The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

If they're going to f**k about then they can f**k off.

Hopefully the club has other transfer targets.

It's Dundee utd, they'll certainly do that. Wouldn't trust them to do the right thing by us or the player. I'm sure the club know that and will have other targets but it's all about timing.

7 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Also said Murphy's injury isn't as bad as first feared so should only be a few weeks at most (famous last words)

I thought he already was only out for a few weeks - I didn’t think at any point it was more than 4-6 weeks. 

As for Chalmers, worth it to wait a couple of weeks for a permanent transfer if we think it’s quite likely - not worth it be sitting in September waiting on a loan move. 

Surely if we used a bit of money and offered Dundee United a small fee for a player who only has one year left on his contract, and offered him regular game time and decent wages then it would be very difficult for both the club and the player to say no. Also I'm fairly sure we wouldn't owe them any sort of development fee because he's now 23 so won't meet the criteria for compensation. As good as he is though I don't think he's worth paying silly money for and if Dundee United don't want to cooperate then we should just move on, and I'm sure the club will have other targets in mind.

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I thought he already was only out for a few weeks - I didn’t think at any point it was more than 4-6 weeks. 

As for Chalmers, worth it to wait a couple of weeks for a permanent transfer if we think it’s quite likely - not worth it be sitting in September waiting on a loan move. 

Ironically it's actually NOW we really need Chalmers (or similar) given that Murphy is out, when Murphy is back it kind of negates the panic of needing another top player for that position coming in, although I agree I'd happily take Chalmers assuming neither the player or United are booting the arse out of it in terms of wages and compensation.

50 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

There is now way DU will do a deal with us until after our game later in the month .

I can only see this being an issue if it's a permanent deal we're after as if it's a loan he'd be ineligible anyway. 

46 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

He's really not worth it. Time to move on.

He Absoulotely is worth waiting for if we think there is a more than likely chance of it happening. An excellent player at this level. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

We are going to miss out and be left with nothing aren’t we…

Some of our best business has been carried out late window and into September. There no doubt be a raft of releases or players available for loan/mutual terminations in the next couple of weeks. I always feel like this part of the month is a kind of dead zone with very little business being done as the Premiership sides start to decide who they are keeping (and loaning) or happy to release.  

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:

Some of our best business has been carried out late window and into September. There no doubt be a raft of releases or players available for loan/mutual terminations in the next couple of weeks. I always feel like this part of the month is a kind of dead zone with very little business being done as the Premiership sides start to decide who they are keeping (and loaning) or happy to release.  

Yeah - Bahamboula (sp) at Livingston is one who was being raved about at the start of last season, but now seems nowhere near it - could be a particularly interesting one. 

I don't have a strong position on whether Chalmers is a deal that needs to be waited out or moved on from other that to say it is the club's responsibility to get it right. If they eschew other options and ultimately miss out on Chalmers I have no interest in hearing how they 'tried' to sign him and 'didn't have time' to pivot when it didn't happen and therefore are somehow not responsible for a gap in the squad.

23 minutes ago, Iain said:

I don't have a strong position on whether Chalmers is a deal that needs to be waited out or moved on from other that to say it is the club's responsibility to get it right. If they eschew other options and ultimately miss out on Chalmers I have no interest in hearing how they 'tried' to sign him and 'didn't have time' to pivot when it didn't happen and therefore are somehow not responsible for a gap in the squad.

Aye it’s up to the club to decide what’s best and they will ultimately be judged on that. If they show patience and get him then it’ll be deemed a masterstroke however if they wait and miss out and then have to scramble for someone else then they’ll be criticised for it. 

If we don’t sign Chalmers, what would the back up option be? Most likely a loan of a player that has never played at this level or League 1 before. There doesn’t seem to be the same amount of Young, battle hardened loanees from Premier teams kicking about. Rangers release about 6 individuals in the summer that were perpetual loaners. 
I think we need to concentrate on other areas and be ready if deals for Chalmers and Strapp fall in to our laps. 

I’m surprised no one has looked at Kai Kennedy. I know he had a sticky patch at this level but he seemed to do quite well in League One last season. Would’ve thought we might have looked to sign him. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If we don’t sign Chalmers, what would the back up option be? Most likely a loan of a player that has never played at this level or League 1 before. There doesn’t seem to be the same amount of Young, battle hardened loanees from Premier teams kicking about. Rangers release about 6 individuals in the summer that were perpetual loaners. 
I think we need to concentrate on other areas and be ready if deals for Chalmers and Strapp fall in to our laps. 

I could be wrong but my impression last season was that Chalmers was a bit of a bonus as opposed to one we'd targeted.

The reason I say this is that we'd managed to get Mullin in a couple of weeks before but also had O'Connor, JML and Ashford who were all doing ok when the Chalmers deal appeared out of nowhere and while he was a welcome addition we didn't really need him at that point as our wingers / wide players were all doing pretty well and we were scoring goals and winning matches.

In fact, a quick check on last year reveals that this year so far is pretty similar in terms of signings.

Mullin arrived 30th August

Brad Young arrived 1st September

Chalmers arrived 30th September

That's as long as we get improvements in similar / better to last year of course !!!

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m surprised no one has looked at Kai Kennedy. I know he had a sticky patch at this level but he seemed to do quite well in League One last season. Would’ve thought we might have looked to sign him. 

I think the Falkirk fans thought he was kinda pish.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Mullin arrived 30th August

Brad Young arrived 1st September

Chalmers arrived 30th September

I see Brad Young was released by Villa - hopefully he finds a Midlands club so he can be near his mum and his dog.