The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Hard luck stories aside, we simply have to address the centre of the midfield.  We theoretically started the season with Dempsey, Syla and Murdoch.  Syla is clearly bombed out for whatever reason and it sounds like Murdoch, on the best analysis, is weeks away from match fitness.  Rus is a quality player, but if we go to places like Morton with so little strength and experience around him, he’ll get kicked off the park.  I doubt Brown needs to be told that, so can only hope moves are afoot.

1 minute ago, muZZa__44 said:

Dowds had a poor game in terms of scoring he got 2 assists today and so far has 5 goal contributions but only 1 goal

Can only score v Airdrie and Queen’s Park 

Defence seemed pretty poor today. Buckie seemed to latch on to that with some of their passing and long balls. Don't know how they didn't equalise in the last minute. 

Henderson had a very good game, thought his composure for 2nd was excellent. Finishing practice is needed, too many chances went straight at Ridgers. 

Felt like one of those games in football manager where you have loads of chances and when you don't score them you know what's going to happen. 

We were immediately chasing goals today, so I can forgive us being open tbh - I wouldn’t be tearing apart our midfield set up just based on today. 

Neither would I be suggesting mental things like Dowds shouldn’t be starting. We need better competition for the front two, that is obvious, but he fully deserves to start the season. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We were immediately chasing goals today, so I can forgive us being open tbh - I wouldn’t be tearing apart our midfield set up just based on today. 

Neither would I be suggesting mental things like Dowds shouldn’t be starting. We need better competition for the front two, that is obvious, but he fully deserves to start the season. 

I thought the midfield was fine today - whilst Murphy was on. We controlled the first half easily and I thought our shape was good as was the likes of Dempsey, Murphy and Reading covering in positions to allow McMann and Rus to go further forward. 

Once Hastie came on I think we lost control and everything became rushed. Murphy could maybe only give us 45 minutes but he showed today that he should still be starting for us and playing when possible. 

I really have zero concerns right now. Get the bodies out the door that we don’t need and sign another midfielder (to replace whoever is leaving) and another striker as that’s the one position we have no cover for. 

I think we’ll be fine against Championship opposition. Still concerning we can’t break down a team sitting deep but I don’t think we’ve ever been able to. The pumpings we’ve dished out in the groups in the past have been against teams that come and have a go.

Dowds’ missing sitters is actually more common than him scoring them. He’s already got a highlight reel of sitters he’s missed this season and it’s still July.

Today also reminded me of what I didn’t like about the NT. It’s full of utter utter p***ks. Guy next to me at the halfway line screaming at Watret for about a minute for waiting on the ball calling it a ‘schoolboy error’. He still is a schoolboy you fud.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I thought the midfield was fine today - whilst Murphy was on. We controlled the first half easily and I thought our shape was good as was the likes of Dempsey, Murphy and Reading covering in positions to allow McMann and Rus to go further forward. 

Once Hastie came on I think we lost control and everything became rushed. Murphy could maybe only give us 45 minutes but he showed today that he should still be starting for us and playing when possible. 

I really have zero concerns right now. Get the bodies out the door that we don’t need and sign another midfielder (to replace whoever is leaving) and another striker as that’s the one position we have no cover for. 

I’m on holiday so didn’t actually see today, but was just speaking generally about the midfield and goals conceded. 

I think that makes sense with Murphy, we have lots of quality, pace and directness in there but someone who can just slow things down when needed is invaluable. 

Yeah, midfielder and striker and I’ll be delighted. A striker that can genuinely challenge Oakley and Dowds though. 

3 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I think we’ll be fine against Championship opposition. Still concerning we can’t break down a team sitting deep but I don’t think we’ve ever been able to. The pumpings we’ve dished out in the groups in the past have been against teams that come and have a go.

Dowds’ missing sitters is actually more common than him scoring them. He’s already got a highlight reel of sitters he’s missed this season and it’s still July.

Today also reminded me of what I didn’t like about the NT. It’s full of utter utter p***ks. Guy next to me at the halfway line screaming at Watret for about a minute for waiting on the ball calling it a ‘schoolboy error’. He still is a schoolboy you fud.

When it comes to Watret especially, we need to be quite protective of him this season when it comes to p***ks like that. 

Tbf, we scored three and apparently missed numerous chances so seem to have broken them down fine. 

Thought it was odd how often Stanger tried to play the ball to the feet of a striker who had his back to goal and a defender draped over him instead of playing in Watret down the line.

55 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I get what you're saying about us being open, there were large parts of the second half where we had 4 defenders and then 6 in a line up against Buckie's defence. It was screaming for a counter against us

Edited by Peil
Typos with no specs on

On another day we could've had double figures in there. So many chances made but the finishing was miles off. Despite having way more chances Buckie were never really out of it and took advantage of us flinging too many folk forward and they just broke quickly and easily outnumbered our defenders.

We looked as if we had other gears we could go up but never actually did.

We won but were so wasteful it was unreal.

1 hour ago, wullieaufc said:

Need to invest in some decent hand held scanners for the turnstiles, woman trying to use an iPad taking about 2 minutes to scan a QR code

There was a big queue at the ticket pod as well because the system was so slow. Woman working there said using the new computer system was like going back in time

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Tbf, we scored three and apparently missed numerous chances so seem to have broken them down fine. 

Probably wrong wording as there was plenty chances created but not too many clear cut enough for our horrendous finishing.

About all I can say is at least the strikers found themselves in the positions to miss. 

We could have been close to double figures in terms of goals today had Dowds not been shite and Bryden been at another club.

We started patiently and controlled the game, Buckie let us come at them and we ended up playing two at the back. Once we went 2 goals up, they decided to put pressure on our defence when we had the ball and leave a man up front, that caused both their goals. I can’t see a situation this season where we will need to score 5 goals so I’m not too worried.

Dowds was dreadful, he has been nowhere near good enough so far this season and has somehow managed to score and set up a couple. Bryden is probably a half away from getting boo’d his first touch lands several feet away from him, he needs to go out on loan and learn his trade, he’s gone backwards being shunted about. 

Rus was quiet but still a stand-out. Henderson was a lot better and Hastie looked worth his place. 

Not too concerned overall, we didn’t find out anything we didn’t know. 
We scored 4 headers midweek and barely hit a cross all game. We were good across the park apart from the inability to finish and the only player we bring on had his  boots on his wrong feet. 

Think that game can be very much be categorised as "one of those days". As others have said, we're going to have no issues creating the chances this season. Was just one of the worst displays of finishing that I can remember for a while. 

We do look extremely open at times which the better teams in the championship will exploit. Midfield is the obvious area to improve and Bryden needs a loan.

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to watching Ayr games again as if we persist with current approach there will be chances galore at both ends. Should be a fun season