The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 11/3/2018 at 22:51, D'Jaffo said:

Shankland, Murdoch, Geggan and Harvie are the only ones with more than one booking.

Shankland - 2
Murdoch - 4
Geggan - 3
Harvie - 4

2 of Harvies bookings then resulted in a second booking so I’m not sure if they count and he’s actually only on 2.

They don't count. He's served the suspensions related to those.

THOSE who felt the prospect of Ayr United winning the Championship was fanciful are now having to reconsider as Ian McCall’s side have reached another significant milestone in the season.

With a third of the fixtures played, they hold a three-point lead over Ross County and that is compelling evidence that they are in this for the duration.

Is it feasible that McCall could win back-to-back promotions and lead Ayr into the Premiership?

Veteran midfielder Mark Kerr certainly feels they are at the summit on merit having shown grit and guile in the last three matches to complement their attacking flair.

“Some people might think it’s a bit of a shock that a team coming up is top of the league, but we don’t see it that way," he said.

“We are a third of the way through the season and we’re three points clear.

“We don’t change the way we work and we all know what we need to do.

“From the beginning, 40 points was a target because that gets you safe, but we have done so well that now we want to finish as high as we can.

“United have stated to come strong and there will be times in the season when others put a run together so we just need to keep our form going and we will see where it leads us.

“Some people maybe thought I was stepping down just to take a wage but it couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I have had a new lease of life under the gaffer at Ayr and I’m really enjoying it.

“Of course, I know this can’t go on forever but I’m going to make the most of being part of a great group of young players and see where it takes us.”

Ayr had to be patient to find a way past a stifling Falkirk side desperate for points.

Kerr was involved in the move that led to Craig Moore’s winner in 52 minutes, although Bairns keeper David Mitchell looked culpable as the ball slipped past him at his right post.

He added: “It’s a compliment to us that Falkirk would line up the way they did but they have to start somewhere as they try to find a shape that works for them.

“We got our goal after a couple of good passes and then we had a bit of defending to do at the end.

“A few of the boys had a bit sickness last week – Lawrence Shankland was sick all night before the game – so it shows the spirit in the group.

“It was a great week for us as we picked up nine points from our three matches.

“We have made a great start to the second quarter of matches.”

We are now a third of the way through the season and it’s evident we are exceeding expectations, it’s been great to watch  the team and  all the players playing a vital part. Do you think we need to strengthen any areas in January and do you think we are at risk of losing anyone, Shanks will attract most attention but scouts must also be noticing the performances of others in the team.

19 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Worst thing about ayr going up would be turning Somerset into lego land stadium

Little danger of that because (a) it's not really necessary anymore and (b) the money isn't there in the first place!

Edited by Jazzar

Will be interesting to see what we do in January. Obviously the big question will be whether or not we sell Shankland (i personally think he will stay - if he leaves in January he can only go someone that meets our asking price, whereas if he stays until the end of the season you'd think he could easily be on 35+ goals and would have about 20 teams to choose from).  

From memory I think Docherty and Ferguson both have deals expiring in January so not sure what happens there. 

Edited by Hursty

Will be interesting to see what we do in January. Obviously the big question will be whether or not we sell Shankland (i personally think he will stay - if he leaves in January he can only go someone that meets our asking price, whereas if he stays until the end of the season you'd think he could easily be on 35+ goals and would have about 20 teams to choose from).  
From memory I think Docherty and Ferguson both have deals expiring in January so not sure what happens there. 
I think Ferguson will leave with Geggan, Smith, Harvey and young Finn we have plenty of cover in full backs and he's not good enough to play center half in the champ hopefully bring in another center half in for cover apart from that I can't see any other changes hope Doc gets another 6 month deal.

Let's play 'Name That Player'.  

Who is this maestro about to lose the ball to a majestic looking Steven Bell in another routine Dunfermline win at Somerset?

Image_20_jpg.jpg

ETA: The shiter the player, the better this game is imo.

Edited by AyrTroopMajor

9 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Let's play 'Name That Player'.  

Who is this maestro about to lose the ball to a majestic looking Steven Bell in another routine Dunfermline win at Somerset?

Image_20_jpg.jpg

ETA: The shiter the player, the better this game is imo.

Rocky Visconte!

He did manage to set up Tam McManus for the winner at EEP though, perhaps his sole contribution.

1 hour ago, G Dawg said:

Rocky Visconte!

He did manage to set up Tam McManus for the winner at EEP though, perhaps his sole contribution.

Correct! And yes that is jobber Junior Mendes in the background, the man who genuinely left the field to re-tape his wrists during the relegation game at Cappielow, when one goal would have at that point saved us. 

NEXT:

Image result for david dunn ayr

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Jack Ross failed to get anything out him at St Mirren so while it may financially be a good move it might not be the best footballing wise. 

I think a club might panic in January and make a move, the more he scores and the longer we stay in the title race the more valuable he'll become. 

Either a pre-contract or a straight out purchase, I think we'll know in January where he'll be next season. Even if somehow we got him on a longer deal, I still think he'd get his big move. 

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Jack Ross failed to get anything out him at St Mirren so while it may financially be a good move it might not be the best footballing wise. 

I think a club might panic in January and make a move, the more he scores and the longer we stay in the title race the more valuable he'll become. 

Either a pre-contract or a straight out purchase, I think we'll know in January where he'll be next season. Even if somehow we got him on a longer deal, I still think he'd get his big move. 

Surely Ayr have to look to sell Shankland in Jan.Get say £100,000 to £150,000 for him.Would Ayr not lose Shankland for nothing in the summer 

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Surely Ayr have to look to sell Shankland in Jan.Get say £100,000 to £150,000 for him.Would Ayr not lose Shankland for nothing in the summer 

Yes and most of us want to lose him for nowt in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Pretty sure the prize money we’d make from keeping Shankland and winning the league would equate to more than £150,000. Sell Shankland and we won’t win the league, it’s that simple.