The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

I'd totally forgot about you lads, how you's doing now, do you think you'll stay up?

Who us?  Mid table mediocrity our most likley end point.  8 points clear of 2nd bottom and only one point outside the top 4 currently.

Plenty of ability in the team as you guys would know, but no depth at all.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Who us?  Mid table mediocrity our most likley end point.  8 points clear of 2nd bottom and only one point outside the top 4.

Plenty of ability in the team as you guys would know, but no depth at all.

No reason why you can't make the top 4.

3 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Smart thing for Ayr to do would be to drop the asking price for Shankland in January but make it a condition that he is loaned back to us for the remainder of the season.

I'd far rather he see' out the season as an Ayr player, then I will be happy to see him earning himself a tasty wedge in the summer,  that's the best WIN WIN IMHO.

Edited by ayrmad

Re Shankland, what about hunting all suiters and go for promotion, bit whacky I know but seeing your team succeed would be nice, both full backs were very good tonight and are learning all the time and have every chance of making it in the top league, that is unless we sell them on in January as well !!

Just now, ayrmad said:

No reason why you can't make the top 4.

We could make top 4 but I don`t think we will.  We really have no depth to speak of and I just can`t see us sustaining a high enough level. Different if we strengthen in January though I don`t think the funds are there to allow that.

Just now, ayrmad said:

I'd far rather see out the season as an Ayr player, then I will be happy to see him earning himself a tasty wedge in the summer,  that's the best WIN WIN IMHO.

As long as he sees out the season with us, who cares?  It worked a treat for St Mirren last season with Lewis Morgan.  

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

This

Queens don’t have the squad depth to get into the play offs.

I can't say I've been overly impressed with most of the teams in the league.

1 minute ago, Mgc1910 said:

As long as he sees out the season with us, who cares?  It worked a treat for St Mirren last season with Lewis Morgan.  

Aye but we ain't getting fortunes with a few months left of his contract, as well letting the boy cash in while we use him as a selling point to future signings.

I can't say I've been overly impressed with most of the teams in the league.

I must admit I was concerned in pre season that McCall might be underestimating the quality of teams in this league but both he and Kerr were right. There’s clearly a step up from League 1 but the teams aren’t massively better.

Maybe we’ve been lucky that a few teams are massively underperforming but we can only beat what’s in front of us.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I must admit I was concerned in pre season that McCall might be underestimating the quality of teams in this league but both he and Kerr were right. There’s clearly a step up from League 1 but the teams aren’t massively better.

Maybe we’ve been lucky that a few teams are massively underperforming but we can only beat what’s in front of us.

They may well be underperforming against us, then again, folk might just be underestimating us big style.

Tonight is a perfect example, how many times have we beaten Alloa comfortably without being at our best, not many that I can remember.

Edited by ayrmad

Just now, ayrmad said:

Aye but we ain't getting fortunes with a few months left of his contract, as well letting the boy cash in while we use him as a selling point to future signings.

Shankland won’t be at Ayr next season whatever happens.  Swatting away cheeky 100k bids from Dundee is one thing, but the clubs looking at Shankland now are on a different level - a bid of 3-400k in January is very possible, particularly given there is interest from a few clubs.  My hope is still that he signs a pre-contract and we keep him until after the title celebrations.

They may well be underperforming against us, then again, folk might just be underestimating us big style.

I wasn’t surprised at our fast start this season as I had a feeling the way we play would surprise teams but I thought after 3 or 4 games teams would wise up to it.

I think managers now know we’re not going away but if you constantly play the way we’re playing with high intensity then it becomes very hard to stop. Couple that with 11 players every week who are desperate to win and you’ve got a recipe for success.

1 minute ago, Mgc1910 said:

Shankland won’t be at Ayr next season whatever happens.  Swatting away cheeky 100k bids from Dundee is one thing, but the clubs looking at Shankland now are on a different level - a bid of 3-400k in January is very possible, particularly given there is interest from a few clubs.  My hope is still that he signs a pre-contract and we keep him until after the title celebrations.

We ain't getting £300k/£400k in January when we put out a figure of £250k in the summer.