The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Would like to see him do it against one of the better teams in the league as he has only really shown that sort of stuff against the 2 PT teams Arbroath and Cove, be interesting what he can do up against QP if he plays

I’d imagine he will play unless one of our additions this week is a winger and even then it would be harsh to drop JML after Friday.

Only change I think we’ll see is Murdoch coming in for one of Smith or Hewitt. Praying Mullin is involved. 

With focus on now what's going to happen tomorrow and Tuesday it got me thinking about the squad. Looking at our bench on Friday, you've only got Bilham & Watret who can be essentially classed as kids who aren't part of the core senior squad yet, so with Murdoch and Musonda the only 2 out injured once they return to the team that will be a full 9 man bench.

So if we're after potentially 2 signings surely a couple of players on that bench will be leaving to accommodate space? Before Friday i thought if we get a striker in to replace Young, Bryden is a cert to go out on loan however after his performance on Friday night and that goal now i'm not sure. Everyone else from the bench played a part on Friday night apart from the 2 kids and O'Connor who maybe isn't fully fit yet and will need to start Tuesday night if Mullin is cup tied so could explain him not coming on, the glentoran rumour seems to have ended up not going anywhere. 

Is certainly an interesting one cause when we don't have any injuries we don't have a small squad by any means and if we bring an extra 2 in we're not going to keep the likes of Bryden or Bangala sitting up in the stands surely as there'll be no room for them all on the bench?

image.png

38 minutes ago, rb123! said:

With focus on now what's going to happen tomorrow and Tuesday it got me thinking about the squad. Looking at our bench on Friday, you've only got Bilham & Watret who can be essentially classed as kids who aren't part of the core senior squad yet, so with Murdoch and Musonda the only 2 out injured once they return to the team that will be a full 9 man bench.

So if we're after potentially 2 signings surely a couple of players on that bench will be leaving to accommodate space? Before Friday i thought if we get a striker in to replace Young, Bryden is a cert to go out on loan however after his performance on Friday night and that goal now i'm not sure. Everyone else from the bench played a part on Friday night apart from the 2 kids and O'Connor who maybe isn't fully fit yet and will need to start Tuesday night if Mullin is cup tied so could explain him not coming on, the glentoran rumour seems to have ended up not going anywhere. 

Is certainly an interesting one cause when we don't have any injuries we don't have a small squad by any means and if we bring an extra 2 in we're not going to keep the likes of Bryden or Bangala sitting up in the stands surely as there'll be no room for them all on the bench?

image.png

It’s highly unlikely everyone will be fit and not suspended most of the time.

58 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Quite clear Livi are looking for Ayr to pay the difference on his wages till end of season, I can’t see that being more than a few hundred a week for 14 weeks and will be around 10k, is he worth it most definitely and a clause saying he can’t play against them should both teams go forward in the cup.

Unfortunately it’s a fair bit more than that.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yes. Not going to give out the guy’s wages etc as it’s personal information but people are underestimating.

That’s interesting considering he’s a fringe player at Livingston. Really does go to show the gap in wages between Premiership and Championship. Makes you wonder how we’d do in terms of recruitment if we went up. Wage bill would be eye watering compared to now.

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Listened to a podcast with Voice of Ayr yesterday- he mentioned there had been interest in Akenyemi from two clubs down south, but they were basically chancing their arm with what was offered and were politely laughed away. No other bids expected this month. 

Always going to get a couple of clubs trying an insulting offer. Fact he still has 18 months on his contract will have put any serious suitors off.

Would imagine come the summer when he's only got 12 months left we'll get more serious offers for him.

4 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

That’s interesting considering he’s a fringe player at Livingston. Really does go to show the gap in wages between Premiership and Championship. Makes you wonder how we’d do in terms of recruitment if we went up. Wage bill would be eye watering compared to now.

Remember that when he signed he wasn’t signed as a fringe player. His wages don’t drop because he’s getting less game time.

But yes, the gulf is bigger than I thought it would be, and assume what most others would imagine, but I suppose it shouldn’t be so surprising considering the large differences in prize money, TV money etc between the leagues. For squad players at Premiership level, if we offered exactly half of their current wages, it appears that it would typically be outwith our current wage structure. Also attacking/flair players that can win games do tend to attract bigger wages in general.

People calling it extortion need to spend some time outdoors. He's a Livingston player. If they want him back because they think he can do a job in getting them European football then that's entirely their prerogative. They're not doing it out of spite, or to derail Ayr's season, or anything like that.

Likewise, I'm sure the current situation suits Mullen nicely, as he gets to play every week in a promotion push and on his full contracted salary. I'm sure he'd like for this to continue and has said as much, but given the choice of taking a large pay cut to sign permanently for Ayr I certainly wouldn't take it and I wouldn't expect it from a player. Worst case scenario for him is that he spends six months as a bit player in a much tougher league and then is free to sign with whoever he wants, be that Ayr or someone who can offer him more money in the same situation (hiya Queens Park, hiya pals).

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

So what do you think is the most likely outcome come Tuesday? 

Really couldn’t say at the moment. It would be fairly pathetic of Livi to recall him to then pay his entire wage and leave him on the bench, but you never know. If I was Mullin I would want to continue the Livi contract on full wages until summer then assess, rather than taking a large pay cut now, but no idea what his motivations are.

End of the day Livingston are a top 6 team just now and have a stadium which gets filled to 10,000 capacity 4 times a year with the ugly sisters and are getting over 5,000 Hearts fans today for example. Also have the TV deal which will be a lot more than the buttons we get from the BBC, sponsorship income will be a lot higher in the premiership and they've even got naming rights for the stadium with Tony Macaroni which will bring in a good amount of money. Have the astro too which i imagine makes an income stream through hire etc.

Small things like that between the premiership and the championship makes the difference between the two leagues considerably bigger than you think financially.

15 hours ago, AuAl said:

It's funny to look back at that first friday night game away at Queens Park in August. 

Prior to that game, the expectations were not good. I am definitely one of those who was most critical of what, at the time of the league cup group stages, seemed like a team that weren't capable of performing better than what we had seen in the previous 2 seasons.

The really good feeling around the club right now is directly traceable to the second half comeback and the way we have kicked on since that point. Now we go back there with a chance to go top in early February. 

It would be great to see us take a really healthy crowd up there and I think we will. With the way things have gone we are currently looking very good for a play off place so we can't afford to let it slip. If we can get a result at Ochilview, I'd love to see us add a few hundred more to the home gate for the games at Somerset that follow. 

the atmosphere when the players left the field at half time was as toxic as i have ever felt it. after the poor preseason and that clueless 45 minutes you could feel how despondent we all felt about another awful season fighting relegation. 

who knows what was said at half time at Ochilview but it kickstarted where we are now. the transformation was unbelievable and totally justified the pitch invasion.

53 minutes ago, Thumper said:

People calling it extortion need to spend some time outdoors. He's a Livingston player. If they want him back because they think he can do a job in getting them European football then that's entirely their prerogative. They're not doing it out of spite, or to derail Ayr's season, or anything like that.

Likewise, I'm sure the current situation suits Mullen nicely, as he gets to play every week in a promotion push and on his full contracted salary. I'm sure he'd like for this to continue and has said as much, but given the choice of taking a large pay cut to sign permanently for Ayr I certainly wouldn't take it and I wouldn't expect it from a player. Worst case scenario for him is that he spends six months as a bit player in a much tougher league and then is free to sign with whoever he wants, be that Ayr or someone who can offer him more money in the same situation (hiya Queens Park, hiya pals).

Except that Livingston aren’t recalling him to play a part for them, that’s the entire point…

They are using Mullin to attempt to get higher wages out of Ayr. 

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Except that Livingston aren’t recalling him to play a part for them, that’s the entire point…

Do we know that for sure or is that just the speculation on here? He’s got 7 goals and 4 assists in 16 league games for us which is pretty impressive. They may think he’ll bolster their squad and be a good option for them for the rest of the season given his form. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Livi lining up today with a 4/3/3 with a front three of Bradley on the right, Stephen Kelly on the left and Bruce Anderson through the middle so you never know he could play a part for them

37 minutes ago, ecocme said:

So do we reckon our top earners are roughly on £750 to £800 a week and I’m assuming Mullin is on £1500-£2000 a week a livi and Chalmers would have been the same at Dundee United.

I think the above is about correct. As others have said I think our best case scenario is Ayr uping our contributions to Mullins wages and him being allowed to play for us in the cup , with the exception of any tie against Livingston. This would still leave us some funds to get a couple in the door .

7 minutes ago, ecocme said:

Do we know that for sure or is that just the speculation on here? He’s got 7 goals and 4 assists in 16 league games for us which is pretty impressive. They may think he’ll bolster their squad and be a good option for them for the rest of the season given his form. 

Livingston have loads of very good options out wide… 

Im sure @ATLIScould inform us better though…

Edited by No_Problemo