The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Ayr United will bid to arm Scott Brown with the tools for a Championship surge next season.

The Honest Men are working hard on doing their summer business early. Board chiefs say that landing Brown’s top targets is an ongoing priority ahead of the return for pre-season. Ayr are in the mix to land out of contract Morton striker, George Oakley, who also has offers to stay at Cappielow and interest from Partick Thistle. Ayr remain in talks with a clutch of their own out of contract stars as plans for the upcoming season are formulated.

Managing director, Graeme Mathie, told the Ayrshire Post: “We have good offers out to a number of players. A lot of hard work is going on to ensure the squad will take shape early.”

Mathie hopes a busy summer both on and off the park will boost “positive early numbers" of season ticket sales, adding: "More than 700 have been bought so far and hopefully we can keep the momentum going." United plan to open their newly completed north stand at a friendly being finalised for early in July.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-looking-press-summer-32800854

22 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

he's scored 13 goals this season then 10 the prior, say what you want but thats better then what McKenzie has done

Sure all comps changes things but league goals are obviously the main thing and he was 9 & 6.  It's really not ideal unless we have something else up our sleeve.  

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Think you’d be surprised with what resources we have. 

Massive resources, so long as we're not expecting anyone to move from Fife. Can't compete on those guys.

Think context is important around Oakley. Only scored 9 in the league last year but swept Morton's player of the year awards and missed most of the final 3rd of the season through injury. 

Our interest in him would indicate to me that Dowds is away (though I hope that's not the case). If we're looking at Dowds replacements as a target man style forward we could definitely do alot worse than Oakley. Championship experience and always looked a physical handful to me when we played them. 

1 hour ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Agreed. For some reason they seem to have delusions that they’re owned by Qatar or something.

Pretty daft to push that rubbish about a fan owned club.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

8bfa2c735b86c439e130389745a7a64dbc7d055f

f829bed61f75627eea111dfde089fe2c.png

overview-Gerald-R-Ford.jpg?w=800&h=450&c

Nah he will  be playing in Europe this season

i actually think he would have been a brilliant option beside Dowds this season. He was quick and did a power of running, just needed to score more goals 

Oakley seems a bit of a risk to me. He's just had the best spell of his career at Morton, but was it a flash in the pan or is it sustainable? I'd definitely prefer Dowds, but this might indicate he's not going to sign on.

43 minutes ago, dam00114 said:

Think context is important around Oakley. Only scored 9 in the league last year but swept Morton's player of the year awards and missed most of the final 3rd of the season through injury. 

Our interest in him would indicate to me that Dowds is away (though I hope that's not the case). If we're looking at Dowds replacements as a target man style forward we could definitely do alot worse than Oakley. Championship experience and always looked a physical handful to me when we played them. 

Got a bit of shithousery as well, which we have been lacking in recent years

32 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Nah he will  be playing in Europe this season

i actually think he would have been a brilliant option beside Dowds this season. He was quick and did a power of running, just needed to score more goals 

He was shite.

Christopher Dodds from the Greenock Telegraph saying Oakley is a done deal with both Partick and our offers far exceeding Morton's.

Oakley obviously choosing us for regular gametime instead of being stuck behind Graham at Partick.

3 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Christopher Dodds from the Greenock Telegraph saying Oakley is a done deal with both Partick and our offers far exceeding Morton's.

Oakley obviously choosing us for regular gametime instead of being stuck behind Graham at Partick.

Told a few ours ago it was more or less over the line. However that happened with Toderov a few years back! So I’ll wait for the scarf about the head photo before I believe it. 

57 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Pretty daft to push that rubbish about a fan owned club.

Well, yes but why then are your support crying over being outbid by “little Ayr”. Our clubs are pretty much identical in size except Morton are owned by fans and Ayr are owned by a businessman who’s just built a new stand.

We aren’t rich by any means but I don’t think it’s a ludicrous prospect that, at least this season anyway, Ayr are offering more than Morton can.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Well, yes but why then are your support crying over being outbid by “little Ayr”. Our clubs are pretty much identical in size except Morton are owned by fans and Ayr are owned by a businessman who’s just built a new stand.

We aren’t rich by any means but I don’t think it’s a ludicrous prospect that, at least this season anyway, Ayr are offering more than Morton can.

Because like most fanbases, we also have our fair share of mouth breathers.

The rest of us know that Morton have arguably the smallest budget in the league whilst Ayr are bankrolled.

Edited by Jamie_M

9 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

The rest of us know that Morton have arguably the smallest budget in the league whilst Ayr are bankrolled.

Dave Smith will never Bankroll the club for one he's not that massively wealthy and can just throw ££££s at it, he knows building the infrastructure off the park is the best way of securing the future on the park, as much as he's made mistakes i.e Hopkin he loves the club and won't put it at risk.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Bankrolled he says when we missed out on pretty much all our first, second and third choice targets last season. 

Besides the investment into the ground I’ve seen no suggestion we’re bankrolled and we certainly aren’t backed hugely in terms of the playing squad.