The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

McCall had every chance to distance himself from the job on Radio Scotland like Hughes did.....
Maybe the 2003 situation with us has stuck with him and he has learnt from experience not to rule anything out again.
If there is any unfinished business, Id say it was with us, two promotions and one relegation with Ayr versus half a season with us

In all honesty though McCall returning to Falkirk wouldn’t be the fairy tale that both parties would want it to be.

It’s a huge mess at Falkirk and he would have to undertake a bigger rebuild job than the one he did when he arrived at Ayr.

John Hughes ruled himself because he knew he had next to no chance of getting the job and saying he was interested would have only added to the embarrassment when he inevitably didn’t get the job.

I think he is too, but the fans hit his  target for season tickets, AU fund and opening game. Expecting another 500 to turn up last Saturday is a bit too much.
Have to say I was slightly disappointed with the crowd on Saturday, thought there could have been about 2,500 ayr fans there but saying that I also expected a bigger travelling support.

Wednesday I'm pretty sure is everyone's day off at the club as well , just saying......

Could do with another statement from McCall here to say he's going nowhere, think the only saving grace atm is that no newspaper has really made an article about McCall seriously possibly becoming the next Falkirk manager.

I think we better get used to these rumours every job that comes up whilst we are doing so well McCall is going to get linked with, especially Patrick if Archibald gets the boot, I would really disappointed if he left after saying that this would be his last manager gig and the way he has used loyalty and team spirit to keep the squad from last season together but this is football and we have all seen the "I'm not leaving I love the club" stuff just for a player/manager to go just days later.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

In all honesty though McCall returning to Falkirk wouldn’t be the fairy tale that both parties would want it to be.

It’s a huge mess at Falkirk and he would have to undertake a bigger rebuild job than the one he did when he arrived at Ayr.

John Hughes ruled himself because he knew he had next to no chance of getting the job and saying he was interested would have only added to the embarrassment when he inevitably didn’t get the job.

Didnt he take over at part time Ayr when you were 2nd bottom of the third tier in January ?

I cant see where you see it being a  massive difference to 2nd tier and bottom in August, McCall could've easily ruled himself out, he choose not to for what other reason other than he could be interested.

I noticed he is only 54, the comments previously that Ayr will be his last job at the age of 54 is bewildering 

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

Really beginning to think no smoke without fire here, if he goes and hope he doesn't IMO we need to go for John Henry.

If he goes then he goes. No one is bigger than this club. 

Would be interesting to see what sort of reception he got in the first meeting between the sides. Mixed I’d suspect. 

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:
3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:
If he goes then he goes. No one is bigger than this club. 
Would be interesting to see what sort of reception he got in the first meeting between the sides. Mixed I’d suspect. 

As good a reception as Garry Harkins will get on Saturday?

Expect all the Ayr players to give GGH a guard of honour on Saturday :shutup

Didnt he take over at part time Ayr when you were 2nd bottom of the third tier in January ?
I cant see where you see it being a  massive difference to 2nd tier and bottom in August, McCall could've easily ruled himself out, he choose not to for what other reason other than he could be interested.
I noticed he is only 54, the comments previously that Ayr will be his last job at the age of 54 is bewildering 

We were pretty much a basket case when he took over but the difference is McCall was pretty much handed the reigns by Cameron and allowed to get on with it. He was also backed by him to get his own players in.

I don’t see it being like that at Falkirk. The team that Hartley assembled is the team he’ll have to work with until January at least and then it’ll likely be a case of having a clear out and bringing players in to the value of what was released.

His age doesn’t really have anything to do with it imo. He might only be 54 but there’s nothing to say he won’t be here for the next few seasons anyway. He’s got a real good chance to build on his legacy at the club and be remembered as someone who transformed the club from part time yo yo club to a full time team competing up the top end of the Championship.

If he goes then I’ll thank him for all he’s done but I think it will leave a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of supporters (not unlike the Falkirk fans in 2003) and a few players that would have likely signed on for another year out of loyalty to him and his vision for the club.

As I said though, I can’t see it happening.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We were pretty much a basket case when he took over but the difference is McCall was pretty much handed the reigns by Cameron and allowed to get on with it. He was also backed by him to get his own players in.

I don’t see it being like that at Falkirk. The team that Hartley assembled is the team he’ll have to work with until January at least and then it’ll likely be a case of having a clear out and bringing players in to the value of what was released.

His age doesn’t really have anything to do with it imo. He might only be 54 but there’s nothing to say he won’t be here for the next few seasons anyway. He’s got a real good chance to build on his legacy at the club and be remembered as someone who transformed the club from part time yo yo club to a full time team competing up the top end of the Championship.

If he goes then I’ll thank him for all he’s done but I think it will leave a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of supporters (not unlike the Falkirk fans in 2003) and a few players that would have likely signed on for another year out of loyalty to him and his vision for the club.

As I said though, I can’t see it happening.

I am guessing its between the two Mc contenders (McIntyre and McCall) and if either is appointed in time, id guess a player or two maybe rushed in and the manager will have their own hand in January if we are in any danger or by chance aiming higher.  We are talking about Falkirk who have only had 3 league games in and have lacked leadership from their ex manager, 2nd bottom and part time in January in the third tier is much more to be concerned about.

I think tomorrow we will know which Mc it is tho

I am guessing its between the two Mc contenders (McIntyre and McCall) and if either is appointed in time, id guess a player or two maybe rushed in and the manager will have their own hand in January if we are in any danger or by chance aiming higher.  We are talking about Falkirk who have only had 3 league games in and have lacked leadership from their ex manager, 2nd bottom and part time in January in the third tier is much more to be concerned about.

Surely Gordon Young will be in charge on Saturday? No point announcing he was going to be interim otherwise.

7 minutes ago, MrDust said:

If McCall does get the Falkirk job then I suspect McIntyre will be the next Ayr United manager. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surely Gordon Young will be in charge on Saturday? No point announcing he was going to be interim otherwise.

Id guess the new manager will be in place for Saturday and be in the stands with Gordon Young taking the team, not really a new scenario

If McCall does get the Falkirk job then I suspect McIntyre will be the next Ayr United manager. 

Really?

I’d expect a younger manager. Mark Kerr if he didn’t go with McCall to be in the running.