The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

False fan liar gtf 

Yes, I have been a sleeper, posting on The Ayr forum and posing on an Ayr thread as a fan, even attending all games so that I can post about them.

all so that I can annoy you after a penalty defeat against Dundee United in the league cup.

all worth it. 

43 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

From what I heard on sportsound.

Ayr were sloppy.

Subs were confusing. Maxwell off for Salkeld who “made a lot of pointless runs” 

Muirhead should have walked for an off the ball challenge 

going down to 10 men, losing a centre half with a spare in midfield, yet bringing on another for a forward was Negative, against a team that wasn’t in the game. Hopkin described it as a training game after that point. Well, manning the barricades rather than pushing on, you get what you deserve

the team may deserve support but Hopkin doesn’t 

Most of that is nonsense. But what do I know I was at the game you were listening to Billy Dodds 

40 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

From what I heard on sportsound.

Ayr were sloppy.

Subs were confusing. Maxwell off for Salkeld who “made a lot of pointless runs” 

Muirhead should have walked for an off the ball challenge 

going down to 10 men, losing a centre half with a spare in midfield, yet bringing on another for a forward was Negative, against a team that wasn’t in the game. Hopkin described it as a training game after that point. Well, manning the barricades rather than pushing on, you get what you deserve

the team may deserve support but Hopkin doesn’t 

Oh dear god what drivel . Your hatred of our manager is choking out any common sense you may have had . Maybe playing with your marbles beside the radio is a better fix for you . However you missed a cracking cup tie in the sun today . Ayr battle for two hours and never gave an inch to a team with treble our budget . On another day we win that game 2/3-0. Nobody leaving that ground felt short changed for their £15 . 

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They were positive about Ayr in the majority of the game but also very negative about Dundee United.

Dodds was an Ayr fan. 

the single items in my post were what they said, the latter part was my thoughts. 
Dundee United weren’t in the game up until the sending off and penalty, we could have brought on O’Conner or Chalmers in to midfield, taken off Adeloye or McKenzie, or even drop McKenzie in to midfield and kept some kind of momentum up.

going defensive was what has failed us several times before

Except we didn’t go defensive during the 90 minutes.  The red card put us in the back foot, but that’s pretty inevitable.

13 minutes ago, HMIP said:

It’s really up to the team to prove they can do it in the league now.

This is spot on for me. We had a free hit today at home against a team from the league above who themselves had just beaten the top team in the country. 

The challenge for the players and management is trying to take today's encouraging performance into our league games, every single one of them. 

I don't understand why we'd go back to 3 at the back for example next time out. There's times when coaches and managers can overthink things and try to be too clever. Today worked well, let's build on it. 

Another couple of quality additions to the squad wouldn't go amiss either. 

Much better from us today. We should really have been out of sight before the dubious penalty and sending off. A decision which was even more baffling given that no-one appealed for it. That's three very dubious penalties in three games in a row now. They say these things even out over a season so I'll be keeping score.

I thought Adeloye was fantastic, wasn't happy when Hopkin hooked him for McGinty after the sending off. I thought Maxwell was man of the match though he's so positive on the ball and always trying to drive forward. Murdoch was at it and Muirhead (as Captain - delighted at that) was his usual self.

Much Much better relative to last week. 

Hopkin has rewon some goodwill I've been giving him pelters but I saw enough today to say we're moving in the right direction. We need to see this form and passages of play in the league now.

One last thought, It was good to see that McAllister really exists. 

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Except we didn’t go defensive during the 90 minutes.  The red card put us in the back foot, but that’s pretty inevitable.

If you are playing a team that isn’t putting 2 passes together and you go down to 10 men, that gives them a lift. 

if you then have to take a forward player Which is often the case, it puts you on the back foot.

We could have moved Muirhead back and brought on 3-4 players of the bench in to midfield that could have settled us without killing any forward threat. 
the fact Dundee United didn’t dominate the game after that point shows that the game was there to be won before penalties. 
After the Albion Rovers game, penalties should have been a deterrent rather than an aim 

26 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Consensus on Adeloye?  Radio sounded like he was having a cracking game, my dad at the game says he was terrible.  

He grew into the game, and was excellent after his goal. We had players up in support of him in the second half and it showed - he was very good. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

If you are playing a team that isn’t putting 2 passes together and you go down to 10 men, that gives them a lift. 

if you then have to take a forward player Which is often the case, it puts you on the back foot.

We could have moved Muirhead back and brought on 3-4 players of the bench in to midfield that could have settled us without killing any forward threat. 
the fact Dundee United didn’t dominate the game after that point shows that the game was there to be won before penalties. 
After the Albion Rovers game, penalties should have been a deterrent rather than an aim 

I’m going to take a punt here.  You’ve been in the pub all afternoon and came on here posting nonsense about a game you weren’t even at, no doubt looking for some claps from Hopkin skeptics like myself.  Unfortunately, you failed to recognise that we actually played very well today and were unfortunate not to win.  As I said before, it’s up to Hopkin to start delivering in the league as the win at Accies proved a false dawn.  But I’m not going to manufacture grievances and whinges just because I’m generally unconvinced by Hopkin - today was a good day and hopefully indicates there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He grew into the game, and was excellent after his goal. We had players up in support of him in the second half and it showed - he was very good. 

I thought he was pretty ineffectual first half but played very well second half. Definitely our best goal threat

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

don't understand why we'd go back to 3 at the back for example next time out. There's times when coaches and managers can overthink things and try to be too clever. Today worked well, let's build on it. 

Another couple of quality additions to the squad wouldn't go amiss either. 

Agree with this , last week Fjortoft cruised about at the back, basically the spare man with no work to do . It left us short elsewhere. That’s a luxury we can’t afford . Four at the back for me with two forwards . Adeloye isn’t a target man but is proving to have a cool head in the box , find him the correct partner , Harker looked like what the doctor ordered , granted only saw him in one game . What to do in centre midfield is more complex : do you sign a Trafford type to play with Murdoch and let Aero go back to CH or keep him in midfield and sign a Robbie Crawford that can tackle and move Murdoch to the flank .

19 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Much better from us today. We should really have been out of sight before the dubious penalty and sending off. A decision which was even more baffling given that no-one appealed for it. That's three very dubious penalties in three games in a row now. They say these things even out over a season so I'll be keeping score.

I thought Adeloye was fantastic, wasn't happy when Hopkin hooked him for McGinty after the sending off. I thought Maxwell was man of the match though he's so positive on the ball and always trying to drive forward. Murdoch was at it and Muirhead (as Captain - delighted at that) was his usual self.

Much Much better relative to last week. 

Hopkin has rewon some goodwill I've been giving him pelters but I saw enough today to say we're moving in the right direction. We need to see this form and passages of play in the league now.

One last thought, It was good to see that McAllister really exists. 

Adeloye definitely is getting fitter and improving. Maxwell was excellent, it's just his decision making that needs to improve a bit and I guess that's why he is on loan with us.

Muirhead was a good captain, very vocal. Although he only came on for a short period at the end, I thought McAllister was very good and I hope he gets more game time starting next week.

The only real negative for me was Afolabi who looked unfit. If we do manage to bring in another striker I can't see Afolabi getting much game time unless his fitness improves significantly.

I thought tactically we were good, and our high press worked well (until the sending off obviously). I don't think in the second half our keeper had anything to do at all until the penalty. Overall Hopkin has bought quite a lot of goodwill from the fans from that performance - if we do that in the league we will pick up a lot of points. Very different style and approach compared with McCall which will see us pick a lot more points in Jan/Feb than a McCall team ever did.

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I’m going to take a punt here.  You’ve been in the pub all afternoon and came on here posting nonsense about a game you weren’t even at, no doubt looking for some claps from Hopkin skeptics like myself.  Unfortunately, you failed to recognise that we actually played very well today and were unfortunate not to win.  As I said before, it’s up to Hopkin to start delivering in the league as the win at Accies proved a false dawn.  But I’m not going to manufacture grievances and whinges just because I’m generally unconvinced by Hopkin - today was a good day and hopefully indicates there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m stone cold sober. 

If you ignore the negatives and only look at slight positives, then you are going to accept failure. Folk get excited about 1 off results without looking at the big picture.

My issue with Hopkin is, he is either stupid or stubborn, the good will built up in some of the support will be gone next week when we return to a back 5, or Salkeld comes back in and does nothing, or he drops Hewitt for O’Conner Or Reading drops out and Maxwell is played as a full back losing any of his energy.

until we start to show improvement game by game, month by month, I’ll be critical. We have competed with Dundee United over the last 3 years. They are possibly weaker than they were in the Championship. I wasn’t expecting us to beat them 5-0 but I expected us to be competitive which they were. 
Defeat next week in Inverness would be expected, if history is anything to go by. But If we go back to performance levels of the first hour of the Arbroath game, no corner has been turned. 

We’ve barely had decent back to back performances in Hopkins time never mind results so I’m not breathing a massive sigh of relief tonight that this season is going to be ok.

7 minutes ago, North British said:

Agree with this , last week Fjortoft cruised about at the back, basically the spare man with no work to do . It left us short elsewhere. That’s a luxury we can’t afford . Four at the back for me with two forwards . Adeloye isn’t a target man but is proving to have a cool head in the box , find him the correct partner , Harker looked like what the doctor ordered , granted only saw him in one game . What to do in centre midfield is more complex : do you sign a Trafford type to play with Murdoch and let Aero go back to CH or keep him in midfield and sign a Robbie Crawford that can tackle and move Murdoch to the flank .

Someone to play with Muirhead, and allow him back to CB. 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’m stone cold sober. 

If you ignore the negatives and only look at slight positives, then you are going to accept failure. Folk get excited about 1 off results without looking at the big picture.

My issue with Hopkin is, he is either stupid or stubborn, the good will built up in some of the support will be gone next week when we return to a back 5, or Salkeld comes back in and does nothing, or he drops Hewitt for O’Conner Or Reading drops out and Maxwell is played as a full back losing any of his energy.

until we start to show improvement game by game, month by month, I’ll be critical. We have competed with Dundee United over the last 3 years. They are possibly weaker than they were in the Championship. I wasn’t expecting us to beat them 5-0 but I expected us to be competitive which they were. 
Defeat next week in Inverness would be expected, if history is anything to go by. But If we go back to performance levels of the first hour of the Arbroath game, no corner has been turned. 

We’ve barely had decent back to back performances in Hopkins time never mind results so I’m not breathing a massive sigh of relief tonight that this season is going to be ok.

Right Henry it’s way past your bed time ! Jammies on , that’s the laddie ...

2 minutes ago, North British said:

Right Henry it’s way past your bed time ! Jammies on , that’s the laddie ...

If you can’t put up A reasonable debate and have to resort to some kind of grooming fantasy about me being “wee” and putting me to bed, then I can’t engage with you 

They were positive about Ayr in the majority of the game but also very negative about Dundee United.
Dodds was an Ayr fan. 

the single items in my post were what they said, the latter part was my thoughts. 
Dundee United weren’t in the game up until the sending off and penalty, we could have brought on O’Conner or Chalmers in to midfield, taken off Adeloye or McKenzie, or even drop McKenzie in to midfield and kept some kind of momentum up.
going defensive was what has failed us several times before

Billy Dodds can’t fucking stand Ayr after we knocked him back as a teenager.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye, he's a bitter wee man. Any time he commentates on our games it's the same - you can tell he enjoys slagging us. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He was a regular at Ayr for years. He watched Ayr with “Rangers leanings” 

I think the, he hates Ayr narrative comes from the fact he always scored against us. 

He was very complimentary about the club and the ground today.