where fans are travelling doesn’t seem right. Games like Stirling v’s Elgin it makes no sense 

Yeah, totally agree with that.

The irony is the elite teams (who have bigger supports and thus more risk of spread) are those best placed to cope with not being able to play in front of fans. Whereas the smaller teams heavily reliant on  their attendances are hit hardest. Despite having smaller attendances and less risk. It's a bit of a sucker punch as I expect some small clubs will go to wall as a result.

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

What debate?  This can no longer be contained, so if we’re going to delay as the government wants, non essential social contact should be restricted as much as possible.  The true debate is what constitutes non essential contact.  Football is clearly non essential.  

It never could be contained.

The whole idea is to delay the peak so the health service can cope. Social distancing doesn't actually deliver that. 

Essential versus non-essential is a bit of a triviality. The risk is the same whether its essential or non-essential (ie. 1500 in an office block versus 1500 at the football). In actual fact being at the football with air circulation and UV light is less risky versus an office with no air circulation and limited UV light.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

You're going full panic mode right away, here.

This is not going away anytime soon chief, it's going to be with us for many months.

It is already too late for complete lockdown to bring it under control - that simply can't happen now (statistical certainty and all that). We need to manage the situation as best we can.

Now if we go full lockdown then you only have a limited amount of time before society starts to crack. Supplies become severely affected, people start to lose faith with the effort, everyone is sitting around on social media with no normality in their life - and shit breaks down.

I'm suggesting that the sfa didn't take the expert advice into consideration regarding the best timing for shutdown. They looked at how people would react from a pr perspective and they shat the bed, and took the easy decision.

And btw, there's plenty of data from other countries who are further down the line. We have a pretty clear idea what's coming next.

Not a question of panic, it’s a question of personal responsibility I.e. do what you can as an individual to limit the spread.  That means limiting non essential social contact.

The idea that suspending football equates to a lockdown is ridiculous.  

Just now, HMIP said:

Not a question of panic, it’s a question of personal responsibility I.e. do what you can as an individual to limit the spread.  That means limiting non essential social contact.

The idea that suspending football equates to a lockdown is ridiculous.  

Are you one of the people who bought 1,000 toilet rolls, 500 antibacterial hand washes and 200 face masks?

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It never could be contained.

The whole idea is to delay the peak so the health service can cope. Social distancing doesn't actually deliver that. 

Essential versus non-essential is a bit of a triviality. The risk is the same whether its essential or non-essential (ie. 1500 in an office block versus 1500 at the football). In actual fact being at the football with air circulation and UV light is less risky versus an office with no air circulation and limited UV light.

This is pseudo-science nonsense.  The less contact you have, the less chance you have of becoming infected and crucially, the less you will pass it on.