The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I’ve been really critical of the team the past 18 months and let’s face it there have been very little highs however I’m really proud of that performance today. The team were accused of having no heart and no fight last season but both were clear to see today. 

I think after today we need to stick to a 4-4-2 and get a midfielder in sharpish to allow Aero to go into defence alongside Fjortoft.

O’Connor for Hewitt and Afolabi for McKenzie is the only other changes I’d make from today.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think after today we need to stick to a 4-4-2 and get a midfielder in sharpish to allow Aero to go into defence alongside Fjortoft.

O’Connor for Hewitt and Afolabi for McKenzie is the only other changes I’d make from today.

It’s difficult, as I felt Hewitt was outstanding today. Plays the Salkeld role, but with some ability. Afolabi looks like he’s never played football before, but I’m assuming that’ll improve...

Was pleasantly surprised with how we played. Still wasn't all that great at times but there was a clear improvement on the Arbroath game. Siegrist is a very good keeper and without him that would have been comfortable.

Was nice hearing a decent atmosphere at points today, missed that. Really need Muirhead at the back with Fjortoft imo. 

Superb effort from the boys today , 4-4-2 suits us well , shape and organisation were spot on . Could and should have won that 2-0 , 3-0 . Dundee United got out of jail . We keeping getting on the wrong side of the penalty decisions . Baird picked up un ultra soft booking earlier in the game and it came back to haunt us . Only lost one in six games now and our top boy Tommi has four goals in six games . Plenty of 8/10’s all over the pitch . I genuinely think we are two players away from being sorted . A centre forward and a central midfield general and we’ll be fine this season .

Some humble pie required from some of our stay away “fans” ! Don’t expect much in the way of “I got it completely wrong” but this team deserves your support , 

28 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Very harsh on those two young boys indeed . No way can you play Afolabi in front of McKenzie on today’s viewing , big Mark was superb . Also Hewitt covered every blade . O’Conner will get his chance , but I’m thinking coming off the bench to finish tired teams off .

I think if Ayr play like this every weekend, they will get a decent league position. Played much better than they did against Arbroath. 

Only changes I would make personally are O'Connor for Hewitt and drop Muirhead into the centre back role where Jack Baird was today, play Chalmers in midfield until we get our new midfielder. 

I'd then spend the remaining transfer money on a rocket ship and send Jack Baird to the moon. 

32 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Can’t agree with you I’m afraid. Hewitt had a great game today and I’m sorry but Afolabi is no where near match fit, he struggled to break into a trot.

3 minutes ago, North British said:

Superb effort from the boys today , 4-4-2 suits us well , shape and organisation were spot on . Could and should have won that 2-0 , 3-0 . Dundee United got out of jail . We keeping getting on the wrong side of the penalty decisions . Baird picked up un ultra soft booking earlier in the game and it came back to haunt us . Only lost one in six games now and our top boy Tommi has four goals in six games . Plenty of 8/10’s all over the pitch . I genuinely think we are two players away from being sorted . A centre forward and a central midfield general and we’ll be fine this season .

Some humble pie required from some of our stay away “fans” ! Don’t expect much in the way of “I got it completely wrong” but this team deserves your support , 

From what I heard on sportsound.

Ayr were sloppy.

Subs were confusing. Maxwell off for Salkeld who “made a lot of pointless runs” 

Muirhead should have walked for an off the ball challenge 

going down to 10 men, losing a centre half with a spare in midfield, yet bringing on another for a forward was Negative, against a team that wasn’t in the game. Hopkin described it as a training game after that point. Well, manning the barricades rather than pushing on, you get what you deserve

the team may deserve support but Hopkin doesn’t 

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

442 would be decent I think, although I'm not against the 4132 that we played.  

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ayr were sloppy.

going down to 10 men, losing a centre half with a spare in midfield, yet bringing on another for a forward was Negative, against a team that wasn’t in the game. Hopkin described it as a training game after that point. Well, manning the barricades rather than pushing on, you get what you deserve

Continually playing Baird despite his constant mistakes.

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ayr were sloppy.

I’m not a Hopkin fan, but this is beyond harsh. We were excellent in the second half. 

Every single lower league team, who put in the pressing effort as we did today, would be sitting back when down to ten men. No team is continuing with two up front in that scenario. 

Maxwell shouldn’t have been taken off for Salkeld, however he may not be completely match fit. 

Literally no idea what the Muirhead thing is about, but we appear to have been utterly shafted by the referee today - nothing more. 

ETA, Baird was excellent today. Deserved criticism last week, however (as long as penalty award was nonsense, as said) nothing but solid this week. Not into criticising folk just based on reputation. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

442 would be decent I think, although I'm not against the 4132 that we played.  

This - it worked well, largely due to the driving runs/work rate of Maxwell and Hewitt on either side of Murdoch. Especially in the second half, when we actually got close to Tomi.