The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, patbutcher45 said:

I believe Graeme Mathie’s iron fist will be to Ayr’s detriment once again. Apparently his firm stance on a complete no of potential managers bringing in their own back room team has seen potential managers take our offer with a pinch of salt. We can see how this was linked to Bullen’s downfall with not having coaches of his choosing. Is this a case for ‘jobs for the boys’. Some of the backroom team have been involved with the club for a long time and been part of shambolic ayr united teams. I feel this is holding us back and showing the amateur feel that still lingers at Somerset. Surely if we are to progress on the park then the proper back room structure needs to be in place and not holding on to people just because they are local and been there a long time. 

You're talking out your hole

Bullen never needed to appoint an assistant, he was happy with what he had around him with White & Tait. The replacment for Timmins was well known to Bullen, surely he had a say in that?  https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/new-ayr-united-goalkeeper-coach-30548201

I'm intrigued to where we're going next, I liked the idea of Tam Courts, I feel we're going for the exotic and circus option of Scott Brown. I just want to stay in this league please

Edited by diege

2 minutes ago, diege said:

You're talking out your hole

Bullen never needed to appoint an assistant, he was happy with what he had around him with White & Tait. The replacment for Timmins was well known to Bullen, surely he had a say in that?  https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/new-ayr-united-goalkeeper-coach-30548201

I'm intrigued to where we're going next, I liked the idea of Tam Courts, I feel we're going for the exotic and circus option of Scott Brown. I just want to stay in this league please

White, Tait etc have all gave brilliant service to ayr in a number of roles but are they going to be the people to take us to the next level. Still think they have their role to play in the academy etc

4 minutes ago, patbutcher45 said:

White, Tait etc have all gave brilliant service to ayr in a number of roles but are they going to be the people to take us to the next level. Still think they have their role to play in the academy etc

Your point was Mathie has an iron fist and was firm on not allowing the coach bringing their own staff in. Load of bollocks

If the manager doesnt want these guys about, they wont be about

Edited by diege

Sorry to intrude...

You seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place:

An experienced manager type will want his cronies as part of his backroom staff and first and last refusal on transfers - usually a good few.

An inexperienced coach will be more likely to agree to work in your system, but probanly won't have the experience of digging you out of your situation, and may not have the skills to work with your player type.

Also, without being (too) cheeky, you seem to take a LOT of what you're told by the club as gospel. Could it be that Bullen was simply following the company line with regards to assistance and transfer policy, and that's why they were so keen to keep him? It does seem as though your hitting brick walls, which could be due to the owner not budging in his ideas - he might be happy to take the hit of relegation if it means sticking to his principles and 'philosophy'.

Anyway, good luck, hope you get something sorted soon - love popping down on the train for a good all-day session (and 3 points)!

10 minutes ago, baba douche said:

Sorry to intrude...

An experienced manager type will want his cronies as part of his backroom staff and first and last refusal on transfers - usually a good few.

An inexperienced coach will be more likely to agree to work in your system, but probanly won't have the experience of digging you out of your situation, and may not have the skills to work with your player type.

Also, without being (too) cheeky, you seem to take a LOT of what you're told by the club as gospel. Could it be that Bullen was simply following the company line with regards to assistance and transfer policy, and that's why they were so keen to keep him? It does seem as though your hitting brick walls, which could be due to the owner not budging in his ideas - he might be happy to take the hit of relegation if it means sticking to his principles and 'philosophy'.

Anyway, good luck, hope you get something sorted soon - love popping down on the train for a good all-day session (and 3 points)!

I think they want a yes man to rub smith and mathies massive egos

It’s hard to define just how important to us it is for White to get off to a good start today. 

Given our fixture list thereafter the next two league games are huge, and given the lack of updates it seems White will be in charge for them. 

I’m not as hopeful this time, unfortunately. I don’t think we have the players to set up to be hard to beat, which is what White has attempted to do on the previous two occasions. We need to get at teams. 

Given we will be playing a lower league side, an injury hit Arbroath side and then a Davidson side who will be looking to sit and be organised, it’ll also negate any attempts by us to do it. 

Sacking the board is a rather extreme reaction.

Smith has done more work around Somerset Park than any Chairman in my lifetime. He is puting his money where his mouth is. He's made a big difference to the professionalism of the football club.

My only minor criticism is that he doesn't take any form of critique well. He needs to get better at dealing with it as in football it comes with the territory. That will improve.

I have no concerns that he will sell the club to a shyster or try to sell Somerset Park out from under the club. We're in safe hands. He also recognised he was too invested as a fan to run the day to day and football operation so brought in Mathie.

Edit - Hopefully he'll get better at appointing managers/head coaches. 🤞

Edited by Trogdor

14 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I think you can question Mathie with the recruitment but you can’t really question Smith. He brought Mathie in as he struggled making football decisions previously and has developed the club beyond anyone’s expectations 

Correct but smith is mathies boss. So is he happy with it all 

17 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I think you can question Mathie with the recruitment but you can’t really question Smith. He brought Mathie in as he struggled making football decisions previously and has developed the club beyond anyone’s expectations 

Not sure this stands up to scrutiny outwith the things that have been and are being physically constructed.

ALL the focus needs to be placed on survival in this league this season.

Without that, just look at the dogs dinner that has been Falkirk - absolutely everything set up for a quick return, and what is it now - year 5?

Relegation would be a disaster for us and set everything back years.

We need a saviour, we can worry about visionary at a later date.

We are in a runaway train to the seaside leagues at present.

1 hour ago, baba douche said:

Sorry to intrude...

None of us will know but I think this is a possibility and there’s a lot of people naively assuming it isn’t the case.

Just now, AUFC 1910 said:

ALL the focus needs to be placed on survival in this league this season.

Without that, just look at the dogs dinner that has been Falkirk - absolutely everything set up for a quick return, and what is it now - year 5?

Relegation would be a disaster for us and set everything back years.

We need a saviour, we can worry about visionary at a later date.

We are in a runaway train to the seaside leagues at present.

💯 

I think the problem will some of the Mathie dissatisfaction is we don't know exactly how much recruit is down to just him. 

I always thought the MD would just handle the legal and financial side of things?  Scouts should identify potential players but that the final decision on whether or not to try and sign should be down to the coaching team.  

Part of the problem is that because it's not completely clear what the process is, people fill in the blanks themselves and perhaps come to the wrong conclusions. 

12 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Thanks for that.

I don't think that's too bad then.

I think that is workable then even for a more experienced manager rather than head coach.

If a manager/coach asks for a right back say is it not a reasonable request that we can get one from Scotland? The style of play from the lower english leagues is totally different from up here. How does the split in our squad of local players to unknown signings moving away from home compare to other league sides. Cant think of many teams in our league with this strategy and it's risky as many don't settle.

It's fine to say they get the final nod but from the outside looking in it's a far cry from the type of signings they are probably used to making. Some managers will already have views on where the best places to target and view this as not really being their own team. FWIW i think scottish football has it's own unique style and teams do better with local players rather than trying to unearth a nugget from elsewhere 

31 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Mathie will quite rightly get most of the criticism for the footballing side of things however Smith isn’t exempt. At the end of the day he is Mathie boss and is paying his wages. If he isn’t happy with his performance he should be addressing this.

There is no doubt Smiths construction work off the park has been great and has pushed the club forward in that respect. There has been non Ayr United fans asking about the hub and the new stand. However he has proven himself to be quite thin skinned (Cammy Smith situation & Itzdrk getting Dmed after being critical of club). It seems there is a narrative at the club atm whereby if you criticise the club on any level you’re against them. That’s a culture that’s been created by Mathie and Smith and really needs changed. Mathie has been at Hibs and you’d think he’d be use to criticism on a bigger scale than what’s ever been received at Ayr United.