The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

It’s going to be funny when we line up next week with Bryden and McKenzie up front, and the same full backs as last season again. 

Thought McAllister was injured? Pretty sure I saw him with an ice pack on his calf. Could be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

He looked pretty bad. Saw him limping about the dugout so i doubt he'll be in shape for next week.

It’ll be interesting what Bullen does then - the new boy not starting will immediately sum up Bullen’s thought on him for the season. 

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

What does that look like in the league table?

Is that not precisely the point? That goal hid a whole lot of problems. Admittedly it did not hide them for long.

47 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Does a club like Ayr really need a Chief Executive, Manager, Head of Recruitment, Youth Academy Head and now a Technical Director?  Feels like when Management Consultants come into my own work - they breed like bunny rabbits while delivering no additional value.

The Academy is an entirely separate entity, one which is considerably more prestigious right now than the football club, so that's one down already. Obviously it needs a chief executive because it's a company and that company has to have officials. Having a dedicated member of staff for recruitment is not remotely unusual even at this level, and the club has an entire strategy based around him. And obviously there needs to be someone in the dugout making the same fucking panicky substitutions after 70 minutes every week. That leaves one. One rabbit can't breed.

47 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I did mine is Sainsburys. It was shite.

Also had very irresponsible managers who had 15 year old me signing off for deliveries to the warehouse😂.

ETA. I worked in shops after that when I left school and it was fine. Just hated that work experience.

I did my work experience at the vets at Maybole Road because I pulled a sickie on the day it was announced and so I got what was left. (Funny story: one of the other options was the picture framers near where I lived, the proprietor of which is/was one of this forum's weirdest cranks.) Not the best preparation for a career in cloud systems consultancy but at the time I'd never even been on the Internet so there wasn't a lot of that going around.

Edited by Thumper

Just now, AyrExile said:

Not sure exactly what their remit was. No doubt win the league which he did. If someone was looking for evidence he could cut it at a higher level or develop the club then maybe not

Very few teams scud this division and it's quite possible to shit your way over the line and then end up being quite a bit better in the top flight.

I agree that it would have been wild to get rid of Bullen after significantly overperforming. The less said about sacking the guy who found Akinyemi the better. But if you're not going to sack a manager for picking up lots of points, you can definitely sack him for not picking up lots of points. And if you're the head of recruitment and every third guy you recruit appears to have won a raffle in order to get a game, you're going to have to consistently find good players as well or your job is on the line too.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Strapp didn't play from January onwards due to injury. He's also overrated by a lot of Morton fans because he's a youth academy graduate and gets stuck in and overrated by opposition fans because he'd usually have a great game on TV games. He's always had weaknesses in his game that will stop him going much higher than a club like Morton in my opinion although he's a very capable mid-lower championship left back. 

Calum Waters replaced him and is a much more well rounded player for me and if anything has been an upgrade on Strapp but at the very worst has been a like for like replacement. 

Screenshot_20230806_104019_Chrome.jpg

Is Strapp not about to sign for a premier league team? The player that has replaced him has just been freed from a struggling team and played a handful of games for you. 

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Very few teams scud this division and it's quite possible to shit your way over the line and then end up being quite a bit better in the top flight.

I agree that it would have been wild to get rid of Bullen after significantly overperforming. The less said about sacking the guy who found Akinyemi the better. But if you're not going to sack a manager for picking up lots of points, you can definitely sack him for not picking up lots of points. And if you're the head of recruitment and every third guy you recruit appears to have won a raffle in order to get a game, you're going to have to consistently find good players as well or your job is on the line too.

Glendinning was sacked? 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Glendinning was sacked? 

I suppose it doesn't really help my "Ayr United have an appropriate number of executives" argument to have gotten Mathie and Glendinning confused.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d imagine it was an act of desperation throwing him on to try and salvage something.

If you read any of McGeadys interviews then you’ll see what his remit is. It’s a learning opportunity for him where he’ll get to work on several different areas of the club. 

I didn't realise that he would play that little part on the pitch. That is quite worrying then when you look at the other players we have signed. Whilst his fitness is behind both Murphy and himself are the two who should be able to step up quickly. The others are either cover for existing covered positions or speculative punts apart from maybe Rose. Need to hope a few more will come in then 

Wasn’t there but I am not surprised with the result, all the games with Morton were close last year and they have recruited well. Big strong and can play a bit, that’s where we need strengthening especially in the middle of the park, the boy Power would have been perfect, he’s the type we need a no nonsense player if we don’t get somebody we are gonna  struggle.

the new right back can’t possibly be worse than Bangala so give the boy a few games, Mcgeady don’t expect anything major from him until he gets fit, but surely he is not another McGuire.

Onwards to another physical team this week our old nemesis Inverness, won’t be pretty so wait and see if we have learned anything.

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Anyone know when the reserve league is starting up again? Could do with getting the likes of McGeady and the new boy up to speed with some games rather than throwing them in when they're unfit/lack match fitness 

McGeady will be a stand out player in the reverse league IMO. He's so slow he's nearly running backwards.

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

It was 1-1 when McGeady came on.  Bullen said in his interview that he would have taken a point, particularly given how poor we’d been.  Wouldn’t that mindset lead you to put on Paul Smith to try and tighten up the midfield a bit?  Rather than throwing on a patently unfit McGeady in act of desperation/folly?  Just more evidence of Bullen’s muddled thinking for me.

And why we’re paying someone to provide them with a learning opportunity is baffling.  He must be be the most highly paid industrial placement in Scotland.  Does a club like Ayr really need a Chief Executive, Manager, Head of Recruitment, Youth Academy Head and now a Technical Director?  Feels like when Management Consultants come into my own work - they breed like bunny rabbits while delivering no additional value.

I'm getting the impression that you don't like McGeady but it's definitely unfair to single him out especially as he only played 20 mins in a struggling team when clearly not fit. He chucked on Rose along with him who also wasn't fully match fit and had a similar impact.

The bottom line is that we were out fought and the players lost their discipline, over and above this the new RB caused panic in our own team and was largely to blame both directly and indirectly for the loss of two of the goals. At the time I actually wondered if McGeady was thrown on to give him some on pitch coaching as he was completely lost and having an utter nightmare.

As for Pendlebury, he was tidy enough and only he knows if he was fouled but if he wasn't then he has to take responsibility for his part in the equaliser. Ultimately nobody in an Ayr shirt deserved pass marks for yesterday.

Yesterday confirmed that Bryden isn't quite ready to be a starter (certainly not up top on his own), McKenzie works hard but isn't quite at the level of a starter and we've still got problems with the lack of a hard man type or box to box Midfielder full of energy.

RB is now looking like an even bigger issue. Musonda also wasn't great on his return and McGinty was pretty much his usual self where he made a couple of great blocks but ultimately handed them a needless penalty. At least Stanger looks promising.

Oh the difference a week makes.....

19 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Anyone know when the reserve league is starting up again? Could do with getting the likes of McGeady and the new boy up to speed with some games rather than throwing them in when they're unfit/lack match fitness 

12th September is our first game. Although given the league itself it only 9 games those players will need to play friendlies to get up to speed to play these.

https://spfl.co.uk/league/rl1/fixtures

https://spfl.co.uk/league/rcup/fixtures

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'm trying to be positive here. I'm needing help, my list is as follows:

It's game 1 of 36, there's a long way to go

Morton will be there or thereabouts this season wrt. promotion playoffs

🤷‍♂️

Still trying to he positive...

Murphy looks like a baller.

Bullen looked seething in the post match. Hopefully he'll have them fired up for ICT at home.

Edited by Trogdor