The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I might be forgetting someone but I think McCall started Craig McCracken in a few games at the start of his tenure. He obviously left us for Talbot and scored the goal that knocked us out the cup. 

In an ideal world we would sign a centre back on loan with a view to them signing permanently in the summer and replacing Kirk. Would give them a few months to bed in that way. 

Forget Will Smith GIF

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, running with three is just too tight and playing full backs at centre back isn't a solution

In an ideal world you have a big DCM that can fill in at CH and FB . Think that might have been the thought process with Bangal . So it's been pretty costly the fact that he doesn't seem even close to the standard .

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Before my time supporting the club but that's the timescale I was thinking of.

Strangely, It doesn't actually seem like that long ago to me but in actual fact it was nearly 30 years ago !! 

Time obviously flies when you're having fun !!

In all seriousness though, it just shows how Bosman had a terrible impact on clubs like ourselves when we could pull in £75k for a youngster who had hardly kicked a ball for us back then but nowadays £75k is almost like a Kings ransom for players at our level.

The cash received for Stevie Nicol and Gary Teale would be today's equivalent of multi millions.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Strangely, It doesn't actually seem like that long ago to me but in actual fact it was nearly 30 years ago !! 

Time obviously flies when you're having fun !!

In all seriousness though, it just shows how Bosman had a terrible impact on clubs like ourselves when we could pull in £75k for a youngster who had hardly kicked a ball for us back then but nowadays £75k is almost like a Kings ransom for players at our level.

The cash received for Stevie Nicol and Gary Teale would be today's equivalent of multi millions

£175k for Hursty was nice gravy as well .

Gregg Hood was a really decent prospect as well when he first broke through.  Pretty sure he was on the periphery of the Scotland under 21s.  Can’t really remember where it went wrong for him, but he was another who seemed to fall out with Gordon Dalziel and then sunk without trace.

51 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Gregg Hood was a really decent prospect as well when he first broke through.  Pretty sure he was on the periphery of the Scotland under 21s.  Can’t really remember where it went wrong for him, but he was another who seemed to fall out with Gordon Dalziel and then sunk without trace.

Surely Hood was before Dalziel's time? Was he not on the team under Burley?

Derek Allan was in the boys club and George Burley liked him, had to get him in to sign a pro contract as George  received a bid for him and I think it was more than 75k. He did well at Southampton until a bad knee injury scuppered him, was coaching at Morton last I heard.

Big Hoody was a great prospect schoolboy international and again from the boys club saw him play against Alan Shearer at 16 And completely dominated him., Went on to Thistle from ayr for a small fee but again a bad knee injury scuppered him

The best and other cracking centre back from the boys club was big Cally what player he was and club captain.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Surely Hood was before Dalziel's time? Was he not on the team under Burley?

He broke through under Burley.  He was part of the team that won the league under Dalziel.  I’m presuming he fell out with Dalziel, on the basis that everyone else did in the end.  

2 hours ago, Lochwood said:

Derek Allan was in the boys club and George Burley liked him, had to get him in to sign a pro contract as George  received a bid for him and I think it was more than 75k. He did well at Southampton until a bad knee injury scuppered him, was coaching at Morton last I heard.

Big Hoody was a great prospect schoolboy international and again from the boys club saw him play against Alan Shearer at 16 And completely dominated him., Went on to Thistle from ayr for a small fee but again a bad knee injury scuppered him

The best and other cracking centre back from the boys club was big Cally what player he was and club captain.

Why is your text always so damn small?! Have some consideration for those of us with declining eyesight in middle age 🤣

7 hours ago, Trogdor said:

As an aside, when was the last time we produced a centre back of our own? I genuinely cannot remember a centre back starting from the Academy. That's not a criticism btw, more of an observation.

I can genuinely only think of Michael Dunlop 😐 Willie Lyle I suppose 🤔 Those were in the Dark Days of Supporting Ayr 😒 Has to be another....

4 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I can genuinely only think of Michael Dunlop 😐 Willie Lyle I suppose 🤔 Those were in the Dark Days of Supporting Ayr 😒 Has to be another....

Mick Dunlop came through at Ayr and was free'd for a more experienced defender. He then went on to play for teams in the same league as us for most of his career, maybe even above at one point. Neil Scally was the same. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Neil Scally was the same. 

Neil Scally wasn't a bad player by any means.

My mind immediately sprung to the Campbell Money management season of 03/04, as I'm certain youth players were used more than they actually should have been.

Stuart Mcgrady, Craig Conway, Willie Lyle, Stewart Kean, Aaron Black etc. The team looked like the average age was 12.