The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I think Whites involvement has always been to assist Bullen with transitioning players from the Academy to first team.  A lot will be stepping up training and he's there to help with that.

Just now, callum-ayr said:

I think Whites involvement has always been to assist Bullen with transitioning players from the Academy to first team.  A lot will be stepping up training and he's there to help with that.

I don’t think that is his only involvement though - that would be far too narrow a role to have a part in the coaching team. For example at the start of the season(Falkirk I think) McGinty was across asking White something tactical, and wasn’t exactly happy with the response. 

10 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

How involved is he though?

We see him on match days but he’s still head of the academy so he’s not going to be involved full time through the week.

As a guess i would say he gets involved in a lot when needed. This side role is probably there to bulk up his hours at the academy so there is a full time job for him and also keep a strong link to the academy. He has a lot of experience in the game and has managed before so can cover a lot of tasks.  As a smaller full time club he is probably a very good asset to have when you need someone to step up to cover or help others 

I always saw Timmins as more of an assistant manager to Bullen when he was here. Tait seems to have taken on that role now though. 

White definitely attends training but I’m sure he’s technically part time with us and part time with the academy in terms of how he splits his time. 

He’ll likely be brought in to take charge when the inevitable happens but I wouldn’t be interested in him as anything longer term than that. 

For all the plaudits it gets, the track record of the academy in delivering players for the first team is woeful.  You have to go back a decade to Forrest and Crawford, and the only other one since then is McCowan.  Bryden has potential, but is really at a bit of a crossroads and urgently needs a solid loan spell at league 1 level.

Not sure how the academy is funded, but if it’s not producing more regularly, then I just don’t see the point.  I suppose it didn’t help that McCall barely knew it existed and pursued a strategy of spotting players falling out of the elite academies like Rose and Harvie, but maybe his judgement on the quality of players coming through wasn’t that far off the mark.

41 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Albinson can’t be blamed for that goal, it was heading for his chest until the person on the post managed to head it straight down and behind him for some reason and Albinson managed to turn it on to the post before Bryden tried to clear it and put it in.

Unless Albinson never made a shout, it was definitely a f**k up by the person on the front post. 

https://twitter.com/dundeeunitedfc/status/1733856596667621701/video/1

8 minutes ago, Nelson said:

For all the plaudits it gets, the track record of the academy in delivering players for the first team is woeful.  You have to go back a decade to Forrest and Crawford, and the only other one since then is McCowan.  Bryden has potential, but is really at a bit of a crossroads and urgently needs a solid loan spell at league 1 level.

Not sure how the academy is funded, but if it’s not producing more regularly, then I just don’t see the point.  I suppose it didn’t help that McCall barely knew it existed and pursued a strategy of spotting players falling out of the elite academies like Rose and Harvie, but maybe his judgement on the quality of players coming through wasn’t that far off the mark.

Considering as well that a big part of hiring Bullen was his history of working with young players and it’s been a bit of a disappointment. 

Obviously we’ve got the Ecreponts, Smith, Tomlinson and Bryden in the match day squads however Finns Ayr career is over, Smith was playing in a position where we had a massive injury crisis and never got a chance anyway, Ollie Ecrepont is still a boy however is playing in the hardest position there is in terms of breaking into the first eleven, I have no idea how good Tomlinson is or what position he actually plays and as you say Bryden is at a cross roads in terms of needing playing time but the club seem reluctant to get him out on loan. He isn’t quick enough so needs to bulk up a lot as strikers in this league are either bullies or rapid and at the minute he’s neither. 

Just looking at who we have signed beyond June and whoever is managing Ayr next season has a huge rebuilding job. We currently have 12 players, excluding those out on loan, and there's a few of those most of us wouldn't want starting. All the more reason the club acts decisively rather than waiting until the end of June.

Currently signed for next season:

Mutch

Ecrepont O

McGinty

Stanger

Watret

Dempsey

McGeady

Murphy

Syla

Rose

McKenzie

Guthrie

Edited by edinburghhonestman

If I wasnt depressed enough @edinburghhonestman has just stuck the boot in.

That is frightening for next season. A good number of them just aren't good enough for this level.

Major rebuild required which is why it makes sense to dispense with Bullen now. He'll not be here next season regardless and we can give the new manager time to build.

11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

We seem to loan out the youth players that are never going to break into the first time while letting the ones who actually have a chance sit on the bench wasting away.

This - the pathway from our academy to senior  team football is terrible, whether that’s with us or elsewhere. 

Also, the academy does numerous things on top of developing players and has a good role within the community so there still very much is a point even if it wasnt developing any players at all. 

This is a great initiative but I'm not sure Saturday is the game to start this. The atmosphere is not going to be great either way (morgue or toxic).

Edited by Trogdor

Just smacks of Mathie boosterism.  Really ill judged for me.  Let the players focus on doing their job and not worry about having to face a mob of half cut and potentially angry fans after the game.  Save this nonsense for another day.

7 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Just smacks of Mathie boosterism.  Really ill judged for me.  Let the players focus on doing their job and not worry about having to face a mob of half cut and potentially angry fans after the game.  Save this nonsense for another day.

It was arranged prior to the Morton game, they would look like shite bags if they cancelled it now. 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It was arranged prior to the Morton game, they would look like shite bags if they cancelled it now. 

Was it not announced on Monday (1st January)? It wouldn't have taken Nostradamus to work out the scenario we are in now is most likely. That was only 3 days ago.

Edited by Trogdor