The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

40 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I’d maybe take jacobs but a few people said he is done- we probably will end up with him though

Done? 

Think they have purley meant injured as he got taken out in the Airdrie game.

Jacobs was one of the few who impressed this season. Expecting him to go somewhere and it will be a loss.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

5-3-2:

New GK

McAllister 

Fjortoft

Baird

Muirhead

Reading

Murdoch

Chalmers

Walsh/Cam

Striker

Striker

Subs: Sandberg, Houston, McGinty, Miller, Todd/another, Salkeld, Moffat 

If we at any stage this season repeat the absolutely catastrophe in central midfield that is Murdoch and Chalmers together I’d be about as seething as I will be when McGinty is announced tomorrow.

Tbf Hopkin did say he was prioritising a goalie (which we’ve not heard much about) and overhauling the defence. I think if Todd or McCowan leave we’ll replace them with but besides that we’ll bring in a couple of strikers on contracts and a few loan players to beef up the attacking positions.

Kyle Jacobs looks to be off to Falkirk but going by the reports of McAllister he could probably play in midfield. Would like to see us go for someone who can be a proper pain in the arse for teams to play against.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Kyle Jacobs looks to be off to Falkirk

Should we be getting outbid by a team in the league below? Are they throwing massive amounts about in League 1!

He's one of the few from last season's Morton team you'd be genuinely pleased at signing. He offers a presence and ability from the middle of the park that we didn't have last season. 

If it means one less jobber signing to get some quality into the squad then I wouldn't be too disappointed. 

Hopkin raids Cappielow for new players and if the rumour is true, misses out on one of the few he should actually be going for. 

Edited by BukyOHare

11 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Should we be getting outbid by a team in the league below? Are they throwing massive amounts about in League 1!

He's one of the few from last season's Morton team you'd be genuinely pleased at signing. He offers a presence and ability from the middle of the park that we didn't have last season. 

If it means one less jobber signing to get some quality into the squad then I wouldn't be too disappointed. 

Hopkin raids Cappielow for new players and if the rumour is true, misses out on one of the few he should actually be going for. 

He maybe has someone else in mind for that position. Just calm down, he made one signing who sounds like he is passionate and plays for the shirt. That was the problem last season nobody gave a f**k 

Noticed on the Europa League coverage last night that Villarreal are from a town of just 50,000 people. Smaller than Ayr. Raises the bar for what we should be achieving quite significantly!

1 minute ago, Iain said:

Noticed on the Europa League coverage last night that Villarreal are from a town of just 50,000 people. Smaller than Ayr. Raises the bar for what we should be achieving quite significantly!

And looking closer to home you just need to look at St Johnstone. Winning both cups. Perth has a smaller population than Ayr. 

16 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

And looking closer to home you just need to look at St Johnstone. Winning both cups. Perth has a smaller population than Ayr. 

Population has no bearing on how a football team performs , 

Edited by Finlay21

15 minutes ago, Iain said:

Just look at the revenue that Villarreal received last season to put into perspective how they perform 

£73 million in TV rights

£98 million in prize money

£36 million in sponsorship 

that’s not including gate receipts !

Edited by Finlay21

7 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Population has no bearing on how a football team performs , 

Not always but there is no doubt that for the size of Ayr and surrounding area we should be performing much better on the park

9 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

5-3-2:

New GK

McAllister 

Fjortoft

Baird

Muirhead

Reading

Murdoch

Chalmers

Walsh/Cam

Striker

Striker

Subs: Sandberg, Houston, McGinty, Miller, Todd/another, Salkeld, Moffat 

That midfield 3 would give me the fear more than McGinty joining Baird in the back 3

A St Johnstone level would be great however if we do ever manage promotion, Hamilton seems more likely.

COVID aside will be interesting to see the attendances this season, I’m not convinced the support is there anymore based on the McCall era.

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Not always but there is no doubt that for the size of Ayr and surrounding area we should be performing much better on the park

Shame that Villareal and Perth don't have the Sh*tty Neighbours Ayr have. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Don’t get that scenario ! Yes we could be better on they park but the population of that area has no effect on how you play 

12 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Don’t get that scenario ! Yes we could be better on they park but the population of that area has no effect on how you play 

It does in terms of support you can gather, which naturally impacts on budgets etc. There are outliers in terms of clubs with small populations/supports doing well (eg St Johnstone) and the opposite (eg Falkirk) but if you look at the finishing positions of all clubs in Scotland this year, the general picture will be better supported clubs in high population areas towards the top, getting lower as you go down.

13 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Last season on paper we had a good squad who should have been top half finishers. This season if we sign dross like McGinty then I really do worry for us, especially with the league being of a more even quality this season. You wont have someone miles ahead like Hearts and you wont have anyone utter shite like Alloa (well perhaps Arbroath). Early days of course but I reckon it will be another slog at the bottom for us

I'm still not seeing where this is the case.  'On paper' you were weaker than Hearts, Dundee, Raith, Dunfermline and The Caley.  Like I said before, your squad has gotten gradually weaker in the last 2 seasons since Shankland etc left.  In 2018/19 you definitely had a top half squad, this season, definitely not.

13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It does in terms of support you can gather, which naturally impacts on budgets etc. There are outliers in terms of clubs with small populations/supports doing well (eg St Johnstone) and the opposite (eg Falkirk) but if you look at the finishing positions of all clubs in Scotland this year, the general picture will be better supported clubs in high population areas towards the top, getting lower as you go down.

There’s a massive difference to the number of people in your catchment area to those who support the local team , just as many people leave Ayrshire to go watch the old firm than attend Ayr and Kilmarnock matches , there is no way the population of your area determines how your football club plays , under McCall we were playing best football in years and still the crowds didn’t go , the day we won the league showed that 

Edited by Finlay21

29 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

A St Johnstone level would be great however if we do ever manage promotion, Hamilton seems more likely.

COVID aside will be interesting to see the attendances this season, I’m not convinced the support is there anymore based on the McCall era.

I actually think COVID presents the club with a great opportunity. Loads of people's routines have been erased these last 14/15 months. Meaning they don't have any other commitments and actually being out at the football will feel quite new/novel. We need to try and capture some of these people initially and retain them.

Unfortunately, building the attendance will take time we are doing a lot of the right things. Improving the match day experience (Somerset Hub. New toilets etc.), increasing links in the community (through the Academy) and improving visibility that we have a football team in the town (advertising on the electronic board on Whitlets road). There is always more we can be doing particularly in the advertising/visibility side in and around the town.

We were on an upward trajectory with McCall though. Routinely we were 2,000+ home fans, that team deserved more but that's how it is. It'll take time.