The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Musondas entire reason for being in the team today seemed to be too win headers from long balls. That's grim.

Dunfermline just played the ball round the back of both FBs constantly and we made it easy for them.

I've got faith that Brown can turn this around in the long run but I'm not that confident we can stay up. We've got rid of players who weren't good enough and replaced them with other players that aren't good enough.

The number of times today our midfield had a chance to play it forward but stopped, turned back and passed it to McGinty to punt was unreal. Shitebag football.

Surely the reason for Musonda playing is that there wasn’t anyone else able to start?

We did that with Musonda on Tuesday too - Brown so far seems to have us playing different styles - at times we are more direct and at times look to play. I don’t mind that tbh - it was just woeful today and basically every single player was well off it. 

2 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Forrest, McCowan and Crawford were good enough at 19. 

Each of them were miles better than Bryden technically at that age tbh - we didn’t see anything of McCowan at 19 though. 

We don’t seem to be bringing through young players that look particularly good technically right now, so far most look very raw and can offer something in terms of energy and driving runs at times but that’s about it. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Each of them were miles better than Bryden technically at that age tbh - we didn’t see anything of McCowan at 19 though. 

We don’t seem to be bringing through young players that look particularly good technically right now, so far most look very raw and can offer something in terms of energy and driving runs at times but that’s about it. 

We were playing at a lower level and they were thrown in and played regularly. 
Bryden needs games. Rose has scored a few at Hamilton and I’d prefer Bryden was out on loan learning his trade 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely the reason for Musonda playing is that there wasn’t anyone else able to start?

We did that with Musonda on Tuesday too - Brown so far seems to have us playing different styles - at times we are more direct and at times look to play. I don’t mind that tbh - it was just woeful today and basically every single player was well off it. 

The players Brown has to choose from just now are never going to get results consistently. The Bullen legacy is there to see. The fact we had to play Musonda there is a joke.

Everyone knows we've needed full back cover all season. For it to get to this stage and still not be sorted is criminal.

29 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Forrest, McCowan and Crawford were good enough at 19. 

Not really though. 

Forrest was a ridiculous talent at 16. I’m convinced we won’t produce a player that good at that age again. It was utterly bizarre that some fans didn’t appreciate him until his last season. 

McCowan was nowhere to be seen at 19. In fact he was in his early 20s when he was actually used and made a name for himself. Crawford as well was totally lost at that age and didn’t really step up until his early 20s plus he has the caveat of playing at a lower level. 

Fans are more critical of a clubs young players because they’d rather the club went and spent money on someone rather than actually try and work with their own guys. Forrest and Crawford were hounded for years at Ayr and McKenzie and Bryden are getting the same treatment. 

29 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Paul Smith looks like he has actual technical ability but nothing else. Can’t tackle, can’t press and is too easily shoved about. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have a decent career at an Annan or Stranraer but I think most fans have accepted he won’t be good enough in this league.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Paul Smith looks like he has actual technical ability but nothing else. Can’t tackle, can’t press and is too easily shoved about. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have a decent career at an Annan or Stranraer but I think most fans have accepted he won’t be good enough in this league.

Yeah, he might be good enough for this level in time but he needs to drop down. You see in flashes what he can do, but nothing remotely consistent enough. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not really though. 

Forrest was a ridiculous talent at 16. I’m convinced we won’t produce a player that good at that age again. It was utterly bizarre that some fans didn’t appreciate him until his last season. 

McCowan was nowhere to be seen at 19. In fact he was in his early 20s when he was actually used and made a name for himself. Crawford as well was totally lost at that age and didn’t really step up until his early 20s plus he has the caveat of playing at a lower level. 

Fans are more critical of a clubs young players because they’d rather the club went and spent money on someone rather than actually try and work with their own guys. Forrest and Crawford were hounded for years at Ayr and McKenzie and Bryden are getting the same treatment. 

Whilst Forrest had undoubted ability he was very lightweight and got pushed out of games easily. He also had continual injury problems until a certain age which restricted him kicking on. Fairly sure Crawford was outstanding for a season and might have been Brydens age at the time, After coming back from trials he was poor for a long while before upping his game again. 

Whilst Crawford,  Forrest and McCowan had mixed spells i always thought they had the potential to be good. Don't currently see that with Bryden and McKenzie at all. Possibly Bryden could kick on to be a decent finisher if he dropped down a level, got a run of games and built up some confidence   

50 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Dunfermline just played the ball round the back of both FBs constantly and we made it easy for for them.

The number of times today our midfield had a chance to play it forward but stopped

Dunfermline were absolutely gash , but seemed to challenge and  anticipate the ball more than us. We looked to get into formation quickly and then stop while the keeper passed it around the 18 yard box and invite pressure. Once in position, there was zero movement to create spaces and Dunfermline didn't need to do much other than wait for our mistakes. I would say lessons to be learned, but that is schoolboy stuff. 

I’m not worried yet, I think Brown has shown that he’s a capable coach in his short time at the club and has proved more than Bullen did in 2 years. 
My concern is that he is trying to spin too many plates at the moment. He needs to focus on putting the best team out and focus on development once we are safe. Get consistency. 

Gaining safety allows us to build for next season. this season is, at best going to end scraping the promotion play-offs currently. We need consistency before anything else. 

Yeah not at panic stations yet, even though today was horrendous dung. If we're like that next game after the break then I'll start to panic. 

First thing that needs fixing is leaking goals. Bordering on criminal how many goals we concede a game. I don't see how we stay up if that's not corrected. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s 19. What are your expectations of him right now? 

At ninteen there should be a bit of ability, listen would be great to see him do well but cant see  a player there.

17 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’m not worried yet, I think Brown has shown that he’s a capable coach in his short time at the club and has proved more than Bullen did in 2 years. 
My concern is that he is trying to spin too many plates at the moment. He needs to focus on putting the best team out and focus on development once we are safe. Get consistency. 

☝️this. 

He clearly has superior knowledge of formations and tactics from his playing days and is trying to distribute that knowledge as quick as he can, but our squad skillset isn't quite up there. I wasn't concerned about relegation last week but next week we could be 2nd bottom before the Inverness game in 2 weeks.

10 minutes ago, Only me... said:

Personally, I'm shitting myself.

Massive reality check today but no reason to start panicking. First time under Brown where it looked like we didn't have a plan or look cohesive as a unit, marginally better in the second but still nowhere near good enough. I said we should be looking at 9 points from 12 in March and there's no reason we can't do that. That would see us on 41 points, pick up a few more in April and we should be fine.

Hopefully going forward Stanger will come back in for Sanders and the Musonda experiment ends, although that's dependent on McGinley being decent. Hopefully he can get some minutes with the reserves between now and the Inverness game.

It’s maybe a problem with online forums but there is a middle ground between we are shite after 6 games under Brown or we are amazing. It’s not a cult. It is possible to say we are good or bad week to week without it being a conspiracy or anyone is right or wrong. Saying we were bad today isn’t nailing your colours to a mast saying Brown must go as much as saying beating Thistle wasn’t proof that Brown going to lead us to the Champions league. 

we now need to win against Inverness, which is much less of a “must win” game for them after todays results. We have two weeks to get players back and two weeks to not f**k this up. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

Think the fact the same squad of players can go from their performance on Tuesday night to that today speaks volumes.

Also Brown seems to have done an uno reverse on Bullen with us now being better at home than on the road i would say so far under Brown. 

We were extremely fortunate to win at Airdrie a fortnight ago as we were poor for large periods of that game too IMO

It's going down the wire folks as this league has gone full blown mental heading into the last quarter with literally anyone beating anyone else. (As last night showed)

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It’s maybe a problem with online forums but there is a middle ground between we are shite after 6 games under Brown or we are amazing. It’s not a cult. It is possible to say we are good or bad week to week without it being a conspiracy or anyone is right or wrong. Saying we were bad today isn’t nailing your colours to a mast saying Brown must go as much as saying beating Thistle wasn’t proof that Brown going to lead us to the Champions league. 

I think we've got the right coach, he's just got to keep trying to squeeze everything he can out of a squad of shit players. He's not going to make us a good team with this lot but we've generally had a bit more about us in terms of commitment and organisation before today.

We just need to do enough to stay up and start the rebuild.

2 hours ago, Rb123 said:

Think the fact the same squad of players can go from their performance on Tuesday night to that today speaks volumes.

They actually looked knackered. There's no other logical reason for Dunfermline to look that much sharper than us.

Edited by UpInTheAyr