The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The ironic thing is that our own manager is doing post match interviews explicitly acknowledging how poor we’ve been in our first 2 proper tests of the season.  But anyone who agrees with him on here is a roaster.  I never really bought the post season talk about Bullen throwing in the towel at Ayr, but I’ve honestly never seen him look so pissed off as he has in his last 2 interviews.  He’s not stupid.  He knows we’re in real trouble.  Maybe he’s just trying to send a message to Mathie that he needs to get the finger out and sign some genuine experience and quality.  The worry is that the die is already cast. 

I don’t disagree and I think the last two games have been on the players more than Bullen. From what I’ve seen he’s trying to implement a particular style and the players aren’t following it properly. There will need to be a degree of patience as you can do as much work on shape and tactics in training but the players need to play real games to get used to it. I don’t think we’re in as much bother as people think as we’ll undoubtedly sign players but the ones we have also need to take more responsibility in games and have the confidence to stick with what Bullen wants them to do and not get drawn into doing what the opposition want us to do. 

I get Bullens disappointment today but for gods sake get one of your staff to watch the game from the stand, totally dominated from 15 minutes onwards in the middle of the park, with Smith and Dempsey totally over run, they needed an extra body to help and was obviously glaring from the stand view.

Then he takes off our biggest threat Amartey and leaves on McKenzie oh my god all you defenders of him on here,really the throw in on the far side summed him up launching a two yard pass over the wall just summed the boy up, the very basics he has not.

When I saw the team my heart sunk no Murphy so good ness knows how we got through that, simples Inverness could have played all night and still not score.

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If he try’s to defend the indefensible then his time is up. He sat in the dugout for a lot of the game today rather than out on the touch line so obviously what he wants on the pitch isn’t happening and judging by his post match comments that is the case.

So he obviously doesn’t think he can influence the game after the kick off. 

it’s week 6 of his new style and week 2 of it being abandoned mid match so he needs to make sure it sticks for 90 minutes 

A harder analysis is that the “new style” hasn’t been abandoned, it’s simply hit a brick wall as soon as it’s met the reality of two fairly average Championship teams.  Bullen seemed genuinely confused as to why the passing style of the league cup has suddenly evaporated.  I’d say it’s not that surprising when you have a forward line that’s incapable of holding the ball up and a midfield that’s incapable of retaining possession.  People give McGinty grief for punting the ball long, but it’s only because he has nobody to give it too.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t disagree and I think the last two games have been on the players more than Bullen. From what I’ve seen he’s trying to implement a particular style and the players aren’t following it properly. There will need to be a degree of patience as you can do as much work on shape and tactics in training but the players need to play real games to get used to it. I don’t think we’re in as much bother as people think as we’ll undoubtedly sign players but the ones we have also need to take more responsibility in games and have the confidence to stick with what Bullen wants them to do and not get drawn into doing what the opposition want us to do. 

If that's all true, and it could well be, why does Bullen seem to get such a hard time on here and elsewhere from a large number of the support?

More than the manager of a playoff team from last season probably should.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

If that's all true, and it could well be, why does Bullen seem to get such a hard time on here and elsewhere from a large number of the support?

Because the approach in a lot of games was largely shite last season. That shouldn’t be forgotten. 

fwiw I think the criticism was over the top but he played a significant role in our collapse in a lot of games and got the tactics wrong in our biggest game of the season. 

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Ultimately it is his job to implement the style he wants and identify the types of player he needs to play that style. Arguably we don’t have those players, yet anyway. 

First home win in 3 seasons against the hammer-throwing Highland fermers. Second win against them in 11 attempts at Ayr. Will happily take that and move on. We all know the squad needs a bit of work yet (for me, 2 new full backs, another midfielder a winger and a partner for Rose) so let's just enjoy the feeling that, right now, there are teams in a worse position than us.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Genuine roasters don’t last long on here. It’s very much ride or die 

WillieH and his like wouldn’t last long

This made me laugh.  I spent a few seasons watching games from the NT and ALWAYS about 10 mins from full time I'd hear him from the steps raging about anything  Even if we were comfortably winning 🤣 honestly suprised the guy hasnt gave himself an aneurysm yet 

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Just noticed there was 2,000 at the game today not too bad considering very few away fans, last weeks result and the cost of living crisis.

I really truly don't want to be negative about everything but that's the first home league fixture after finishing second last season and having beaten these guys in the process. That's barely over Morten's average home gates and easily in the bottom half of the division. There are an enormous number of historic mitigating circumstances here but considering the amount of effort being put into club infrastructure right now you really have to hope that the complete lack of effort in increasing home gates is deliberate until the rebuilding of the north stand.

17 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This made me laugh.  I spent a few seasons watching games from the NT and ALWAYS about 10 mins from full time I'd hear him from the steps raging about anything  Even if we were comfortably winning 🤣 honestly suprised the guy hasnt gave himself an aneurysm yet 

I loved the way he used to make eye contact with folk in a bid to somehow involve them in his rant. Like if you make eye contact you agree with him. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Because fans have eyes on their heads. Contrary to some assertions, Ayr fans are not actually any more fickle than fans of any other club. They could however see that the major difference between the fucking garbage that was 21-22 and 22-23 was a small group of players who have all now departed.

Bullen's honeymoon is over. It's his team, his selection and his tactics. I assume his attitude in post-match interviews indicates that this has gotten through to him. Good.

6 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I really truly don't want to be negative about everything but that's the first home league fixture after finishing second last season and having beaten these guys in the process. That's barely over Morten's average home gates and easily in the bottom half of the division. There are an enormous number of historic mitigating circumstances here but considering the amount of effort being put into club infrastructure right now you really have to hope that the complete lack of effort in increasing home gates is deliberate until the rebuilding of the north stand.

30 second clips on social media are the way to sell a multitude of things, posting clips of old goals online regularly could help revive a lot of lapsed fans, especially if there are regular clips of things the team are doing now, Like McGeady's input today.   

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

30 second clips on social media are the way to sell a multitude of things, posting clips of old goals online regularly could help revive a lot of lapsed fans, especially if there are regular clips of things the team are doing now, Like McGeady's input today.   

Social media works, but so does taping things to lamp posts. So did having He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named have fucking ice creams and beers named after him in the town. The high street should be owned by Ayr United and not by fat c***s in full old firm kits. The least stabby pub in the vicinity of the upper high street should not have a fucking Davie Cooper theme.