The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I don't think it was ever intended as crudely as that but if you can say 100% that neither the family or his company have contributed to the ongoing running of the club or infrastructure, then I stand corrected. 👍

They dont need to, we've had over £1m in reserves for a long time now, last count had it over £3m.

The club was stripped bare when the Browns took over to fund our survival, and the move to McDiarmid turned us self sustainable and profitable.

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

so just give him what he wants even if it's a bit more than we thought we'd have to pay.

It’s easy to see why you spend every summer wetting your knickers when this is the mentality you have.

We did that just over 20 years ago and it nearly killed us.

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It’s easy to see why you spend every summer wetting your knickers when this is the mentality you have.

Don’t think fans realise how quickly it can go tits up if a club starts spending outwith its means. Yes we finished second and yes there is a potential windfall coming from Akinyemi however we do not have the season tickets or core fan base to justify giving in to every players demands just to try and chase the Premiership. It does not work like that. 

Our model is going to be taking calculated risks on players to try and sell and turn a profit. We aren’t taking blind gambles on guys from down South as the leg work is being put in when it comes to scouting and analysing them. We aren’t going to go out and cherry pick players like Paul McMullan or Lewis Strapp. 

The signings sp far have been a bit meh.  Mutch and Stanger were underwhelming, Murphy should have a bit about him to play decently at this level providing he stays injury free. I await the non league signings and hope we get a Tomi/Dipo type rather than Gondoh/Kenyan/Rowe etc 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The signings sp far have been a bit meh.  Mutch and Stanger were underwhelming, Murphy should have a bit about him to play decently at this level providing he stays injury free. I await the non league signings and hope we get a Tomi/Dipo type rather than Gondoh/Kenyan/Rowe etc 

Would much prefer if we had secured the likes of Strapp or Smith already 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don’t think fans realise how quickly it can go tits up if a club starts spending outwith its means. Yes we finished second and yes there is a potential windfall coming from Akinyemi however we do not have the season tickets or core fan base to justify giving in to every players demands just to try and chase the Premiership. It does not work like that. 

Our model is going to be taking calculated risks on players to try and sell and turn a profit. We aren’t taking blind gambles on guys from down South as the leg work is being put in when it comes to scouting and analysing them. We aren’t going to go out and cherry pick players like Paul McMullan or Lewis Strapp. 

We'd be as well just locking the doors and calling it quits with an attitude like that.😉

19 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I'm not for one minute suggesting we spend in the levels we were during the Barr era. 

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

What about Stanger is underwhelming? Young player who did well last season and looking capable of stepping up a league? We should be looking at more of these guys imo. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

What about Stanger is underwhelming? Young player who did well last season and looking capable of stepping up a league? We should be looking at more of these guys imo. 

Doing well for Alloa is one thing quite another doing so well in the Championship. Hopefully the lad does well but it wasnt a signing that got me excited for next season 

21 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Doing well for Alloa is one thing quite another doing so well in the Championship. Hopefully the lad does well but it wasnt a signing that got me excited for next season 

I’m excited about the ‘potential’ of stanger. He could go one way or the other but we’re not a club that buys guarantees.

The Akinyemi monocle emoji is obviously a tribute to Chris Eubank's Loadsamoney persona.

What Motherwell sold somebody for is irrelevant.

It is not only not unreasonable, but pretty much mandatory for a club to push the boat out at this level wage-wise if they want promoted. The team coming down will usually have a massive advantage (especially in the last decade when it's frequently a big-dick city club) and this is a tough league to get out of regardless of how disciplined you are.

And the English pyramid has 11 levels in it. Levels 3 and 4 are only the "lower leagues" if you get 100% of your football knowledge from Sky Sports.

27 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Plus he's a posh rugby boy, which might entice Ayr's southern suburban demographic into town.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

So you know for a fact we've spoken to all 3 of those players and they are all asking for what the club perceive as ' stupid wages'?

if we want to progress as a club we need to show a bit of ambition on the park for once and speculate to accumulate. We aren't going to get a better right back than Liam Smith so just give him what he wants even if it's a bit more than we thought we'd have to pay.

Yes let’s just pay everyone what they want and end up skint , sorry but that’s not the way the club want to be doing business I hope , so to pay Liam Smith what he wants is a stupid way to do business then the next player we want wants more than him and the club finances spiral out of control , every club has a budget and if we done business as you say give him what he wants would lead to us being unable to sign many players , can you tell me where in any of my posts that I say we have spoken to any of the players mentioned 

Edited by Finlay21