The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Please ignore Lochwood gentleman.

Stevie Aitken is an awful manager. He built a good side at Stranraer but his last couple of years at Dumbarton (especially his last one) were complete disasters. We also shouldn’t be relying on loan players. Not if we want to sustain ourselves in this league. Most of them have one eye on getting back to their parent clubs whilst you may get the odd one that is actually good but you’ve only got him for a year. Also the comment about signing centre half’s and teams out running us is just bizarre.

We've needed a centre half all season, it's bizarre that folk haven't noticed that.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

:lol::lol::lol: Thank you.

@Boghead ranter Come on up.

I'm getting a nosebleed just being back up here :bairn:bairn:bairn:bairn

Aitkenarmy.JPG.6fed01e90ea896478524b871950ddf19.JPG

^^^This is one of about only 4 fans who would welcome Stevie Aitken back at the rock. ^^^

Honestly, You (Ayr) don't want him.  Other people have already answered why.  Though, with his ego, he'll no doubt apply (and make sure the media highlight his application) if the job comes up.

image.jpg.880706849c18bd53b4f224dc4374668a.jpg

Our target was 8th. McCall got us 3rd or 4th. 2nd lowest budget in the league. That is all!

There is no way he will be sacked anyway pointless discussion.

It’s not pointless. There’s a good chance he could leave at the end of the season of his own volition.
We've needed a centre half all season, it's bizarre that folk haven't noticed that.

We’ve got the second best defensive record in the league. Our problems post November have lay further up the pitch.

I don't think Aitken is as bad as being made out here. His first season, when he was focused and enthusiastic, we had a good team and played some good football. The problem was Aitken then wanted to move on to full-time and never got his move, he wasn't focused for us and it seemed like he started to believe his own hype (which was mainly being circulated by his pals in the media). His heads gone when he left soured things and I reckon looking back he'll wish he kept a bit quieter, but I thought aside from his last season he was doing a decent enough job for us. Do I think he's suitable for Ayr United in the Championship? No, but he's not the worst manager available to you.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s not pointless. There’s a good chance he could leave at the end of the season of his own volition.

We’ve got the second best defensive record in the league. Our problems post November have lay further up the pitch.

Our problems have been all over the pitch, our midfield 4 last night were in no formation whatsoever, we've one striker, we've a hidden gem who can't stop himself from turning backwards at every opportunity, we've centre halves that can't deal with high lumps up the park,they literally shite it when that happens, we've been rank for most of the last 6 months, a bit early to be running out of steam IMO, staying up next season will be the biggest achievement for a while as this team needs cleared out and that won't happen.

Our problems have been all over the pitch, our midfield 4 last night were in no formation whatsoever, we've one striker, we've a hidden gem who can't stop himself from turning backwards at every opportunity, we've centre halves that can't deal with high lumps up the park,they literally shite it when that happens, we've been rank for most of the last 6 months, a bit early to be running out of steam IMO, staying up next season will be the biggest achievement for a while as this team needs cleared out and that won't happen.
Who's the hidden gem? Is it the best kept secret in Scottish football?

I don’t disagree with that but I think we’ve had bigger problems than our back 4.

The problems started when we struggled to break teams down. That comes from a lack of creativity in the midfield in particular the wide areas. Crawford started well there but for whatever reason regressed to a point where he was being written off as shite again. Playing Murdoch and Kerr in midfield kept things ticking over but neither of them are going to create goals. That left Forrest, McDaid and McGuffie. 3 very inconsistent players 1 of which got injured just as he was coming in to a bit of form.

There’s been a real lack of a creative spark in our team this season from around November onwards. McCall clearly tried to rectify this by attempting to sign Erskine, Wright or Scougall but ultimately had to settle for Cadden and Miller neither of which is really what we needed.

If we had started in this form folk would have called for McCall to go long ago... 

That’s all “ifs and buts” though. Similarly if we hadn’t gone up last season folk would’ve called for him to go.

The fact is we started the season brilliantly and McCall should take a lot of credit for that. The run from December onwards has been poor and hard to watch but we’ve still exceeded our goal. My concern lies with next season and his ability to rebuild a team that will need some surgery.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

That’s all “ifs and buts” though. Similarly if we hadn’t gone up last season folk would’ve called for him to go.

The fact is we started the season brilliantly and McCall should take a lot of credit for that. The run from December onwards has been poor and hard to watch but we’ve still exceeded our goal. My concern lies with next season and his ability to rebuild a team that will need some surgery.

This has been going on since the beginning of November, Shankland hasn't been near his best since his injury but he's still managed to get himself into good goalscoring positions, nobody else has came close to filling his boots.

If "aye but" is any size of argument being made, it can be dismissed pretty much off hand.

However, I can easily see why supporters would see the team's performances over more than half a season as being somewhat important to whether a manager should be staying on beyond the summer. Certainly I'd have serious reservations about a Morton manager having the same sort of form over that length of time, added to losing to Talbot in the cup for good measure.

12 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

This has been going on since the beginning of November, Shankland hasn't been near his best since his injury but he's still managed to get himself into good goalscoring positions, nobody else has came close to filling his boots.

We've not had anyone else though. Moore has been injured, Moffat can't and isn't playing that type of role nowadays and Miller is NEVER a Centre forward.

I do agree that even an injured Shankland has better movement and touch than those around him and unfortunately the whole team seem to have lost the plot / the ability to play football at exactly the same time.

Would it have been worth giving the likes of James Hilton a run out ??

The sad part of all this is that our recent performances are pretty much how I expected the whole season to go before a ball was kicked. Basically the team hanging on each week hoping we could sneak a draw or somehow fluke a narrow victory with a backs to the wall performance.

It's just so strange how these same players can go from their form in the first few months to their form now.

Where's Mulder & Scully when you need them................

note: We could do with a Fox in the Box (I'll get my jacket).

3 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

If "aye but" is any size of argument being made, it can be dismissed pretty much off hand.

However, I can easily see why supporters would see the team's performances over more than half a season as being somewhat important to whether a manager should be staying on beyond the summer. Certainly I'd have serious reservations about a Morton manager having the same sort of form over that length of time, added to losing to Talbot in the cup for good measure.

It’s his arrogance and stubbornness that has fueled my dislike for him. Blaming the ground staff for pitch conditions, fans for home atmosphere etc. When in fact it’s been his inability to adapt to suspensions and injuries with changes of formation suit the players we have rather than trying to for square pegs in round holes I.e his continuous fascination of playing players out of position.  Not just players, but our best players. Also his reluctance to use youth players who are dying to play and it’s a now or never scenario for them.

34 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

If we had started in this form folk would have called for McCall to go long ago... 

If our good results had been spread out over the course of the season and we found ourselves in third place with 2 games to go then everyone would be singing his praises. The fact that they all came in one burst at the beginning of the season is obviously frustrating, and we really have been shite this calendar year, but I think anyone calling for his head as we’re about to go into the play-offs is absolutely fucking mental.

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We've not had anyone else though. Moore has been injured, Moffat can't and isn't playing that type of role nowadays and Miller is NEVER a Centre forward.

I do agree that even an injured Shankland has better movement and touch than those around him and unfortunately the whole team seem to have lost the plot / the ability to play football at exactly the same time.

Would it have been worth giving the likes of James Hilton a run out ??

Moore isn't and never will be a Championship striker, the fact that we dropped an in form Moffat for him earlier in the season just shows that McCall has a streak in him that puts fans off.

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

It’s his arrogance and stubbornness that has fueled my dislike for him. Blaming the ground staff for pitch conditions, fans for home atmosphere etc. When in fact it’s been his inability to adapt to suspensions and injuries with changes of formation suit the players we have rather than trying to for square pegs in round holes I.e his continuous fascination of playing players out of position.  Not just players, but our best players. Also his reluctance to use youth players who are dying to play and it’s a now or never scenario for them.

If there is one thing i do agree with McCall is that our surface is one of the worst in the league, the amount of bobbles it takes when anyone makes a 5 yard pass is awful.