The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

25 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

We’ll finish in the play-offs. With a full squad back, we’re well capable of that. 

Even with a full squad, not including Dowds, I'm not so sure. Unless we sign someone in January that will chip in with even half the goals he would.

I enjoyed that game yesterday, despite the howlers . I felt we turned a corner and with McMann back we can push on a bit now, starting at Airdrie next week . The only perplexing issue is why Stone isn’t playing in the team .

Only 8 games & a quarter final before the transfer window opens .

2 minutes ago, railwayend said:

I enjoyed that game yesterday, despite the howlers . I felt we turned a corner and with McMann back we can push on a bit now, starting at Airdrie next week . The only perplexing issue is why Stone isn’t playing in the team .

Only 8 games & a quarter final before the transfer window opens .

I felt we'd turned a corner too. I'd bring Stone and McMann in next week and press Airdrie hard from kick off. If we score first I think their heads will drop.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Even with a full squad, not including Dowds, I'm not so sure. Unless we sign someone in January that will chip in with even half the goals he would.

Dowds is a massive loss. But I don’t we’re a  one man band. At least not like it was with Akinyemi. There are goals in the team and the quality is there. But aye we for sure need another good striker.

I don’t think the rest of the league is up to much though. Even with all the injuries we’ve had, we’ve only lost two games and both of them were to teams you’d expect to be up there. And by all accounts we could’ve just as easily won yesterday’s game.

We just need to get to the next transfer window by being less mediocre than the other mediocrities in the league. Which, for the last few weeks at least, we have been. 

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I think with our squad nearing  full fitness notwithstanding the obvious exception of Dowds we should be well in the hunt for the play offs . Our new reality would suggest, at this point anyway , that our games against Rovers, Thistle and Queens are now of more importance than Livingston and Falkirk! Of course should we have a positive window that could all change again . 

How poor was Bavidge against Falkirk? 

In a game where we have more of the ball, it might be worth trying him and McLennan up front. I think he looks decent during his cameos when he gets the ball in wide areas. 

We lose a bit of a focal point, but Oakley isn’t winning anything in the air anyway and isn’t even doing some of the most basic of bits of hold up play at times. 

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

How poor was Bavidge against Falkirk? 

In a game where we have more of the ball, it might be worth trying him and McLennan up front. I think he looks decent during his cameos when he gets the ball in wide areas. 

We lose a bit of a focal point, but Oakley isn’t winning anything in the air anyway and isn’t even doing some of the most basic of bits of hold up play at times. 

I don't think he was great but he was really playing up front on his own, apparently Walker was meant to be up front with him but he was out on the wing (?!?) Oakley came on and put in the exact same performance so I don't really get it tbh. 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I don't think he was great but he was really playing up front on his own, apparently Walker was meant to be up front with him but he was out on the wing (?!?) Oakley came on and put in the exact same performance so I don't really get it tbh. 

McLennan looks to have some physicality about him so he could potentially offer the back to goal stuff and rotate with Bavidge to drop deep/run in behind. 

If Oakley continues like that it’s worth a try, as it was like Sean McGinty (without the aerial ability) playing up front yesterday. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

McLennan looks to have some physicality about him so he could potentially offer the back to goal stuff and rotate with Bavidge to drop deep/run in behind. 

If Oakley continues like that it’s worth a try, as it was like Sean McGinty (without the aerial ability) playing up front yesterday. 

Musonda the striker, hear me out. 

12 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Musonda the striker, hear me out. 

I mean he’s miles better technically than Oakley…

Has even less pace though!

11 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Bavidge strikes me as a guy who will be better out wide than in a central position. He is good with the ball at his feet but he's not got a clue how to play as a focal point striker.

I think you are possibly right, but I think there is potentially something you could do there as part of a front two. 

Probably the best performance we've had in a while, arguably since we lost dowds.

Only thing lacking was a finisher in final third and still the odd brain fart at the back which we were deadly punished for.

Apart from that there was really nothing in it.

Felt with Dowds we could go toe to toe with Falkirk and Livi but without I've a gut feeling they're both slightly ahead and 3rd is best we can hope for. 

Make or break January to get us a proper replacement for Dowds

FWIW - My take on yesterday is that we were outmuscled and out fought by a much stronger team. We were also very profligate up front, so many spurned opportunities. 

Losing Dowds has hampered us more than I thought it would tbh. He gets himself about and we've missed his energy.

We will be fine this season. We will win another game before January (reference to a poster yesterday) and we won't trouble the playoffs at the wrong end of the table. Hopefully I havent jinxed us!🤞