The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

At any rate, we're a quarter of the way through the season. Time to re-assess the target, I think we should be aiming for top 4.

Nothing to fear in this league and some very winnable fixtures coming up. 

I have re-assessed, we're now title contenders rather than top 4 contenders.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Mental that we’re title contenders.

I don’t think I can take another title race though.

Mental but I'm taking it, I might not get another opportunity to watch us in one at this level, I thought we'd be back up to the top league within a few seasons when we left over 40 years ago, we've hardly had an opportunity since.

I think we've been fine defensively and the only time this season that we've been really exposed was the QOS game. The bottom line is that we're up against decent full time sides week in, week out and we've shown that not only can we compete but we are actually better than lots of these sides.

Every team will lose and draw a fair few games, even Ross County, but it's how we react to that and by taking at least 4 points from our next 2 matches against Thistle at Firhill and Alloa at Somerset will prove that we're firmly back on track.

I do agree that Bell seems to give us that extra assurance when he plays but I also think Adams and Rose give us something different, so much like our midfield issue, it's very difficult to assess what is actually our best pairing. 

Still, it's a good problem to have.............................

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I think we've been fine defensively and the only time this season that we've been really exposed was the QOS game. The bottom line is that we're up against decent full time sides week in, week out and we've shown that not only can we compete but we are actually better than lots of these sides.

Every team will lose and draw a fair few games, even Ross County, but it's how we react to that and by taking at least 4 points from our next 2 matches against Thistle at Firhill and Alloa at Somerset will prove that we're firmly back on track.

I do agree that Bell seems to give us that extra assurance when he plays but I also think Adams and Rose give us something different, so much like our midfield issue, it's very difficult to assess what is actually our best pairing. 

Still, it's a good problem to have.............................

The defence looked good against Alloa, Morton and then Dundee Utd.  The Queens game appeared to be a one off, but in reality we were awful in the first half against Falkirk and were probably fortunate to be only 2 down at half time.  We forgot about that due to the 2nd half turnaround.  I’d say we were more than fortunate not to be 3 or 4 down at half time yesterday.  We should be pleased with our efforts so far this season, but I do think we need to look at the defensive performances over those 6 games and ask ourselves if there are any common denominators.

Highlights from tonight, McCowan scoring from 10 yards out while a Stirling player was on his arse on the 6 yard line and having it ruled out for offside and Ayrs number 7 taking a corner and putting the flag further than the ball. 

Other than that 4 great finishes, Ayrs number 2 impressed me, Ferguson and Higgins strolled it, Doc played the full 90.