The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, Tommi_Pavlova said:

Would anyone take a punt on David Goodwillie? Controversial obviously with all the baggage but on the Park he’s undeniably a quality striker.

NAW.

6 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Don't get me wrong, I love moffat. But he's not really delivering when teams limit the space against us. We're really struggling in these games.

Yesterday in the last 10 minutes the game broke open a wee bit and we looked a bit more threatening.

We certainly need a different option going forward if we're going to win this thing.

You might be underestimating how much we miss Kerr linking up with Shankland, Moffat & Co, while we're doing quite well without him, he's more composed and has a far wider range of passes than anyone else that plays in central midfield.

Would anyone take a punt on David Goodwillie? Controversial obviously with all the baggage but on the Park he’s undeniably a quality striker.

We don’t need another striker. Certainly not one that would bring such negative press our way.

You might be underestimating how much we miss Kerr linking up with Shankland, Moffat & Co, while we're doing quite well without him, he's more composed and has a far wider range of passes than anyone else that plays in central midfield.
I think you might be right. So when will he be back?

I think you might be right. So when will he be back?

Falkirk game hopefully

I’m guessing because of his age it’ll take him longer to recover even if the injury is a minor one.

I do think we are missing him. When teams sit in he brings a level of composure that Crawford and Murdoch don’t have.

16 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We don’t need another striker. Certainly not one that would bring such negative press our way.

The problem with Goodwilllie is less the fact he would bring negative press and more the message it sends to young fans and the women in our support. Even if he were the best player in the world, some things are more important than winning football matches.

It’s a lack of pace and quality in the wide areas that’s hurting us which is forcing us to play through the middle of teams.  I think our opponents are getting wise to that and putting 2 defenders on Shankland.  Kerr is a big miss in that context given his passing ability.  McDaid is probably our only natural winger but is a bit of an enigma.  He was brilliant against Dundee Utd, but even McCall noted that we haven’t seen that from him since the Kilmarnock game at the start of last season.   Crawford, Geggan and Forrest are good options but don’t really fix the problem.  If Forrest is out long term, then a wide man has to be the priority in January, assuming there is actually any money available.

The problem with looking for a consistent winger is that they just don’t exist at this level, because if they were consistently playing like they can at the top of their game, they’d be playing at a higher level. If McDaid played like he did at Tannadice then he’d be nowhere near Ayr.

There's no doubt we're missing both Kerr & Forrest as regards our creativity, however I'd still say we're doing pretty damn well when it's seen as a poor result only getting a draw away to Dunfermline.

The bottom line is that winning our game in hand takes us back to the top of the league and a draw sees us back level, I really don't think anyone could seriously ask or expect anything better.........

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

^100%

Consistent wingers don't exist at this level.

Mcdaid. He Seems pretty consistent to me. :-/ fantastic player in all aspects. 

Ayr do well enough without wingers tbh. Though, if a like for like player was on the opposite side of Mcdaid, it would certainly be take off. Forrest is missed. 

Any potential signings for January? I personally wouldn't change this team much tbh. Moffat is getting on a bit and I'd have another centre half. 

Edited by Roxanne's man
Ayrshire has only one team.

Ayr do well enough without wingers tbh. Though, if a like for like player was on the opposite side of Mcdaid, it would certainly be take off. Forrest is missed. 
Any potential signings for January? I personally wouldn't change this team much tbh. Moffat is getting on a bit and I'd have another centre half. 

McDaid is great, when he’s on form.

For me even last season he went missing for large parts. Started the season really well and finished it strongly but for a couple of months looked poor.

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

I’ll be satisfied with a winger (Daniel Armstrong would be very dece) and a Centre half coming in. 

I’ll be satisfied with a winger (Daniel Armstrong would be very dece) and a Centre half coming in. 

Would you rather have Armstrong or Cardle?

I’d also like us to get a centre half and potentially a number 10.

16 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I might be throwing the ambitions of Ayr united a bit far here, considering the way in which he left, though Craig Conway is coming 34 soon and would be looking to wind down his career nearer to his family in Ayrshire. 

Might be a good idea to try and get a hold of his services in either January or once Ayr are promoted (it's happening!) he suits the right winger role. Of course, a younger player would be preferred imho. Though Conway has still got a few years left. 

21 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I might be throwing the ambitions of Ayr united a bit far here, considering the way in which he left, though Craig Conway is coming 34 soon and would be looking to wind down his career nearer to his family in Ayrshire. 

Might be a good idea to try and get a hold of his services in either January or once Ayr are promoted (it's happening!) he suits the right winger role. Of course, a younger player would be preferred imho. Though Conway has still got a few years left. 

Conway is an interesting shout. I think it's unlikely given he must be on a fair wedge at Blackburn. Although I don't think he plays as much these days. Its sort of parallel to Teale, I really wanted us to sign him before he retired but never happened.

Is Cardle still up to this level? 

D'Jaffo, we need to get you back in love with the Moff! No need for another No 10! :lol:

Conway is an interesting shout. I think it's unlikely given he must be on a fair wedge at Blackburn. Although I don't think he plays as much these days. Its sort of parallel to Teale, I really wanted us to sign him before he retired but never happened.
Is Cardle still up to this level? 
D'Jaffo, we need to get you back in love with the Moff! No need for another No 10! :lol:

I think you could play a number 10 and still get Moffat in the team. Forrest is probably the closest thing we’ve got to a number 10 and is capable of playing well out wide.

I feel that we lack options though when things aren’t going our way especially when we can’t get past a defence. Whether a new wide player could make a difference to that I’m not sure.

And yes I’d say Cardle would be good enough at this level. I’d probably have him ahead of Armstrong although the latter has potential to improve.

13 hours ago, Iain said:

The problem with Goodwilllie is less the fact he would bring negative press and more the message it sends to young fans and the women in our support. Even if he were the best player in the world, some things are more important than winning football matches.

I was going to Suggest Nile Ranger, just left Southend and is currently without a club. Seems like controversy follows him as well. 

I have faith that Mccall will bring in only the best for this Ayr Squad, D'Jaffo is maybe right in his new no 10 idea, the Moff is getting on. :-/

We could strip the lesser of this League of their best players. Falkirk and Thistle, the latter is where Cardle is training, would he rather play in league one next year or the premier league? 

I also wonder if, now that Ayr is pushing for the premiership, if Lachlan Cameron will give a little extra to boost in January.

Edited by Roxanne's man

52 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would you rather have Armstrong or Cardle?

I’d also like us to get a centre half and potentially a number 10.

Probably Daniel Armstrong, get him on an 18 month contract. Joe Cardle is training with Thistle so I suspect he’ll go there.