The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Was there anyone who didn’t want a quality replacement for Paddy, Nick or Mark at the end of last season?

Would anyone have been upset if they had left and joined other clubs during the close season?

Unfortunately it looks like we have added to them, and increased our list of “average squad players that could fill a gap now and then but end up playing each week”.

I suppose it all depends on your expectation levels for the team this season.

Had we not lost Dowds and McMann to injury, I will argue anyone that we would be sitting top of the league right now.

I have nothing personal against Paddy, Nick or Mark and I’m grateful and thankful for their service to the cause, but I would much prefer us to be facing them in another team, than having all 3 on the pitch for us week after week.

Put simply, we ain’t going anywhere fast with them in the team week after week.

57 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

replacement for Paddy, Nick or Mark at the end of last season?

Would anyone have been upset if they had left and joined other clubs during the close season?

Unfortunately it looks like we have added to them, and increased our list of “average squad players that could fill a gap now and then but end up playing each week”.

Had we not lost Dowds and McMann to injury, I will argue anyone that we would be sitting top of the league right now.

I have nothing personal against Paddy, Nick or Mark and I’m grateful and thankful for their service to the cause, but I would much prefer us to be facing them in another team, than having all 3 on the pitch for us week after week.

Mark (who was excellent on Saturday) and Nic are pool players . I thought the signing of McMann would have pushed Paddy to the pool as well , but McMann is so good in the central defence that Paddy has filled the lb slot . Maybe Devlin will come into the team and push McMann over to LB and Paddy to the bench . Dunno ! I have my doubts. 

You are correct though if we are to win this league anytime soon more quality is a must ! 

36 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Mark (who was excellent on Saturday) and Nic are pool players . I thought the signing of McMann would have pushed Paddy to the pool as well , but McMann is so good in the central defence that Paddy has filled the lb slot . Maybe Devlin will come into the team and push McMann over to LB and Paddy to the bench . Dunno ! I have my doubts. 

You are correct though if we are to win this league anytime soon more quality is a must ! 

I'd be very surprised if Devlin makes it to 10 games for us this season.  Get the feeling it's going to be one niggly injury after another.

5 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Was there anyone who didn’t want a quality replacement for Paddy, Nick or Mark at the end of last season?

The output from those three are only going to ever hit a certain level. Some folk are happy with mediocrity though.

3 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

I'd be very surprised if Devlin makes it to 10 games for us this season.  Get the feeling it's going to be one niggly injury after another.

Yeah, it doesn't look likely that year extension is getting triggered at this rate. He's been injured since he joined and I've still no idea what's wrong wit hhim

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Found this old signed ball when I was clearing out the cupboard. Anyone recognise any of the signatures because I can't make a single one of them out

PXL_20241023_185333672.jpg

PXL_20241023_185347463.jpg

PXL_20241023_185404154.jpg

PXL_20241023_185420970.jpg

Top one Ryan Boris maybe?

5 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I'd have been happy if they were all replaced. But they're there for a reason - which is as you say "average players that could fill a gap". Wouldn't have lamented the loss of any of them, but the players that've been brought in to replace them are all crocked so we're playing with the hand we've been dealt for now. 

I think everybody would prefer us not to be playing them week in week out. Nobody is content with that. My gripe is that they seem to be getting grief for having the cheek of being picked to play, when the only reason they're on the park is through injuries to better players. 

And i've picked up the vibe on here recently that "well, we've spent a decent budget. We're not playing great. It's a shitshow. And it's all because Brown insists on playing these three shiters every week". Again, seems to miss the one huge point that we're a team of walking wounded. Just so happens that the injured players are the ones we've spent some money on and are our standouts. I guess you could spend all the money you want on players. But if they've f**ked their ACL, done their back in or pulled a muscle then they'll no be playing. 

Safe to say that McAllister and likely McKenzie will not be in the starting XI on Saturday coming. I'm no Reading fan but I don't see him losing his spot until Devlin proves he is a) fit and b) too good to drop.

11 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Safe to say that McAllister and likely McKenzie will not be in the starting XI on Saturday coming. I'm no Reading fan but I don't see him losing his spot until Devlin proves he is a) fit and b) too good to drop.

Russell

Musonda Stanger McMann Reading 

Henderson Dempsey Rus Murphy 

McLennan Oakley  

28 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Safe to say that McAllister and likely McKenzie will not be in the starting XI on Saturday coming. I'm no Reading fan but I don't see him losing his spot until Devlin proves he is a) fit and b) too good to drop

I think McKenzie may well hold his starting place .

16 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I agree with you . If we want premiership  ready team these players should be nowhere near the team 

11 hours ago, railwayend said:

I think McKenzie may well hold his starting place .

I'd be up for that but I think he's best in centre mid just pressing and working hard. For me this would be our best 11 

Screenshot_20241024-085952.png