The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Is Northern British 2 some kind of homage to the original Northern British. Or is it like some sort of reboot or version 2.0 akin to when they remade Robocop?

Either way his assessment of our squad need is more or less where I am. Ideally I'd like to do something in both full back positions tbh. However, in reality we have a lot of players who can cover those positions in the squad. So it may be a case of players out to do something there? 

We definitely need a new centre half, centre midfielder (imagine Murdoch or Dempsey were injured) and a new 10/supporting striker who can chip in with some goals. If we got those I think we could definitely make a fist of a top 4 place. 

Edited by Trogdor

9 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Honestly? I'd still play Moffat.

Who else have we had in that position in recent years?

Aaron Drinan? Cammy Smith? Jordan Preston? The absolutely amazing and astounding goal set up ability of Andre Wright!?

None of them match the Moff. However, he is getting on a bit.

January is coming up and I'd like to think Bullen has thought of that position.

Just now, Roxanne's man said:

Who else have we had in that position in recent years?

Aaron Drinan? Cammy Smith? Jordan Preston? The absolutely amazing and astounding goal set up ability of Andre Wright!?

None of them match the Moff. However, he is getting on a bit.

January is coming up and I'd like to think Bullen has thought of that position.

He's a player we have yet to adequately replace and I think he would still be a better strike partner for Dipo than the alternatives.

And Andre Wright scored a shitload of goals for me in Football Manager, so I won't have a bad word said against him.

16 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

See, I agree with this, we definitely need someone in behind Akinyemi..... However, the back of my mind keeps yelling "MOFF!!"

A Moff from 3 or 4 seasons back would be absolutely perfect but I think the reality is that had it not been for his age then he'd have been playing Hearts/ Hibs / Aberdeen standard or top end league 1 lower end English Championship as these type of players have virtually died out in recent years.

I agree though, someone with a bit of football about them and able to link up play would be perfect as Young and McKenzie just aren't capable of playing that role.

19 hours ago, North British 2 said:

If we  are genuinely going flat out for the title from our current position then I reckon we'd need six new guys : RB , LB , CH , DCM , ACM and a no 10 . Not going to happen . We blew our chance over the last two games where draws were achievable but we failed to deliver .

So I'd say our ambitions now are tempered a bit , top 4 (hopefully second) and progression in the cup . If we get three in (CH , DCM and a 10) then that target isn't impossible. They would have to be able to walk into the team and offer experience and leadership qualities. 

None of the above is in anyway a criticism of our club as huge progress has been made , but we  can no longer push on with waifs and strays signing for us in the windows. Quality is crucial moving forward . Not cheap but there it is ..

I think we're in dreamland if anyone thinks we're signing 6 players this month, considering in the summer we only signed about 7/8 i'm pretty sure.

I'd expect about 3 in the door

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

I think we're in dreamland if anyone thinks we're signing 6 players this month, considering in the summer we only signed about 7/8 i'm pretty sure.

If we can get rid of 2 or 3 then we can maybe bring in alternatives but the reality is that we do have a pretty big squad as things stand and it shouldn't be forgotten that Houston, Musonda, Kirk, Mullin and O'Connor should all be back with us over the next few weeks and when that happens the squad will actually look pretty large and pretty decent again.

If we get everyone back fit, then our starting 11 will be very strong and the bench will have cover such as McGinty, McAllister, O'Connor, JML, McAdams, Smith, Young / McKenzie, Ecrepont & Bryden.

Looking at that, I'd say the priority should be bringing in the CM / link man / creative spark in the middle type and basically go big for one guy as opposed to chucking money at more reserve types who won't necessarily be an improvement on what we already have.

The problem of course is finding that one guy who'll make a difference......

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If we can get rid of 2 or 3 then we can maybe bring in alternatives but the reality is that we do have a pretty big squad as things stand and it shouldn't be forgotten that Houston, Musonda, Kirk, Mullin and O'Connor should all be back with us over the next few weeks and when that happens the squad will actually look pretty large and pretty decent again.

If we get everyone back fit, then our starting 11 will be very strong and the bench will have cover such as McGinty, McAllister, O'Connor, JML, McAdams, Smith, Young / McKenzie, Ecrepont & Bryden.

Looking at that, I'd say the priority should be bringing in the CM / link man / creative spark in the middle type and basically go big for one guy as opposed to chucking money at more reserve types who won't necessarily be an improvement on what we already have.

The problem of course is finding that one guy who'll make a difference......

And finding one's which are currently free, available for loan or not getting enough game time at a club who are willing to rip up their contract...

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

4 for me. CB, LB,RB and CM/CAM. Still don’t think we  ever received replaced Mcinroy. Getting a more attacking midfielder gives us the option of changing things up and going 4-3-3.

4 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

A big centre back bear ( why did we no keep Muirhead ) and boy Connolly from Raith on pre contract please and the big boy McDonagh from Cove, we would score for fun and romp into the top four.

Kirk and Musonda are going to be first choice and McGinty has been largely good this season and has confirmed himself as a reliable back up, we realistically aren't going to be signing someone on a big wage who's seen as a definite first team starter to sit on the bench indefinitely.

Assuming Kirk returns to Arsenal in the Summer, then it's maybe prudent to keep our powder dry and ensure we can enlist quality starters in the Summer.

As for Muirhead, he gave us 100% and was great at penalties but he's just another McGinty for me, good cover, committed but lacking in real class with very limited distribution and being honest I really can't see that he'd improve our current side.

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Kirk and Musonda are going to be first choice and McGinty has been largely good this season and has confirmed himself as a reliable back up, we realistically aren't going to be signing someone on a big wage who's seen as a definite first team starter to sit on the bench indefinitely.

Assuming Kirk returns to Arsenal in the Summer, then it's maybe prudent to keep our powder dry and ensure we can enlist quality starters in the Summer.

As for Muirhead, he gave us 100% and was great at penalties but he's just another McGinty for me, good cover, committed but lacking in real class with very limited distribution and being honest I really can't see that he'd improve our current side.

Only thing for me is that muirhead would mean we would have another centre back and rightback cover. Definitely better players out there though 

Given our signings this season, I've a fair amount of trust in Glendinning getting what Bully wants in the window. On a wider point, we are all disappointed with the last two results but circumstances (injuries, illness, loss of form - all at the same time) seemed to have conspired against us which is what happens to most teams at this level. I'm not downbeat about it given where we were in the not too distant past. We are still on track and progress elsewhere gives me confidence that we'll be okay for a play off place at least. 

On 26/12/2022 at 00:27, Roxanne's man said:

I watched that before I watched Goodfellas. Couldn't understand how anyone found Joe Pesci a threat in the latter, if he got messed up by a kid in the first 🤔

I watched the whole of the Sopranos before I watched Goodfellas and was absolutely raging when I finally got round to it.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Looking at that, I'd say the priority should be bringing in the CM / link man / creative spark in the middle type and basically go big for one guy as opposed to chucking money at more reserve types who won't necessarily be an improvement on what we already have

So we would be talking marquee type on a decent length of contract ? Not against that at all . For me it would be a DCM with a left foot then . Let's us get Ben up the park a bit which I think Bully wants to do .

On 25/12/2022 at 17:12, WATTOO said:

Does anyone know why we don't have 3pm Boxing day fixtures on the 26th or 27th ?

It seems strange as I'm sure the crowds were always good at this time of the year when we had them in the past ??

We had a game on the 26th last year. 

Games this year were all scheduled for 24th this year because it was a Saturday, clubs then chose to move them but they chose the 23rd rather than the 26th.  

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I might sound silly throwing names about but whatever happened to Mark McNulty? Is he not a free agent?