The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Said it would be like this during the summer. I do think the board is getting restless now that the club could in all practicality be bottom by the end of the month.

The performances have been shite for as long as I can remember but the table has only really hit home today and I think that’s what will concern them. A defeat next week and we’re at the very least 9th. Can’t ignore it and hope it goes away then.

6 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Totally agree.  Only thing I would add is that if we bin him later in the month, will we be doing any transfer business in January? Or do the powers that be believe more in the squad than Bullen actually does?

That's why the decision has to be taken now. If we wait until after the Arbroath double header and the cup tie to bin him then his replacement won't have enough time to assess the squad and make the changes required. Waiting that long almost guarantees no better than 9th as I don't see two teams worse than Ayr. 

I don't think he's going anywhere. If he doesn't get binned by Monday then he's here till his contract expires.

As much as I'm sick of people saying that he's a good guy etc, I think his relationship with the board might be the only thing that's keeping him in a job. Another manager has opened his mouth about the signings he's been given or just accepted it's not working and left by mutual consent by now. He's a yes man.

How anyone can look at this side and see anything other than relegation is a mystery though. It's not like this slump happened suddenly, we've been rotten for a long time.

24 minutes ago, yorkshirepud said:

That's why the decision has to be taken now. If we wait until after the Arbroath double header and the cup tie to bin him then his replacement won't have enough time to assess the squad and make the changes required. Waiting that long almost guarantees no better than 9th as I don't see two teams worse than Ayr. 

I'm not confident in the slightest that we can beat Arbroath and QP will possibly have Davidson in as boss so that'll give them a bounce. These games are, on paper, winnable though and it's absolutely vital that we do. That's our entire season right there in those 3 games.

Because I'm then seeing 7 league games in a row that we're in all probability not taking a point from.

It is grim when we are relying on two teams being worse than us. As someone else said if this turns into another relegation fight that will have been three of the last four seasons. It is hard to define that as progress.

It also really grinds my gears that second is seen as some fantastic result last season when we got ragdolled 8-0 in the playoffs. That was humiliating not something special. A different matter entirely if you made it to the final and lost by the odd goal in stoppage time. It was on a par with 2018/19 for me when ICT comfortably dispatched us in the semis.

Our attendances are taking a hit as well. Arbroath's average attendance is higher than ours. Even looking at the ICT attendance earlier in the season. We had 1,989 brave souls attend that shame game and that was our first home league game of the season. Yesterday it was 1,826 and that was buoyed with the under 13s offer. We are going backwards at a worrying rate of knots.

We need to do the basics better both on and off the pitch. The premier league ready patter can get in the sea as well. Fat load of use that's going to be if we are relegated. 

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It is grim when we are relying on two teams being worse than us. As someone else said if this turns into another relegation fight that will have been three of the last four seasons. It is hard to define that as progress.

It also really grinds my gears that second is seen as some fantastic result last season when we got ragdolled 8-0 in the playoffs. That was humiliating not something special. A different matter entirely if you made it to the final and lost by the odd goal in stoppage time. It was on a par with 2018/19 for me when ICT comfortably dispatched us in the semis.

Our attendances are taking a hit as well. Arbroath's average attendance is higher than ours. Even looking at the ICT attendance earlier in the season. We had 1,989 brave souls attend that shame game and that was our first home league game of the season. Yesterday it was 1,826 and that was buoyed with the under 13s offer. We are going backwards at a worrying rate of knots.

We need to do the basics better both on and off the pitch. The premier league ready patter can get in the sea as well. Fat load of use that's going to be if we are relegated. 

We’ve been in a relegation fight since we got gubbed on the first day of the season.  Too many have chosen not to see that, to a point where it is probably too late to do anything about it.   Bullen should have been binned after we were trounced by Partick. Again.  On live TV.  Again.

7 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

What’s the opinion of how this season has been approached? In my opinion it’s going pretty much exactly to plan for the higher-ups (minus this terrible run). An uneventful season where we tread water until the new stand is open.

Think it was approached the same way as last season. Sign a load of randoms from England and hope for the best. You can't argue that it hasn't been reasonably successful but the inevitable moment they failed to unearth an Akinyemi/Adeloye, we were always going to be in big trouble.

I understand that Smith and Mathie like Bullen and I know he works very hard etc, but the nature of football is that sometimes you just need to change, the players need a new voice, new direction etc because its gone stale. If what we're watching right now doesn't convince Smith and Mathie that things have gone stale then I honestly don't know what will. 

9 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Who knows but you look at Morton and Airdrie, both pushing for fourth, and I don't see much quality in their squads either.

I do see a reasonably solid spine running through their teams though, which allows them to go and compete with anyone in the league.  We are absolute powder puff through the centre of defence and midfield.  Chalmers and Murphy had a bad day yesterday, but it’s at least in part because we can’t control the ball long enough to get them in the game.  

Arbroath have a major injury crisis which may be disguising where they are at the moment.  Queens Park don’t look great, but they were still able to beat an injury ravaged Dunfermline side that could easily have been 4 up after 30 minutes against us a week earlier.  We, however, have absolutely nothing to add to the team I watched yesterday, thought I would probably give Syla another go and push Dempsey further forward.  Or drop him altogether.  It’s all one really.

We need 2 or 3 solid signings and a new manager pronto, or we’re going down.

Ordinarily with Arbroath, Kelty and Arbroath again you could look at getting three wins in a row but that isnt something we have achieved in a long, long time. Stenny, St Johnstone and Alloa in the League Cup, to be exact. 

Edited by Shibuya

I think the most irritating thing is, you just know if we pull the trigger on Bullen, it will be when the window is closed and the new manager will have to deal with this rabble. Although likelihood is White for the remainder of the season. 

12 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

I’m in the Crosshill area. There’s a good number of Ayr fans in the Southside/Glasgow. If you’re ever around, you need to visit the Rose Reilly for a drink, the (un)official Glasgow Ayr United supporters club venue. 

Walk by there and it seems to be slowly turning into a decent boozer. When it first open it looked like a drinking den that would last until a tax bill landed and convert into a shawarma shop. Will give it a try in the warmer weather as it's got proper pavement drinking. Most of the other places down there are riddled with one half of the old firm.

Fate would have it that I'm in Dundee next weekend.

The fact that I'll be within easy reach of my favourite away day but I'm really not sure if I want to go should be reason enough to sack Bullen.

Ruining Arbroath away, ffs.

12 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Walk by there and it seems to be slowly turning into a decent boozer. When it first open it looked like a drinking den that would last until a tax bill landed and convert into a shawarma shop. Will give it a try in the warmer weather as it's got proper pavement drinking. Most of the other places down there are riddled with one half of the old firm.

As a regular, I think that’s hilarious that was your perception of the pub! It’s extremely well run, and owned by an Ayr fan who owns two other pubs in Glasgow. It’s rammed at the weekends, very reasonable drink prices, quite a hipster clientele but you’ve also got your old men too and football fans. We ran a bus from there for Falkirk in the cup, and if Ayr are playing on a Friday night, or Scotland are playing away and we can’t make it, we’ll be watching in there. I know there’s a few on here who are also Rab Reilly regulars. 

1 minute ago, Ayr23 said:

As a regular, I think that’s hilarious that was your perception of the pub! It’s extremely well run, and owned by an Ayr fan who owns two other pubs in Glasgow. It’s rammed at the weekends, very reasonable drink prices, quite a hipster clientele but you’ve also got your old men too and football fans. We ran a bus from there for Falkirk in the cup, and if Ayr are playing on a Friday night, or Scotland are playing away and we can’t make it, we’ll be watching in there. I know there’s a few on here who are also Rab Reilly regulars. 

AOP!

If we go into the Arbroath game with Bullen in charge, without any new signings and without any information on the loan of Young given it will be up after that game then I don’t even know what to say anymore. 

If all three of those things happen then the levels of incompetence are just wild at this point. 

We continually get told that we need to wait until the end of a window, and yet we release our singular back up LB early in the window. 

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t want it to happen of course, but part of me is interested to know the bullshit that would come out of Mathie’s mouth if we got relegated.

We are Championship Ready.

Sometimes you have to take one step backwards to go two steps forward.

When you take the emotion out of it we've still progressed as a football club.

We are United.

Edited by Trogdor

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

We are United.

This is worryingly accurate. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

We are United.

I found Graeme.