The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Forest Green Rovers wanting to sign Logan Chalmers, that's us fucked

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/forest-green-rovers-weigh-up-25916869

It’ll come down to whether or not they want to pay Dundee Utd the money. I’ve got no doubts that if they can strike a deal then Chalmers will be off. 

Unfortunate but not surprising. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’ll come down to whether or not they want to pay Dundee Utd the money. I’ve got no doubts that if they can strike a deal then Chalmers will be off. 

That's a blow - was worried it might happen though.  The thought of going with Ashford or JML as actual first picks is a worrying one

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They're chucking cash at it and seem to be signing all players from Scotland and with Chalmers not in Dundee United's plans can't see it not happening.

Interesting if Chalmers is in the team tomorrow...

Just now, Hursty said:

That's a blow - was worried it might happen though.  The thought of going with Ashford or JML as actual first picks is a worrying one

He’s one they’d have to replace. Was in the AP they were worried he’d be away and were holding off on signing too much in case they needed to replace him. 

He’s been brilliant for us this season and it will be hard to bring someone in who can have that same impact. 

Just now, rb123! said:

They're chucking cash at it and seem to be signing all players from Scotland and with Chalmers not in Dundee United's plans can't see it not happening.

Interesting if Chalmers is in the team tomorrow...

I don’t see why he wouldn’t be. Whether he’s still here when we play Arbroath is another matter. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t see why he wouldn’t be. Whether he’s still here when we play Arbroath is another matter. 

Looks unlikely but who knows, interesting if we'd held talks/offered any from of Pre Contract, Mullin included in that too.

I suppose from Chalmers point of view and the style of player he is - a potential promotion chase, or a relegation battle for the sake of six months. He could still make a move to England in the summer but find a side that complements his style… 

He would be a bit of a luxury, unless given some sort of free role in a relegation threatened side - he is pretty shocking defensively. Not that he doesn’t work hard, he is just pretty naive/clueless defensively. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

You undid Hopkin turning Ayr veggie?

The ginger fatty took the huff because we didn’t sack our catering staff and let him bring in his own. 

I don’t know why anyone in sports would advocate professional athletes going veggie. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

The ginger fatty took the huff because we didn’t sack our catering staff and let him bring in his own. 

I don’t know why anyone in sports would advocate professional athletes going veggie. 

To be fair - there are potential benefits for certain athletes and I know some professional footballers have done it and noticed a difference - Robert Snodgrass (I think potentially vegan) being one. I’m sure Charlie Mulgrew too.

It of course was completely fucking stupid to force something on an entire team, that should have been looked at on an individualised basis. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

To be fair - there are potential benefits for certain athletes and I know some professional footballers have done it and noticed a difference - Robert Snodgrass (I think potentially vegan) being one. I’m sure Charlie Mulgrew too.

It of course was completely fucking stupid to force something on an entire team, that should have been looked at on an individualised basis. 

I’ve heard of older players doing it but I can’t help but feel it would be incredibly detrimental to younger players. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve heard of older players doing it but I can’t help but feel it would be incredibly detrimental to younger players. 

I can see where you are coming from, but as long as they were doing it with the support of a proper nutritionist I think it would be fine too tbh. It’s not exactly something I would advocate though, and a huge change in diet mid season is obviously fucking stupid. I just know there are viewpoints around it being better for professional athletes - but there will obviously be alternative views too.  

There's a difference between the club provided meals being vegan/vegetarian and demanding players to not eat meat.  The former is easy to achieve without much resistance, the latter would be near impossible to even enforce.