The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

There’s a balance to be had with Adeloye. He was far from pish but he also wasn’t as good as some are trying to make out. He had a gruelling job of leading the line for Ayr at a time when we were hopeless. He did that quite well at times although I still think his finishing left a lot to be desired. He could easily have had double the amount of goals he did had he taken half the chances he fluffed. I think people are taking the laziness comment to be one that is directed at him during games. It’s not as I think Bullen was trying to say he wasn’t a particularly great trainer. I think that’s part of the reason why he was dropped as Bullen couldn’t trust him to last long enough when starting. 

You should absolutely be able to criticise him without being labelled a racist though. He’s not perfect and you can find faults in his game but that doesn’t mean you are racist. However having stood on the terracing in that season it was undeniable that a few of the auld boys that stood out there didn’t like him for that reason. In fact during the league cup games you could sense that they were going down a similar route with Dipo. Think it was the Thistle game where we stayed up and Adeloye obviously played well but one of the old guys couldn’t even bring himself to praise him. Just said something about him finally deciding to try. 

The question of his return was asked in January and I was dead against it and I’m still against it although not as much as I was in January for obvious reasons. I think he’s a pure confidence player and if things aren’t going his way then you get the petulance and the whining and I don’t think you can carry players like that in this league when half the time you will be up against it. I think it’s a good move for him going to Thistle but for me he’s not better than Graham or Dowds and he’s not really a different type of player so not sure what he’ll add that they don’t already have. 

14 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

He absolutely needs a loan to get some playing time under the belt. However, it might send a message to Reading that he isn't guaranteed to play every week if he's consistently firing in 5/10s. He certainly looked alot sharper coming off the bench, so maybe it was a case of message received. 

Hes had many loans! Finn is at an age where he needs to play every week, whether that's with us or someone else, but loaning him out again is just delaying the inevitable imo

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s a balance to be had with Adeloye. He was far from pish but he also wasn’t as good as some are trying to make out. He had a gruelling job of leading the line for Ayr at a time when we were hopeless. He did that quite well at times although I still think his finishing left a lot to be desired. He could easily have had double the amount of goals he did had he taken half the chances he fluffed. I think people are taking the laziness comment to be one that is directed at him during games. It’s not as I think Bullen was trying to say he wasn’t a particularly great trainer. I think that’s part of the reason why he was dropped as Bullen couldn’t trust him to last long enough when starting. 

You should absolutely be able to criticise him without being labelled a racist though. He’s not perfect and you can find faults in his game but that doesn’t mean you are racist. However having stood on the terracing in that season it was undeniable that a few of the auld boys that stood out there didn’t like him for that reason. In fact during the league cup games you could sense that they were going down a similar route with Dipo. Think it was the Thistle game where we stayed up and Adeloye obviously played well but one of the old guys couldn’t even bring himself to praise him. Just said something about him finally deciding to try. 

The question of his return was asked in January and I was dead against it and I’m still against it although not as much as I was in January for obvious reasons. I think he’s a pure confidence player and if things aren’t going his way then you get the petulance and the whining and I don’t think you can carry players like that in this league when half the time you will be up against it. I think it’s a good move for him going to Thistle but for me he’s not better than Graham or Dowds and he’s not really a different type of player so not sure what he’ll add that they don’t already have. 

There is nothing wrong with criticising Adeloye, the problem comes when people use racist tropes to do it, whether consciously or unconsciously. I think a lot of folks are still unhappy that this happened on the club's own streaming coverage, without any apparent repercussions. That probably leads to a degree of defensiveness when he gets criticised now.

If Tomi spent less time falling over and sitting on his arse he’d be a better player.

Liked to back in to the defender then fold like a deck of cards.

Sometimes it works and you get the freekick. Mostly you lose possession and look silly.

It's sometimes nice to remember players who once graced the pitch at Somerset, good or bad. Whether they score goals, Assist in goals, prevent the opposition from scoring etc.

Tomi was a decent player in a bad team, under a clueless manager. If he had a better team, more product on the field? Who knows?

Dipo Akinyemi didn't have the best team either but proved that trying gets you places.

I think it's nice to look back on Tomi Adeloye's time fondly, HOWEVER, we haven't even seen Akheem Rose play yet. We had Akinyemi last season, who if I'm forgiven for saying, looked twice the player with less stroppiness.

One went to Swindon after their agent pissed us about, to sit on the bench or not get used, whilst the other got us a good sum of money and hopefully goes on to bigger and better things.

I know what one of the two I'd prefer to have back in Ayr colours.

Let's see what Rose can do 👍🌹

Edited by Roxanne's man

Big Tomi was decent for us , 14 goals is more than decent . His fitness , stamina and application were nowhere near the standard the manager expected.  Perhaps not the greatest example for younger players trying to make their way in the game . I liked the big man but he did fall into the Rock Star category. Anyway is Ahkeen Rose time now let’s hope this young lad can do the business . Also please be very careful about throwing claims of racism about at the least racist club in the land . That mud does stick sometimes.

52 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Big Tomi was decent for us , 14 goals is more than decent . His fitness , stamina and application were nowhere near the standard the manager expected.  Perhaps not the greatest example for younger players trying to make their way in the game . I liked the big man but he did fall into the Rock Star category. Anyway is Ahkeen Rose time now let’s hope this young lad can do the business . Also please be very careful about throwing claims of racism about at the least racist club in the land . That mud does stick sometimes.

How do you work that one out? 

5 hours ago, Iain said:

There is nothing wrong with criticising Adeloye, the problem comes when people use racist tropes to do it, whether consciously or unconsciously. I think a lot of folks are still unhappy that this happened on the club's own streaming coverage, without any apparent repercussions. That probably leads to a degree of defensiveness when he gets criticised now.

Still at a loss at to what racist tropes I used when I said I thought he was mince. Maybe others have in the past, but not me.  In the 9-10 games i saw of him that year, he scored in two (Including one game against Dunfermline where i thought he was outstanding) and generally done heehaw in the others. Maybe I missed it, but from what I saw he looked about half the player of what the write ups on here gave him. But to say that you don't rate a player is one thing, but then to say that that the person who said that must be a "closet racist" is another thing all together.  

Anyway, he left years ago. Who cares now. We've had one of the best players to play at Somerset in the last 20 years replace him, and we've got a new prospect in now in Rose who from the wee highlight reels looks like a proper find. And from what I saw against Saints it looks like we'll have a few options other than hoofball, if how Murphy and Amartey played is anything to go by. Quietly confident now about a decent season ahead. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

I along with others in our support are very carefully suggesting that our supporters engage in singing a racist song at every game we play.  That mud has and should stick.  

These are not the actions of the 'least racist club in the land'. 

How do you measure what club is the least racist? I’m pretty sure there was an incident last season or the one before where a couple of our fans were chucked out for racist shouting? That’s before you even talk about the song that gets sung at Somerset and it definitely isn’t the minority that sing it. 

Scottish football has a way to go in tackling racism and that’s not just in football. I stand by the point that you can criticise any player but please for the love of good don’t use the same tropes that are used only for black players. You aren’t fooling anybody. 

Does the word black have to be taken out every aspect of the club?  "Black and White TV"?  Could the be construed that both black and white fans are separate?  "We're black, we're white, we're fucking dynamite Super Ayr" song, has that to be binned as well?  I am not saying people don't interpret different reasons behind the song, but to label it as downright racist is wrong.  I don't really sing it, but to downright label those who do as racists is a bit nuts IMO.

Would be quite the statistic if we go 3 for 3 with forwards from down South who play in that jobber league. Considering goalscorers are like gold dust and everyone is clamouring for one you'd think the law of averages we're due a dud at some point. 

Dipo over Tomi for me easily and I think even over Shankland, possibly. Tough call. 

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

Does the word black have to be taken out every aspect of the club?  "Black and White TV"?  Could the be construed that both black and white fans are separate?  "We're black, we're white, we're fucking dynamite Super Ayr" song, has that to be binned as well?  I am not saying people don't interpret different reasons behind the song, but to label it as downright racist is wrong.  I don't really sing it, but to downright label those who do as racists is a bit nuts IMO.

There's a world of difference between referring to the colour black which is literally just a colour on the colour chart and half of the teams strip, and singing the words "black b*****ds". Whether it was a colloquial reference to hygiene in the past or not, it's a pretty loaded phrase. And for any player not up on heir Ayrshire-isms it's probably pretty disturbing to hear it. It's the sonic equivalent of throwing a banana skin on the park. The tune needs binned.