The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

26 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I would rather have Daire than JML or Ashford.

100% but both have another year on their contracts after this season. 

It’s entirely possible that both could leave at the end of the season but I think Bullen will be happy to go into next summer needing one or two additions and then dealing with the Akinyemi situation. 

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Bit of a worrying statement there about bullens one in, one out policy 

Believe it or not we already have one of the bigger squads in the league, it's just that the majority of options outwith our best starting 11 are a drop in quality hence how we've been struggling last couple when these squad players have been called upon. 

I would be disappointed to lose Daire, he was good towards the end of last season and it would be nice to see how he contributes in an actual decent team. 

Agreed that he is our third best wide player, but I would absolutely be starting him when is is back from injury as part of a front three behind Dipo.  Even if Bullen doesn’t do that, he is one of (if not the only) player who can come on as a sub and impact a game. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

100% but both have another year on their contracts after this season. 

It’s entirely possible that both could leave at the end of the season but I think Bullen will be happy to go into next summer needing one or two additions and then dealing with the Akinyemi situation. 

If we finish top four then there's not really a case for major surgery in the summer. I'm sure Bullen wouldn't want the hassle of that anyway. 

Dipo will be an interesting one, lots of factors attached to it if he continues current form. 

Edited by UpInTheAyr

2 minutes ago, rgreig said:

Does anyone know how he was thought of at Peterhead? Looks like he had a lot of game time which is positive.

Seemd to be played all over the place, even as a striker one game i'm pretty sure i seen someone say.

Think that loan was more to get back up to match fitness from his serious injury as he wouldn't have got the necessary game time required with us the first half of the season.

I'd put him straight in to RB next weekend IMO as i don't think Houston/Musonda are going to be back for a couple of weeks yet

3 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Suppose if we're doing a one in one out option, it could go like this...

Bangala out with a midfielder coming in. 

Mcallister out with a centre half coming in.

Ecrepont out with a left back coming in. 

Smith out with a midfielder coming in.

O'Connor going out with a winger coming in.

Young going out with a striker coming in. 

Obviously it'll be a shorter list but those are the possible players who could leave/go out on loan.

There's absolutely no chance McAllister who has started the last 8 games and generally does a decent job as backup right / centre half will be leaving in January.  

This Hamilton game next week looks absolutely huge.   Home to the team 6 points adrift at the bottom who by all accounts are absolutely rotten, yet in both games against them this season we have been very lucky to get the results we have (2-2, 3-2).

First time this season I'd say we had a 'season defining' game.   

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

Arbroath scoring 25% of their seasons goal total in one game v a Dundee team with 5 clean sheets in 6 and who we didn't even remotely look like scoring against last week just about sums this league up.

Also Queens Park the only team we have pumped go clear at the top.  

I flicked between streams of both these games and I do think that if we strengthen wisely we should be able to consolidate a play-off spot. Although you would expect Dundee to be busy in the transfer window I didn't think any of the teams have built momentum. Caveat -  I didn't see Dundee before the sending off so maybe I am being slightly unfair.

I also agree with the other comments that the addition of quality is key for us and is a differentiator in this division. We have a large squad but the difference between our best players and the bulk of the squad is considerable. I'd happily get rid of Bangala and Ashford and replace with one player at the level of Chalmers or Mullin for example.

32 minutes ago, Hursty said:

There's absolutely no chance McAllister who has started the last 8 games and generally does a decent job as backup right / centre half will be leaving in January.  

Added to this he is only 21 and has clearly kicked on from last season defensively. Plenty of scope to continue improving and potentially become a decent player at this level. His aggression in the air and on the deck is something that can’t particularly be coached - his positioning at times and passing can continue to improve. 

15 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Young and JML have had decent games, their issue is mostly inconsistency.

Ashford has been pish from day dot

That’s not fair in the slightest. Ashford has had more good games this season that Mitchell-Lawson unless you’re just going to ignore the form in which he started the season. He was outstanding at home against Dundee when playing on the left as well. It’s when he lost his place in the team and then had to settle for cameo appearances that he’s struggled. 

Ashford also had plenty good games last season without scoring in them.